What changes will Maurice make to improve the Jets?

hf101

The Winnipeg Jets didn't really get any better in the offseason, at least with personnel. The only addition through free agency was Mathieu Perreault. Management has stated they will build from within their system. To make a playoff push in 2014-15 the Jets are going to need a number of established players to step up and make a much bigger impact than last season. What changes can Maurice make in order to move the Jets to the Playoffs?

Many fans are concerned with goaltending, as Ondrej Pavelec is still the designated starter as he has stated he is in the best shape of his career.  Michael Hutchinson played the final three games of the season and showed promise last season as the designated backup.  Bryzgalov doesn't have a job - maybe he would be a good fit for the Jets if Hutchinson isn't ready.  

The hottest topic in Winnipeg for over a year has been Evander Kane as rumors swirled regarding a potential trade.  Last year Kane's minutes were decreased on the second line. But under Maurice can he become one of the top left wingers in the league on the first line along side Scheifele and Wheeler?  And speaking of a possible promotion to the first line, will Sheifele break the 60pt barrier?

To make a playoff push in 2014-15 the Jets are also going to need a number of established players to step up and make a much bigger impact than last season such as Ladd, Enstrom and Byfuglien. Will Maurice keep Byfuglien as a forward or will he move back to his defensive position? A right-winger by trade, Buff is behind Wheeler and Michael Frolik on the depth chart on the right side. It seems to me Bufuglien would get more valuable minutes on defense.

Another question mark that will be sorted out during training camp is will Josh Morrissey crack the Jets lineup?  The Jets 2013 first round pick likely have to beat out one of Grant Clitsome, Keaton Ellerby or Adam Pardy for a spot on the roster. Morressey had 73 points in 59 games last season in the WHL. 

I have to say I like the possibility of Scheifele centering Kane and Wheeler and Morrissey making the roster.  I think the Jets need another netminder such as Bryz. Although they may become more competetive this season I don't think it will be enough to make the playoffs what are your thoughts?

@hf101

I'm not sure what changes Maurice can make that he hasn't already made. He can't make Pavs a more consistent/better goalie. He can start Hutch, but that's a total crapshoot.

I think Morrisey could make the team. He's that good IMHO. Between him and Trouba two of the best, most dynamic D-men in the league. The Byfuglian problem is a good one to have really, since at least it gives you options. The single best thing that is happening is a healthy Scheifele.

I think they are hard-pressed to make the playoffs in Year 4 of this project. I think Chevy is being too patient/too cheap, although I like the signing of Perreault very much. They have not, for example, tried very hard to bring Burmistrov back from Russia under a new coach. I could see that kid blossoming under Maurice. 

I love Maurice as a head coach, he seemed to define roles for all of the players once he took over, I see the same thing happening.

They have talent, lots of it but a lot of square pegs/round holes. Guys playing out of position or killing penalties who are not PK guys, a strange mix. Maurice, over a full season should be able to address that and define players and put them in a position to excel. No offense to Noel, the previous coach but he never established an identity within the team.

Pavelec is a major problem, I simply do not know what they are thinking. There are, I would say at a guess 50 better goalies than him, I see him as a low end backup, a Clemmenson or someone like that, my God how many chances will this man get? I don't blame that on the coach, I blame the GM who gave him a long term extention.

Getting rid of Buff would help other players settle into a role, or telling Buff he is a winger or a d-man, and leaving him wherever and quit the great experiment trying to move him around. He has obvious holes both ways, personally I would play him on the wing but move him to the point on power plays where very few are better.

Little, Ladd, the rest are serviceable and nice players, Kane probably will need to be moved at some point before his value falls off the floor, he is a solid player but seems to hate it in Winnipeg.

Lots of young likeable d-men, Trouba, Bogo, Enstrom, some took a step up, some took a step back, that needs to settle and eliminate the chaos in front of the fragile goalie.

I do not see them as a playoff team in the West, too many teams ahead of them. They would likely be in the mix in the East but that is the way the breaks go sometime. Replace Pavelec, probably deal Kane and either settle on a position for Buff or deal him too and ;et the kids develop. Get Burmistrov back from Russia and try him as a top six forward and see if a new coach can get the talent out of him to translate to North America. That is what I would do. Even with that, playoff chances are dim at best.

@yave1964  Agree with the whole post.  The decision to extend Pavlec (aka Mr. Average) will hamstring this franchise for a long, long time. It's a game changer, a unforgivable mistake.

I had forgotten that the Jets signed Clitsome and Ellerby. This gives them tremendous depth on defense. Ellerby is one of the vastly underrated d-men in the league. He does not get a lot of press, because he plays a very safe, controlled game. He is great at nothing but good at everything. Not that the Jets need points from their defense, but Clitsome ( to be forever known as Clitter from this point forward...LOL!) has some very underrated offensive skills.

@Podein25  From the very first moment that I saw P.K Subban, I quietly muttered to myself...."WOW, this kid is gonna win the Norris someday". I'm gonna go ahead and extend Trouba the same compliment. Jacob is electric, with skill and work ethic oozng out of every pore. Within 5 years, Trouba will indeed win the Norris. Not only that, the potential pairing of Trouba and Morrisey will end up being vastly superior to the fine Yotes pairing of OEL and Yandle. Trouba has it all skating, smarts, shot....the sky is the limit.

• 3 months later...

From the very first moment that I saw P.K Subban, I quietly muttered to myself...."WOW, this kid is gonna win the Norris someday". I'm gonna go ahead and extend Trouba the same compliment.

Wow i don't know how i missed or overlooked how stacked they have become.....but i did.

In the cupboards...

Ehlers, De Leo, Petan, Trouba (ok he is in the NHL), Morrissey and Jack Glover.....damn that is a nice collection of young talent.

I guess i haven't paid much attention to them but i've taken notice now. Wow.

@OccamsRazor

A team that just lets happen what may, and lets their young guys develop until they're ready. Still a few years away fro being a legit threat, but they're doing it right. 

We call them Barrie Colts West.   :thumbsu:

Yes they seem to be building a nice core for years to come. I just can't believe how under the radar it seems.....not really it's just because i haven't payed much attention to them but i will not from now on.

Start after start, Hutchinson is proving to be the real deal. He's starting every second game in an all out strict game by game rotation, faces be best teams in the league and *still* has a sub 2.00 GGA  He's first in the NHL now in GGA....They need to start him more, early apologies to any Pavlec fans......if such creatures exist.

Start after start, Hutchinson is proving to be the real deal. He's starting every second game in an all out strict game by game rotation, faces be best teams in the league and *still* has a sub 2.00 GGA  He's first in the NHL now in GGA....They need to start him more, early apologies to any Pavlec fans......if such creatures exist.

Yes and Bruins just let him walk...he of a signing for the Jets.

Archived