Carter Ashton Suspended 20 games for PED use

yave1964

Carter Ashton is a two way player (Nhl and AHL) who sometimes plays for the Leafs, in the epoch of a mediocre career. Today he was suspended for testing positive for a PED.

Okay, at least his story sounds plausible.

“I suffered an asthmatic spasm in late August while in a training session getting prepared for the 2014-15 NHL season. One of the other athletes I was training with gave me an inhaler in order to help open my airway, which provided me with immediate relief from my asthma attack. I kept this inhaler and used it a second time early in the training camp upon experiencing another asthma episode. Unfortunately, I incorrectly assumed that there were no problems associated with the use of this inhaler and I used it without checking to see whether its contents were permissible under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

I now recognize that I ingested Clenbuterol, a prohibited substance, through the inhaler. However, at no time was I seeking to gain an athletic advantage or to knowingly violate the terms of the program. I used the inhaler in response to exercise-induced asthma, a condition that my doctor with the Toronto Maple Leafs has since diagnosed and he has prescribed me with an inhaler.

As a professional hockey player, I recognize that I am responsible for what I put into my body, and I will not appeal my suspension. While I am extremely disappointed that I have let my teammates, our fans and the Maple Leafs organization down, I will work very hard during my suspension to stay in game shape so that I can help out the team when I am able to return.”

At the least he manned up, unlike athlets in other sports who whine and cry and appeal to the commissioner and to God and their Mom when they get suspended. Ashton told the story, and who knows, it might be just that, but he sounds sincere. At the very least it is possible that he is telling the truth.

Anyway you look at it, that was a 169,000 puff off of an inhaler.

Reminds me of what happened to Niklas Backstrom in the past winter Olympics. He was not allowed to play with his Swedish teammates because he tested positive for what is known as Zyrtec. NHL needs to figure this out. I have asthma and I know physical activity makes my asthma unbearable. It's a dangerous condition that can only be solved with steroids, mainly albuterol.

Then again, I don't know how much I buy this story haha

I follow a sport much more geared towards banning PED's because of the Nevada SA commission. Cagefighting. And most of the fighters use them, but are quite learned about cycling off at the right times(but some get busted for random testing).

That being said, we are talking about athletes who intentionally inject and ingest a lot of this stuff to help their regiments and cycle off using it to get it out of their system a month before fight time. Most Steroids are used because it speeds recovery time and healing, allowing you to push yourself harder, longer, and effectively cut weight while retaining muscle, etc

Clenbuterol is not exactly a choice PED for most athletes who know they may be tested. Has bad side effects compared to others, takes longer to cycle out of your system than some(Easier to get caught), and generally is not human tested. And it is routinely prescribed overseas for asthma.

On the other hand, it seems to be a preffered PED of cyclists in cold weather conditions and bodybuilders because it has a potent steroidal effect.

I'd have to look into how much you get in your system through an inhaler, how long it takes to cycle out(According to MMA sites, it reduces in your system by 50% every 36 hours, so it is usually undetectable after 2-3 weeks if you have been juicing and cycle off) and how much of a level in your system it takes to fail a drug test.

Seems like an innocent enough story. Hard to say what's truth and what's not with so little information, but he is fessing up to it and doing the time without much complaint. Hard to be upset about that.

It does suck a little for the Leafs as Ashton is a more serviceable 4th liner than Frattin at this point. I'd honestly rather they just kept Carrick up for 4th line duties, but that's me.

I will say that while the initial scenario is entirely plausible, why he kept the inhaler rather than getting evaluated by a medical professional (particularly one associated with the Leafs who would know what substances are banned) is a little bit fishy. But still, he owned up to his mistake and isn't appealing.

@yave1964

Guilty as charged and they should nail the Leafs doctor as well.

Apparently Clenbuterol is not approved for human use in either Canada or the U.S.—  So the doctor of the Maple Leafs prescribed it?  whoa

"This inhaler either came from Europe or was designed for horses. But it is one of the most popular banned weight-loss drugs, one that's popped up again and again in boxing, cycling, and baseball. It's huge among bodybuilders looking to get cut, and is on the blacklist of the IOC and every major sports league."

http://deadspin.com/carter-ashton-suspended-20-games-for-ped-use-1655634352

Carter Ashton is a two way player (Nhl and AHL) who sometimes plays for the Leafs, in the epoch of a mediocre career. Today he was suspended for testing positive for a PED.

Okay, at least his story sounds plausible.

