Chris Pronger Hired to the Department of Players Safety

hf101

"I'll say it, Chris is never going to play again," Holmgren told The Hockey News. "I have no problems saying it."

How is that not retirement? Lol

Lots of us have been saying that for years. None of us are NHL doctors though.

@brelic

I'm not attacking the Flyers OR Pronger for it. The Bruins/Savard, and Canucks/Malholtra have done the same thing for the same reason. You can't blame a franchise for skirting the intended penalties if the league is going to allow it. It's within the rules, just ethically poor in my opinion.

Hopefully they've addressed the CBA enough it's not an issue again, and these things become of the past.

My only issue with Pronger taking the job isn't even worries about favoritism or a conflict of interest. It's that he was one of the dirtiest players in recent history and is going to be calling shots on player safety? The NHL is dropping the ball in a few ways on this one.

It's about as ethically poor as calling out the league for being dirty while employing the dirtiest players in the league...nobody is squeaky clean when it comes to trying to win in pro sports.

Pronger was dirty. But he's also intelligent. And don't ex-junkies make some of the best at rehabbing others suffering those afflictions?

Besides, the NHL dropped the ball long before this with Uncle Colon.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't look it up at the moment, but if this is true, it's pretty darn embarrassing.

In fact, they decided to overlook their own Collective Bargaining Agreement, specifically Article 26, which states that no player paid by a team may also work for the league.

In hiring for a position designed to uphold the rules, the NHL broke one of its own - and then skated away like nothing ever happened.

Can't look it up at the moment, but if this is true, it's pretty darn embarrassing.

In fact, they decided to overlook their own Collective Bargaining Agreement, specifically Article 26, which states that no player paid by a team may also work for the league.

In hiring for a position designed to uphold the rules, the NHL broke one of its own - and then skated away like nothing ever happened.

The League, unfortunately, is a joke. There are no "rules" that they follow. They don't even call the action on the ice the way it is written in the rulebook.

There was no need to bring in Pronger to the League Offices. None. Zero. Ziltch.

And even less need to attract all the negative attention the move has gotten.

It's absurd on every level.

• 3 weeks later...

Did not read through this whole post?

So here's a question for someone up on the CBA. How can the NHL hire Chris Pronger? Technically he's under contract with the Flyers and was signed under +35 clause in the CBA. In other words he's on LTIR allowing for cap relief.

Seems by allowing him sign a contract with the NHL is endorsing cap circumvention?

Forgetting of course we lost a season and a half to get the CBA they can just ignore it when they want?

So I'm NOT happy with it all!

The whole thing is a joke. Hey don't enforce the rules which is bad enough, but now they're the ones violating them!

@Old School Hockey

Benefitting? Please explain.

I  was under the assumption that Chris would be removed from the Flyers payroll once his NHL duties commenced. Although we always eventually eliminated his cap hit with the use of the LTIR, it did suck to wait until October to have his cap hit removed. Basically, the Flyers are not inconvienced during the summer months and can spend their money when they want to without waiting....that is the only real benefit....no?

@Old School Hockey  The strikes are a scam Gary uses to get a favorable slant towards the owners. The owners are in a position of strength (for the most part) and can thus use strikes as a weapon to get their way. The Players will never *win* a strike and the owners know it. With or without this current system, Gary will go back to the well when this CBA is up. I'm saying about a 90% chance of a strike next time around (but it should be shorter at least) He will demand crazy concessions and WHAM.....another strike. Gary also knows by now, hockey fans are like crack addicts, they will be back no matter how long they are out.

@Old School Hockey The strikes are a scam Gary uses to get a favorable slant towards the owners. The owners are in a position of strength (for the most part) and can thus use strikes as a weapon to get their way. The Players will never *win* a strike and the owners know it. With or without this current system, Gary will go back to the well when this CBA is up. I'm saying about a 90% chance of a strike next time around (but it should be shorter at least) He will demand crazy concessions and WHAM.....another strike. Gary also knows by now, hockey fans are like crack addicts, they will be back no matter how long they are out.

There was no strike.

The owners locked out the players.

I  was under the assumption that Chris would be removed from the Flyers payroll once his NHL duties commenced. Although we always eventually eliminated his cap hit with the use of the LTIR, it did suck to wait until October to have his cap hit removed. Basically, the Flyers are not inconvienced during the summer months and can spend their money when they want to without waiting....that is the only real benefit....no?

Prongers contract is in NO way benefitting the Flyers. His LTIR makes it workable, but his contract doesn't help us out.

Prongers contract is in NO way benefitting the Flyers. His LTIR makes it workable, but his contract doesn't help us out.

No way????

His contract isn't benefiting the Flyers. But due the NHL allowing the Flyers to circumvent the cap it's not hurting either.

Please don't take this wrong. But are you blind as to see/understand what's going on and how wrong it is?

Let me explain it. He signed a 35+ contract which is supposed to carry a cap hit 4.9m until the contract expires. With him on the LTIR his contract is being buried. Here's the kicker. But the NHL hiring him they are knowingly allowing/condoning cap circumvention.

Every hockey fan regardless of which team you support should be head ready to explode mad they allowed this. Just a reminder we lost 1.5 seasons to get this system in place that once again the owners have found a way to circumvent the system the wanted, no demanded.

@Old School Hockey

No way.

LTIR doesn't count against the cap in any situation. Why should it in this? It's a legitimate injury. It's not like Pronger is pretending to have concussion issues.

Once again YOU are missing the point! Can you not see the hypocrisy of the NHL hiring a guy that is under contract? They are basically saying bury that contract and we will support it.

@Old School Hockey

Read post #4 in this thread. 

Its a joke the NHL hire a guy under contract when it clearly states that's against the CBA. I personally don't care if they hire him...it really has no effect on me whatsoever. But it is stupid for a league to go against its own rules.

You brought up how this was "benefitting" the Flyers. I just disagreed. And it's not.

Archived