1. 1. Your Favorite Flyers OT Goal

• Gary Dornhoefer; April 10, 1973; Quarterfinal vs. Minnesota
    • Joffrey Lupul; April 22, 2008; Conference Semifinal at Washington
    • Jeremy Roenick; May 4, 2004; Conference Semifinal at Toronto
    • Keith Primeau; May 4, 2000; Conference Semifinal at Pittsburgh
    • Bobby Clarke; May 9, 1974; Stanley Cup Final Game 2 at Boston
    • Simone Gagne; May 7, 2010; Conference Semifinal Game 4 at Philladelphia
    • Other

Can't argue with any of the 5 listed by Bleacher Report. They seemed to have put a lot of effort into selecting the goals with the most historical context. Love the addition of Gary Dornhoffer's 1973 Game 5 goal to allow the Flyers to win their first ever playoff series. That was one year before they won the cup, if the Flyers don't win that series against the North Stars, they don't gain the invaluable playoff experience that was needed for their cup win the following year.

I had a feeling that Clarke's goal against the Bruins would be #1, and deservedly so. If he does not score that goal, IMHO....that series goes a different way.

Pretty cool article....enjoy!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136554-ranking-the-5-most-important-overtime-goals-in-philadelphia-flyers-history

Edited by hf101
Added Poll

Honorable mention to Kevin Haller (?) against the Rags in 95 playoffs

Edit:

This one: http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?19950055

Games 1 and 2 of that series were both OT wins, I always mix up which was Desjardins and which was Haller. I was referring Game 2 that put the Flyboys up 2-0 against the defending Cup champs (yeccch), after 5 straight years out of the playoffs, to that me that was the biggest goal since JJ

Edited by sarsippius

Honorable mention to Kevin Haller (?) against the Rags in 95 playoffs

If only Hextall wouldn't have given up that horrible goal to Leetch just inside the blueline a the game tying goal my that was ugly...but yes a good goal by Haller.

Hockey was just so differently played in the 90's than it is now all that ice to skate now there is none. Funny how styles have changed. No way Gretzky scores 92 goals verse today teams....no way.

Kinda disappointed that the left out the part about Sami Kappanen being knocked nearly unconscious and Primeau reaching fromt he bench, trying to drag Sami off so they could substitute for him.

If the ref blows that play dead, Roenick never gets the chance to score.  Primeau and Kappy earned tertiary assists a shift before the goal even happened.  Really dramatic and crazy to watch.

Can't argue with any of the 5 listed by Bleacher Report. They seemed to have put a lot of effort into selecting the goals with the most historical context. Love the addition of Gary Dornhoffer's 1973 Game 5 goal to allow the Flyers to win their first ever playoff series. That was one year before they won the cup, if the Flyers don't win that series against the North Stars, they don't gain the invaluable playoff experience that was needed for their cup win the following year.

I had a feeling that Clarke's goal against the Bruins would be #1, and deservedly so. If he does not score that goal, IMHO....that series goes a different way.

Pretty cool article....enjoy!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2136554-ranking-the-5-most-important-overtime-goals-in-philadelphia-flyers-history

Gretzky Scoring 92 goals is a big part of the reason the game changed so drastically.

I still say Lindros and then Forsberg entering the league is what necessitated the trap and clutch and grab that came to define the 2nd half of the 90's and early 2000's.  Man that was frustrating hockey.

If only Hextall wouldn't have given up that horrible goal to Leetch just inside the blueline a the game tying goal my that was ugly...but yes a good goal by Haller.

Hockey was just so differently played in the 90's than it is now all that ice to skate now there is none. Funny how styles have changed. No way Gretzky scores 92 goals verse today teams....no way.

In retrospect, it sure was important, but man oh man nothing felt like Primeau's goal...  that was just such a release.  I mean I felt like I'd been to war with all of them it was just such an epic build up and delivery.

Only change I would make is moving Dorny's up to #2. That was the goal that legitimized Flyer hockey and @jammer2 said gave them confidence and experience carrying over into the first Cup year

In retrospect, it sure was important, but man oh man nothing felt like Primeau's goal... that was just such a release. I mean I felt like I'd been to war with all of them it was just such an epic build up and delivery.

I remember putting a pot of coffee on after the third OT! You're right, Primeau somehow finding the strength to make that inside out move and fire it home was just amazing, 1:45 in the morning and I've got a buddy calling me a we're screaming our heads off. Incredible moment. As the OTs wore on, you just knew the lose of that wouldn't have the legs to win the series.

