1. 1. Your Favorite Flyers OT Goal

• Gary Dornhoefer; April 10, 1973; Quarterfinal vs. Minnesota
    • Joffrey Lupul; April 22, 2008; Conference Semifinal at Washington
    • Jeremy Roenick; May 4, 2004; Conference Semifinal at Toronto
    • Keith Primeau; May 4, 2000; Conference Semifinal at Pittsburgh
    • Bobby Clarke; May 9, 1974; Stanley Cup Final Game 2 at Boston
    • Simone Gagne; May 7, 2010; Conference Semifinal Game 4 at Philladelphia
    • Other

This one is not well known but may be recalled if you were a fan of the mid to late 80s Flyers. It was the first round of the 1987-1988 playoffs vs the Crapitals. The Flyers were down 4-1 going into the 3rd period. They began mounting a comeback and ended up tying it in the last minute of play on a goal by big Kjell. Very early in the first OT my man Poulin interrupted a clearing attempt by the Caps, fed it to Toc, who fed it to Craven who potted it 1:18 into the first OT putting the Flyers up 3-1 in the series. It didn't end up being an important goal in the end because we managed to blow the series losing in OT in game 7 on a dale hunter breakaway?!?!?

One of the funniest things about this goal is right before Poulin steals the puck Toc knocks over Craven behind the net. Luckilly they recover to set up the goal.

I had the privilege of being at this game and wanted to leave so bad when they were down but my dad refused to leave and I so glad he did! (I was 12 at the time). The place was ear splitting for the tying and winning goals!

Anyway here is the clip

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=88678&catid=774

Edited by Poulin20
  • Like 1

This one is not well known but may be recalled if you were a fan of the mid to late 80s Flyers. It was the first round of the 1987-1988 playoffs vs the Crapitals. The Flyers were down 4-1 going into the 3rd period. They began mounting a comeback and ended up tying it in the last minute of play on a goal by big Kjell. Very early in the first OT my man Poulin interrupted a clearing attempt by the Caps, fed it to Toc, who fed it to Craven who potted it 1:18 into the first OT putting the Flyers up 3-1 in the series. It didn't end up being an important goal in the end because we managed to blow the series losing in OT in game 7 on a dale hunter breakaway?!?!?

One of the funniest things about this goal is right before Poulin steals the puck Toc knocks over Craven behind the net. Luckilly they recover to set up the goal.

I had the privilege of being at this game and wanted to leave so bad when they were down but my dad refused to leave and I so glad he did! (I was 12 at the time). The place was ear splitting for the tying and winning goals!

Anyway here is the clip

http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=88678&catid=774

What a great memory.  I was a freshman in college and listening on the radio.  And yes I remember the Dale Hunter breakaway. I was so pisssed. I think I was studying for an exam the following morning and almost threw my book out my dorm window..  I absolutely loved those mid-80's teams.

@Poulin20 20th

Glad you brought that one up, I was watching from my second home in Section 28 that day. Stunning comeback, I think the boys were actually down 4-1 with only 9 minutes left. When OT started the Caps looked completely deflated, Flyers had all the jump and wham it was over in the blink of an eye.

But of course that all led to Dale f***ing Hunter scoring on Hexy on a breakaway in OT of game 7 at the Crap Center, which was one of the most gut wrenching moments as a fan for me....and probably for most of us who are old enough to remember, but that would be a different thread entirely

2004 Game 6 anyone?

My oldest son was 11 at the time, just getting into the Flyers for real. Time is ticking down in the 3rd period, looks like we're going to be eliminated, I'm trying to come up with the words to give him about good season and looking forward to next year....bang Primeau sends it to OT, Gagne with the winner

Edited by sarsippius

I just figured all of those were ultimately in losing series.

But JJ's was enormous and those Gagne goals you mentioned were awesome too. Though at the time gagne was almost an afterthought against the lightning.

Primeau was having such an epic playoffs and the last minute goal to tie game 6 followed by the set up on GAgne's finisher in OT really seemed to make both feel like they were primeau's goals.

It's a real shame the rest of the team didn't have anything left in the tank at that point Or they might have had a better chance in game 7.

Agree with all but Lupuls goal. JJ Daignaults goal that sent the Flyers to game 7 of the finals against the Oilers was bigger than Lupuls IMO. I'd put a couple of goals by Gagne ahead too. The "down 3-0" in games and goals comeback win, and the game 6 OT winner against the Lightning in the conference finals.

