Druin out 3-4 weeks

pilldoc

Just saw that Druin fractured his thumb and will be out 3-4 weeks.

Outstanding.......

Could still be back in time for very early in the regular season, if not opening night, but still, he will miss out on important pre-season if only to get a comfort level for playing with what SHOULD be his new teammates, the Tampa Bay Lightning and NOT the Halifax Mooseheads.....

Good thing the Bolts have depth up front, but I want to see this guy come out flying if he is given a shot at the NHL this year.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  From what I have heard, it will not effect his ability to make the team. When he is totally healthy he's expected to get the standard 9 game try out, and he will be judged on those 9 games, so he still has a real chance to stick this year. My money is on this season being his rookie year.

@TropicalFruitGirl26  From what I have heard, it will not effect his ability to make the team. When he is totally healthy he's expected to get the standard 9 game try out, and he will be judged on those 9 games, so he still has a real chance to stick this year. My money is on this season being his rookie year.

Let's hope.

At first, I was in the camp of "Oh, he is only 19, he can do one more season at Halifax, then maybe at 20 do one at AHL Syracuse...but after watching a guy like Nate MacKinnon blossoming under the bright lights of the NHL, and Drouin absolutely dominant in Juniors, I changed direction on that REAL quick, and figured, he is JUST as talented on just as dynamic a group in the Lightning as the Avs do in Denver...so he SHOULD be ready for the NHL.

Not much more he can do in Juniors.....this guy needs to be part of the thunder (the ol marketing slogan for the Lightning..."Be the Thunder!") with the big boys NOW.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

**Bump** and Update...

Drouin expected to play today...but NOT with the Bolts

From the AHL's official website:

http://theahl.com/drouin-to-begin-pro-career-in-syracuse-p194203

Seems Jonathan Drouin is cleared to play, but the Lightning want to make sure his conditioning is ready for the rigors of the NHL, seeing as how he missed much of training camp and exhibition.

Anticipation is that Drouin should NOT be in the AHL very long, but honestly, IMO, I think this may be a good thing.

Not only from a conditioning standpoint, but also, from the standpoint that in the AHL, he will play against MEN as opposed to the relative "kids" he dominated so in Juniors.

I am a full believer that if a young man is ready to play in the NHL (and some here believe in this as well... @jammer2 surely does ), then he should be playing there.

And Drouin WILL be playing there....but this move to the AHL is just smart.

I am sure all the Bolts are wanting to hear from Syracuse management is "The kid looks good out there, his stamina is there, no problem with the thumb, and is handling bigger bodies just fine".

They hear that, Jonathan Drouin is back up with the Bolts quicker than one can say 'Stanley Cup Playoffs'!

Anyways, I am just glad to hear he is being cleared to play...the AHL will be his 'training camp and exhibition' and will look forward to seeing him soon playing with the likes of Stamkos, Fillppula, Johnson, Palat, and Callahan.

Show those AHL'ers what you got, Jon, and then make them glad you are leaving for Tampa Bay right after !!  :thumbsu:

Drouin had NHL level skill a year ago. He isn't a 2nd or 3rd round player, he's 3rd overall. I have no doubt whatsoever he can play NOW in the NHL. But better safe than sorry on the conditioning...if he's up to snuff for the A then bring him up.

I know this is the consensus, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Drouin will take longer than people think to become an effective (i.e. scoring) NHL player. I say this is a person who drafted him as a 17 year old, watched him for two years in Halifax etc.

I think his attitude is off, for one thing. He has exhibited an entitlement mentality. At times, as a Moosehead, his body language was atrocious. Petulant when somebody didn't pass him the puck. Stuff like that. There were rumours during last year's camp about his entitlement mentality.

Anyway, not saying he won't become an NHL star, but he's got some work to do just on the mental/maturity side.

@Podein25

Thanks for the info. I obviously didn't see him as much as you. Playing at the next level should be a good wake up call for him.

Exactly.

And if there is any of the immaturity issues still about him, playing against journeyman former NHL'ers, career AHL'ers, and other hot shot players like himself looking to make the jump to the NHL should sober  him but quick.

Not to mention that the Syracuse Crunch, like many successful minor league teams, mirror the play style of the parent club, so he will get a VERY good idea and understanding of not only what it's like playing with hockey men, but what is expected of him once he does get to play with the Lightning regularly.

Also, the Crunch have guys like Mike Angelidis (current captain) and JP Cote, vets who have played in the NHL and no nonsense guys who are sure to iron out any 'baby-ness' out of Drouin if need be.

Vincent Lecavalier had some maturity issues when he first came up, but his exposure to solid NHL veterans and coaching (Tortorella for instance) who would not put up with nonsense helped mold him from a boy playing in the league to a man.

CBS Sports and SB Nation report Drouin would spend the maximum allowed two weeks in Syracuse and that will be his training camp and exhibition.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2014/10/16/6988067/jonathan-drouin-syracuse-crunch-ahl-conditioning-stint-tampa-bay-lightning

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24754665/lightnings-jonathan-drouin-sent-to-ahl-for-rehab-stint

During that time, he will participate obviously in all team practices and scrimmages, and play 5 AHL games while with Syracuse.

Incidentally, this time Drouin spends in the AHL coincides with more or less the time the Bolts will be away on their road trip which starts in Vancouver tomorrow night and ends in Minnesota on the 25th of this month.

Then the Bolts have a three game homestand featuring the Coyotes, Flyers, and Capitals.

Would not surprise me at all if Drouin is dressed and ready to go for that second game against Philadelphia...   ;)

Bolts would then need to make a roster move..although, right now, I am not sure who would be moved/sent down.

Brendan Morrow, long time Dallas Star vet, was brought on to kill penalties and play 4th line minutes, however, he has looked less than impressive thus far.

I suppose the Bolts could always send down a younger player, but they will be hard pressed to decided on one...they all seem to be playing well....or flat out make a trade with another team to clear a roster spot.

Either way, seems Drouin WILL be making his way to the NHL by the end of the month and his Juniors career is done.

Archived