“I suffered an asthmatic spasm in late August while in a training session getting prepared for the 2014-15 NHL season. One of the other athletes I was training with gave me an inhaler in order to help open my airway, which provided me with immediate relief from my asthma attack. I kept this inhaler and used it a second time early in the training camp upon experiencing another asthma episode. Unfortunately, I incorrectly assumed that there were no problems associated with the use of this inhaler and I used it without checking to see whether its contents were permissible under the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program.

I now recognize that I ingested Clenbuterol, a prohibited substance, through the inhaler. However, at no time was I seeking to gain an athletic advantage or to knowingly violate the terms of the program. I used the inhaler in response to exercise-induced asthma, a condition that my doctor with the Toronto Maple Leafs has since diagnosed and he has prescribed me with an inhaler.

As a professional hockey player, I recognize that I am responsible for what I put into my body, and I will not appeal my suspension. While I am extremely disappointed that I have let my teammates, our fans and the Maple Leafs organization down, I will work very hard during my suspension to stay in game shape so that I can help out the team when I am able to return.”

At the least he manned up, unlike athlets in other sports who whine and cry and appeal to the commissioner and to God and their Mom when they get suspended. Ashton told the story, and who knows, it might be just that, but he sounds sincere. At the very least it is possible that he is telling the truth.

Anyway you look at it, that was a 169,000 puff off of an inhaler.

Sounds like an honest mistake.....dumb but i guess it happens however being a pro hockey player who is subject to drug test it's on him....which he takes responsibility for.

Also though it's a great excuse to use, many weight lifters who compete use this to speed up metabolism in the cutting phase (which i'm sure is what he was doing really) before competition so who knows if he is legit in his excuse so oh well 20 OOOOooooch.....live and learn. 

@yave1964

Apparently Clenbuterol is not approved for human use in either Canada or the U.S.—  So the doctor of the Maple Leafs prescribed it?  whoa

"This inhaler either came from Europe or was designed for horses. But it is one of the most popular banned weight-loss drugs, one that's popped up again and again in boxing, cycling, and baseball. It's huge among bodybuilders looking to get cut, and is on the blacklist of the IOC and every major sports league."

I should have read down further before posting but yes it is used by many as a cutting agent boxers use it alot for making weight....it works.....and i feel this is what he was using it for so he got caught.

@yave1964

According to the story, the Leafs doctor prescribed him an appropriate inhaler after he ditched the one he got from his friend. Presumably, either his friend was European or using Clenbuterol himself.

I mean, seems like a mistake, but it could have been intentional. Hard to say. Either way, I doubt it matters, since he will do the suspension time.

If Ashton was intentionally using PEDs, they weren't working for him.  :P

According to the story, the Leafs doctor prescribed him an appropriate inhaler after he ditched the one he got from his friend. Presumably, either his friend was European or using Clenbuterol himself.

I mean, seems like a mistake, but it could have been intentional. Hard to say. Either way, I doubt it matters, since he will do the suspension time.

If Ashton was intentionally using PEDs, they weren't working for him.  :P

Well, most PED use does not give as much help as people think. But again, every PED is different

Most people take certain ones because they help you cut weight while retaining muscle mass and your body heals faster(Much faster), allowing you to push yourself longer and harder.

I.E Joe Blow in UFC injures his tendon in training, Steroids can help speed recovery and promote tissue growth so he does not miss as much training time and have to call off the fight.

In hockey, I suspect if you knew you would be riding the pine for a month and could cut it to 2 weeks, you may find the idea appealing as a struggling roster player trying to secure a spot.

If Ashton was intentionally using PEDs, they weren't working for him

The stuff he was using is meant to help you just drop weight...it isn't meant to help your performance, just helps expand your lung and speed up your metabolism.

So if he was a fat body or coming in looking out of shape and need to drop a few pounds quickly then that would be why he used it. Not saying he did or didn't.

@OccamsRazor@J0e Th0rnton

That's fair, guys, I was just making a joke.  :P

(A bad one, apparently)

Either way, he goofed up and will serve the time. Honestly, though, I have to wonder if this doesn't hurt his budding career as a journeyman. Wouldn't be surprised to see him with another team next season. He can be a useful 4th liner, but has had trouble sticking.

The stuff he was using is meant to help you just drop weight...it isn't meant to help your performance, just helps expand your lung and speed up your metabolism.

So if he was a fat body or coming in looking out of shape and need to drop a few pounds quickly then that would be why he used it. Not saying he did or didn't.

It increases development of skeletal muscle while helping burn fat. It basically functions as an Anabolic steroid. Expanding lung capacity and increased metabolism allows you to push yourself longer and harder in workouts like most Roids.

Unlike Steroids, it does not accelerate healing of tears and muscle pulls/sprains, but otherwise it has similar effects.

Archived