That was 88 right?

Really hard one to swallow. I remember Howe breaking his stick on the net in frustration as hunter skated back to his team.

Always hated that punk.

@Poulin20 20th

Glad you brought that one up, I was watching from my second home in Section 28 that day. Stunning comeback, I think the boys were actually down 4-1 with only 9 minutes left. When OT started the Caps looked completely deflated, Flyers had all the jump and wham it was over in the blink of an eye.

But of course that all led to Dale f***ing Hunter scoring on Hexy on a breakaway in OT of game 7 at the Crap Center, which was one of the most gut wrenching moments as a fan for me....and probably for most of us who are old enough to remember, but that would be a different thread entirely

@Poulin20 20th

Oh wow you were in the house too for that?  We had our season tix up in row 1 of section 65 in the 3rd level but were able to move down to the second level for all 1:18 of OT as a bunch of people had left early (as I had wanted to).  After the Flyers took the Oilers to 7 the year before I was sure that this was the year we would get over the hump and it looked like we were going to be a force in the POs after this win.  I have no clue how they blew this series and then game 7, which was a debacle in itself.  Like the Bruins vs the Flyers in 2010 they took a 3-0 lead only to give up 4 unanswered goals to have Brad Marsh of all people tie it and send it to OT.  Bizarre game and series.  Like the year before this season ended with me in complete tears.  I think it was the last time I cried about the Flyers losing in my life as I turned 13 the next year and the testosterone began to kick in.

Like the year before this season ended with me in complete tears. I think it was the last time I cried about the Flyers losing in my life as I turned 13 the next year and the testosterone began to kick in.

Forget the exact age, but somewhere around 12 or 13 was the last time I actually cried. Well, that's actually not true, but when the Devils came back and beat us down 3-1 in games, there were tears, but it was not sadness, they were tears of actual frustration and pure hatred. At that moment, I never hated a team more than I hated the Devils.

When I was 9 and 10, we won the Cup...and when I was 11 we made the finals once again. I kinda figured that was what *supposed* to happen on a yearly basis....little did I know. During the 80's, (my teen years) I would routinely lock myself in my room and not come out for days after the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs, I did come out to go to the washroom, but I would go on hunger strikes, using the ol' "I'll show them, I'll hurt me" brilliant line of thinking....LOL!

I don't take it as bad of late, but for an entire week after they lose...it's there, you know it's there....and I can't shake the underlying sense of sorrow.....it lasts at least a week, sometimes a month. I'm much more capable of getting in a fight with the girlfriend, or anyone else for that matter. Immature, maybe...probably, but it just means so damn much, it's like a huge open festering wound.

I think I too shed tears of rage in 2000 as well but part of that probably has something to do with realizing Lindros' career was most likely done and also pissed Brodeur got away with a stick to JLC's face that gave him 40 stitches. Oh that and Adam Burt being out of position so damn badly on the losing goal. Okay. A lot of things had me pissed.

...also I had been drinking that night.

Quite a bit. Like a lot.

Which I'm sure any of us who were old enough probably where that night.

In 2004 I was bummed but I felt like they left it all out there. So i wasn't really that upset. There was no lack of effort against those Bolts... Just a lack of endurance maybe.

2008 had me angry again and ready to beat the hell out of some refs not to mention Bettman.

2010 once again found me conflicted. A) we were most likely out of our league and had no business being in a cup finals without a goalie, so it was hard to feel too upset...

But B) the shoot out to get into the playoffs and then the Bruins series really made it seem like destiny. But i guess destiny had other plans.

Edited by King Knut

• 3 weeks later...

April 25th, 2009.

One of the best games ever.

I actually had to google it because I have no idea what game you are refering too.  I believe the topic at hand is the Top 5 Flyers OT goals. I believe you accidently posted your response in the wrong thread.  The game you are refering to has nothing to do with the topic at at hand.  Thank You.

I actually had to google it because I have no idea what game you are refering too.  I believe the topic at hand is the Top 5 Flyers OT goals. I believe you accidently posted your response in the wrong thread.  The game you are refering to has nothing to do with the topic at at hand.  Thank You.

(googles date)

Pens fan citing the Talbot shush event in a totally unrelated thread?  Seems legit :ph34r:

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic. 

Just saying...