UPDATE: My God!, LA Kings Short $160 to Sign D-Man

idahophilly

Since Voynov got arrested and suspended by the NHL, LA has been looking for another D-man. One of the cheapest they could find that they wanted puts them over the cap by a measly $160 dollars. Much like the Flyers and Pronger (for different reasons), LA should get cap relief. The Voynov thing had nothing to do with the Kings and LA had zero control over it... At least Pronger's continued cap hit is hockey related...My 2 cents... 

Since Varlamov got arrested and suspended by the NHL, LA has been looking for another D-man. One of the cheapest they could find that they wanted puts them over the cap by a measly $160 dollars. Much like the Flyers and Pronger (for different reasons), LA should get cap relief. The Varlamov thing had nothing to do with the Kings and LA had zero control over it... At least Pronger's continued cap hit is hockey related...My 2 cents... 

i don't really understand the problem, they (the kings) can just suspend varlamov, he'd come off the books entirely.  until they had to re-activate him, anyway.

I am pretty sure you are referring to Voynov not Varlamov but I get the meaning. You would think it would be the equivalent of an LTIR meaning that as long as he is unable to perform his salary should not count against the cap.

Just goes to show, as a GM, you just never know what can come up...you must fight for every freaking dollar you can save. Some people don't even quibble over a 100,000, which....is piddly squat in the overall picture. But damn, here you have 160 bucks stopping the Kings from icing a complete team. Also, the increased ice time may be putting the other regulars at risk. They only iced 5 healthy d-men in their last game, and that is far to much ice time, even for battle tested vets like the Kings have.

Hmmm! just a thought, maybe one of those overworked L.A. D-men might consider renegotiating there salary to reduce there workload and the LA salary cap.

DUH, what was I thinking? A professional athlete actually doing something good for the team rather then themselves.

I find the Voynov situation to be a pretty big overreaction and potential overreach by the league.

He's not charged with anything and may never be charged with anything.

We do have a founding principle of this country: innocent until proven guilty.

That said, filing charges could certainly be a better bar for the league to clear than someone said something may have happened at some time.

If he's guilty, ban him from the league. And be freaking consistent about it.

Hmmm! just a thought, maybe one of those overworked L.A. D-men might consider renegotiating there salary to reduce there workload and the LA salary cap.

DUH, what was I thinking? A professional athlete actually doing something good for the team rather then themselves.

"Renegotiating salary" is illegal under the CBA.

They are contractually prevented from doing it.

That was part of the cap the owners insisted upon imposing through two lockouts.

I m okay with it. Forcing teamsto count a douche like this against their cap mght make them think next time. And it might make his teammates hold him more responsible too.

"Hold him more responsible" for what? He hasn't been charged with anything.

The team "thinks twice" about doing what? Signing a talented defense prospect?

• 2 weeks later...

Per the L.A District Attorney Jackie Lacey, Voynov’s wife, during an argument with her husband, suffered “serious” injuries to her eyebrow, cheek and neck. If convicted, Voynov could face up to nine years in prison; his arraignment is set for Dec. 1.

If convicted, Voynov could also face immigration consequences that could lead to his deportation.

The NHL has released a statement, through deputy commissioner Bill Daly:

“We are aware of the actions taken today in California, which we will review and evaluate before making any decisions. Until further notice, the current terms of Mr. Voynov’s suspension remain in place.”

The Kings have also released a statement:

“We maintain our support of the NHL’s indefinite suspension of Slava Voynov. As an organization we will continue to closely monitor the developments of the legal proceedings and work in partnership with the NHL to determine the proper course of action in the future.”

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/20/breaking-voynov-charged-with-felony-count-of-corporal-injury/related/

one more interesting tidbit

About the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office

Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey leads the largest local prosecutorial office in the nation. Her staff of 
nearly 1,000 attorneys, 300 investigators and 800 support staff members is dedicated to seeking justice for victims of 
crime and enhancing public safety. Last year, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office prosecuted more than 
73,000 felony defendants and 113,000 misdemeanor defendants.

Through her own attorney, Voynov’s wife previously said she didn’t want charges filed against the defenceman, but California authorities aren’t required to consider such wishes when deciding to file charges.

Archived