Is this the year Cooter and B. Schenn become NHLers ?

The Quigster

I think you gotta try to love him to wing and see if he takes off there. Otherwise, IMHO, yeah. Trade bait.

Greetings:

Another aspect to Schenn is trade-bait status. If he has an improved year he (and probably his brother) become highly marketable, a consideration on a team with lots of forwards in the system who may be NHL material. On the other hand, a so-so year means we are effectively stuck with the second year of a contract (and lost roster slot) to no avail. By the way, I am not convinced the brothers are a duo for deployment, but others here feel differently.

Peace,

Howie

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see no reason why this team wouldn't make the playoffs.

Losing Kimmo will definitely hurt and I know we all think last year was cute but a bust, but they were better by the endnofnlast year than any of us give them credit for.

I see VLC or Brayden traded by New Years. And I don't think anyone gives MacDonald and Streit enough credit. They're not going to be world class but they will benefit this team.

I see no reason why any close compeitior got "so" much better than the flyers did.

Injuries could crush this team though. There's no room for error there.

This season is going to be painful and I highly doubt a playoff year.

That's okay if we're looking ahead to the defensive prospects and Hextall gets to be patient and build. On the other hand, Giroux et al. are not getting any younger.

agree as well... outside of G, Jake and Simmer (soon to be Cooter too I believe) this is an average offensive Team. Not sure how anyone can look at this current Team and think they are better than last year's group. Even with the HUGE addition of RJ ( :ph34r: )... this is truly a transition year IMO and I am fine with that. Give Hexy some time to build this group - with patience I do believe good things will happen.

We really need B.Schenn and Read to step up and provide depth in the goal dept. This should be the best version of Read we have seen, he's fully broke in, was not young when he broke in...and he's had a few years to get used to his surroundings. A lot depends on the linemates, but 30 goals out of Read and 25 out of B.Schenn is not out of the question. Maybe 30-35 for Simmer with decent linemates. Vorachek should be 40+ this year, so the goal potential is there....these guys just have to live up to expectations....and we need a few surprises, which is quite possible also.

I see no reason why this team wouldn't make the playoffs.

Losing Kimmo will definitely hurt and I know we all think last year was cute but a bust, but they were better by the endnofnlast year than any of us give them credit for.

I see VLC or Brayden traded by New Years. And I don't think anyone gives MacDonald and Streit enough credit. They're not going to be world class but they will benefit this team.

I see no reason why any close compeitior got "so" much better than the flyers did.

Injuries could crush this team though. There's no room for error there.

Alright. So Pittsburgh is a given. I don't see Columbus finishing less than second.

Then you have NYR, Washington and Philly for the final two spots. I do not think both wild cards are coming from the Metro.

Washington got significantly better on paper. It's a matter of whether Ovechkin is able to buy into anything that isn't solely about him.

But specifically regarding the Flyers: I don't see where the offense is going to come from. They haven't answered who's going to play with Jake and G. They have a bunch of nice piece players but if they're playing chess they're short some rooks and possibly a knight or two.

And they are going to need offense because, really, their defense is not good. I've been an ardent supporter of MacDonald since before we traded for him, but my caveat has always been that he should not be given top pair time or responsibility. His play significantly drops off under those conditions. My fear is that it's exactly what the Flyers intend to do with him.

Streit is what he is. I've never disliked the guy and he was a decent fantasy player. But he IS suspect on D. The plus about Timonen being out is that now Streit gets first power play time.

Coburn will be really very good 30% of the time, as always. But then there's the 40% of the time that he makes me long for James Vandermeer.

I don't think either the offense N or the defense is good enough to overcome the mediocrity of the other.

I just simply don't see this roster as a playoff team. I don't see them as two years ago bad, either, but I don't see them getting in.

Keep the faith, though, right?

I don't know who thinks they're better. But I'm not sure they're THAT much worse.

Whatever degree worse the are is so very Much on Homer and it's likely to stay that way for some time. I'm just not sure we know how bad that is yet.

agree as well... outside of G, Jake and Simmer (soon to be Cooter too I believe) this is an average offensive Team. Not sure how anyone can look at this current Team and think they are better than last year's group. Even with the HUGE addition of RJ ( :ph34r: )... this is truly a transition year IMO and I am fine with that. Give Hexy some time to build this group - with patience I do believe good things will happen.

Well, surprisingly enough, he was almost on average to score 40 goals in the strike shortened season. He had 22 goals in 48 games, which is a pace for 38 goals (rounded up....37.58 actually). Last year, Vorachek regressed, only scoring 23 goals on the full season. Keeping these figures in mind, is it *really* that big of a stretch to think he might score 40?  You guys make it sound like it's an impossibility, but he has already come close in the strike year, per average.

Well, surprisingly enough, he was almost on average to score 40 goals in the strike shortened season. He had 22 goals in 48 games, which is a pace for 38 goals (rounded up....37.58 actually). Last year, Vorachek regressed, only scoring 23 goals on the full season. Keeping these figures in mind, is it *really* that big of a stretch to think he might score 40? You guys make it sound like it's an impossibility, but he has already come close in the strike year, per average.

I suppose. But I do wonder about his consistency over the course of a full season. That and the lack of someone on the other side

@ruxpin  Yes, the full season thing is HUGE, it's one thing to almost average it in a strike shortened season, quite another to do it over a full 82 game schedule....but coming close in the strike year tells me he can accomplish it...it is possible. The other thing you mentioned is also big....if they have a stiff just taking up space like Ummby, well then it's not gonna happen. They need a guy like Read on that line, who can react and play off G's and V's strengths.