I remember putting a pot of coffee on after the third OT! You're right, Primeau somehow finding the strength to make that inside out move and fire it home was just amazing, 1:45 in the morning and I've got a buddy calling me a we're screaming our heads off. Incredible moment. As the OTs wore on, you just knew the lose of that wouldn't have the legs to win the series.

I remember sitting with my pops on the couch yelling at the top of our lungs at 2:30 in the a.m. while my mom and 3 baby sisters slept. What an incedible moment to be a Flyers fan!

Kinda disappointed that the left out the part about Sami Kappanen being knocked nearly unconscious and Primeau reaching fromt he bench, trying to drag Sami off so they could substitute for him.

If the ref blows that play dead, Roenick never gets the chance to score.  Primeau and Kappy earned tertiary assists a shift before the goal even happened.  Really dramatic and crazy to watch.

Excellent point KK, when I was watching the clip they chose for J.R, I was watching for Sami skating off and sadly, they left off that part. There was no J.R goal if not for the courage of Sami getting up all dizzy and *somehow* making his way to the bench. Sami's will to win was so strong, he got up on *pure* instinct and got out of the play....I swear, 95% of players just lie there and don't move, effectively blowing the play dead. That play embodied Sami's stay on the Flyers, the courage and heart of a champ, he *always* left it all out on the ice....what a great Flyer!!

• Like 1

Agree with all but Lupuls goal. JJ Daignaults goal that sent the Flyers to game 7 of the finals against the Oilers was bigger than Lupuls IMO. I'd put a couple of goals by Gagne ahead too. The "down 3-0" in games and goals comeback win, and the game 6 OT winner against the Lightning in the conference finals.

Agree with all but Lupuls goal. JJ Daignaults goal that sent the Flyers to game 7 of the finals against the Oilers was bigger than Lupuls IMO. I'd put a couple of goals by Gagne ahead too. The "down 3-0" in games and goals comeback win, and the game 6 OT winner against the Lightning in the conference finals.

Agree his goal was HUGE...but if I remember correctly that was still during regulation.....I think the topic at hand is just considering OT goals.  Agree..I was jumping up and down over JJ's goal though. 

Excellent point KK, when I was watching the clip they chose for J.R, I was watching for Sami skating off and sadly, they left off that part. There was no J.R goal if not for the courage of Sami getting up all dizzy and *somehow* making his way to the bench. Sami's will to win was so strong, he got up on *pure* instinct and got out of the play....I swear, 95% of players just lie there and don't move, effectively blowing the play dead. That play embodied Sami's stay on the Flyers, the courage and heart of a champ, he *always* left it all out on the ice....what a great Flyer!!

PREACH! :)

@flyercanuck  I know Lupul's goal was in OT in a game 7 to outright win a series, but the goal itself was just a flimsy backhand, not exactly spectacular....I was most suspicious of that goal being included, just thought there could/should have been another important goal to replace that one. There was other OT goals in the finals for the Flyers in the Seventies, so perhaps they should be included....I think McLeish got a biggie back then. 

@pilldoc

Right. Guess I missed that important part of it.

I'm with you on the thought though, JJ was my favorite Flyer goal ever, I literally get a lump in my throat every time I watch it. And Propp tying it up on the PP a minute or so earlier is #2

And with the poll question changing the topic slightly, I still believe Clarkie and Dorny scored the 2 most important OT goals in team history...but I was 5 in 1973 and 6 when Clarke shocked Boston, so I don't really remember them from the time. So my favorite vote goes to Primeau, which I will always remember vividly

And with the poll question changing the topic slightly, I still believe Clarkie and Dorny scored the 2 most important OT goals in team history...but I was 5 in 1973 and 6 when Clarke shocked Boston, so I don't really remember them from the time. So my favorite vote goes to Primeau, which I will always remember vividly

That's pretty well where I'm at also. I think historically, Clarke's was more important cause it turned the tide in a final and lead to a SC victory.....But Kieth, I was at least an adult and will always have a fresh memory of that.  Clarke's goal, I was only 7, I remember it,. but not to well.

I was working during the game Kieth scored, but once OT started, the rest of the plant chipped in and actually did my job for me, so I could watch the game in the Cafeteria. As it dragged on and on, my shift ended, and we all went to a bar after work to watch the rest....the bar actually stayed open later than was legal....so I could watch...so a LOT of people combined to allow me to have this memory, which makes it that much more special from a personal perspective. I don't work there anymore, but when I run into people I worked with.....they always bring up that game and how proud they were to have done their part to allow me to see it....pretty cool stuff!!