Some around here just get a kick on being negative around here i'd just take it with a grain of salt. It is within the realm of possibility. Unlikely yes. But it could happen.

Seriously, though, while I would be very pleasantly surprised, @jammer2 is right that Jake has proven that he can maintain that pace for over half a season. So it's possible. Honestly, I would be ecstatic if both he and Giroux netted 30. Jammer is also right saying that will require more than Umberger.

You never know, Umby could surprisingly thrive on that line.

You never know, Umby could surprisingly thrive on that line.

Yes he could.....Scott Hartnell was almost a 40 goal scorer after playing with Giroux, Jagr helped a lot too. Though it's highly unlikely yet possible.

I must say one of the most intriguing guys i want to see in camp/preseason is Bellemare, i want to see if he can land a spot in the top 9 with his speed and shot i seen in the many youtube clips.....will it translate.....man if it does he would look sweet on G's left wing.

Yes he could.....Scott Hartnell was almost a 40 goal scorer after playing with Giroux, Jagr helped a lot too. Though it's highly unlikely yet possible.

I must say one of the most intriguing guys i want to see in camp/preseason is Bellemare, i want to see if he can land a spot in the top 9 with his speed and shot i seen in the many youtube clips.....will it translate.....man if it does he would look sweet on G's left wing.

You know, I actually forgot about Bellemare. He definitely could make it interesting. Someone mentioned Akeson. He, too, could be a possibility. I'm really not sold on him next to Giroux, though. Where is Nodl when you need him?

although I'm capable of being guilty of it

I can to as well. I'm the president of the "Coburn for Whipping boy" campaign. However i do not just want to trade him for anything. I just want he to eliminate the mistakes and play more consistently.

I don't think that is unreasonable he is old enough and is expected to be a leader for this group. I know he can do it he has done it for stretches he just needs to work on his consistency.

He just needs to play smarter. And i want him to this year.....if he does i swear i'll resign from my position as president.

Someone mentioned Akeson. He, too, could be a possibility. I'm really not sold on him next to Giroux, though.

Yeah and he is a little on the small side to plus he is more suited as a RW. Bellemare to me is the wild card. He is 6-1 195 andis 29 so he is mature enough and man he man move on the ice. From the clips i seen he can snap it too.

I'm not sure if he can do it but if he can and then Brayden could center the 2nd with Simmer that would be a plus.

I would like this one...

Bellemare/Giroux/Jake

Raffl/Schenn/Simmer

RJ/Coots/Read

Akeson/VLC/White

or

Bellemare/Giroux/Jake

RJ/Schenn/Simmer

Read/Coots/Akeson

Raffl/VLC/White

and when grit is needed insert Zac for one of the 4th liners.

Yeah and he is a little on the small side to plus he is more suited as a RW. Bellemare to me is the wild card. He is 6-1 195 andis 29 so he is mature enough and man he man move on the ice. From the clips i seen he can snap it too.

I'm not sure if he can do it but if he can and then Brayden could center the 2nd with Simmer that would be a plus.

I would like this one...

Bellemare/Giroux/Jake

Raffl/Schenn/Simmer

RJ/Coots/Read

Akeson/VLC/White

or

Bellemare/Giroux/Jake

RJ/Schenn/Simmer

Read/Coots/Akeson

Raffl/VLC/White

and when grit is needed insert Zac for one of the 4th liners.

I agree with the lines for the most part but I have to tell you:

For whatever reason, this seems eerily similar to my friend and me sitting on his dorm stoop on a hot August night convincing each other that Andrei Lomakin was going to be great and that the 1991-92 Flyers were going to be contenders.

For whatever reason, this seems eerily similar to my friend and me sitting on his dorm stoop on a hot August night convincing each other that Andrei Lomakin was going to be great and that the 1991-92 Flyers were going to be contenders.

Anyways before i was side tracked. I can't say i remember seeing him play with the Flyers, or even remember him being expected to do much. So what become of him?

Andrei Lomakin was going to be great and that the 1991-92 Flyers were going to be contenders

Ok i looked him up and see he died before really ever playing for the Flyers sad to hear. So how do these two compare Rux?

Ok i looked him up and see he died before really ever playing for the Flyers sad to hear. So how do these two compare Rux?

Lomakin himself doesn't really directly correlate but we sat there before that season putting lines together with square pegs, round holes, green clovers etc. and talking about playoffs etc. They were pitiful.

It's just a weird ffeeling have that I'm doing it again.

In this instance, it really is horribly negative on my part. But where I SHOULD be really hopeful about a relatively young teen, I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be a toss away season.

If that means build to better things later on, I'm perfectly okay with that. I'm just hoping it can be entertaining this year and they at least hang around until the end. The really long off season stinks, though.

Lomakin played over 100 games for the Flyers. I loved him, but my memory of his on ice play is conflated with his insanely good play in Sega.

But where I SHOULD be really hopeful about a relatively young teen

Which young teen are you talking about?

But yeah i understand what you're saying about trying to figure all this out now not know how they are going to lay out the lines, who plays with who and all.

Lomakin played over 100 games for the Flyers.

Wow i don't remember him but i'll admit it wasn't like i could watch all the games during a season back then. I mainly watched all the ones broadcasted on ESPN back in the day.

Archived