Can Avs still make playoffs?

Guest Avalanche Yeti

Guest Avalanche Yeti

Hey guys im  an avs fan and I just watched the Flames beat the Avs in OT. Beautiful goal by Tanguay. Anyways I was wondering if you guys think the avs can still make the playoffs. give me your opinion

@

Welcome to the forum!

It is going to be tough, on top of the usual suspects, (Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, Los Angeles) you have the Wild, Canucks, Flames and Predators. Oh and the Jets, kinda.

Not even counting the Jets, that leaves nine teams, at least one of who wont make it. For the Avalanche to make it in, they would have to beat out two of the above.

The Flames and Predators have had surprisingly good starts, but might fade. The Wild are not quite in sync, the other six are pretty much mortal locks.

So yeah, the Avalanche are still in it, but it is going to be hard.

Guest Avalanche Yeti

I feel like the avalanche would be towards the top if they were in the eastern conference. the avalanche always seem to play very well against the Kings Blackhawks and all those teams.

@

Welcome to the Forums.

I think the Aves have a chance at making the playoffs, but I also think that chance is slim this season.  I think they can finish 5th behind Minnesota but the Jets are off to a strong start.  The Aves are not a better team than the Blues, Hawks, and Wild, and Nashville is strong this season due to Rinne back healthy in net with a solid defensive core.

I don't think the Aves will beat out the top 4 teams in the Pacific division either.  Last year's success was built on steady goaltending and scoring on multiple lines.-- this year they haven't figured out how to replace the void created when Stastny left.

As far as the East goes the Aves record against the East is 8 and 6 this season.  Thus far I don't think that record would be much more than mediocre, or much better than the Devils or Panthers.  Meaning no guarantees of making the playoffs this season.

I feel like the avalanche would be towards the top if they were in the eastern conference. the avalanche always seem to play very well against the Kings Blackhawks and all those teams.

Welcome, but gotta disagree. That defense is a mess. East, West....Siberia, they would still be exposed on the defensive side of the ledger. Varly has not been close to last year stats wise, but the team is hanging him out to dry on most nights. Another putrid loss last night, this times allowing 5 goals against to the offensively challenged Jets. This after blowing a lead in Calgary and losing in OT. What a big gigantic mess. McKinnon will be a star eventually, but he is suffering through a pretty bad sophomore jinx. Landesgog, O'Riley, Duchene.....all missing in action on most nights. Their GM will be inundated with crazy trade offers, the GM's of the league circling like sharks before the Fonzie leap.

I agree with @yave1964 that the Avs DO have a chance at the playoffs at this point in time (only because it's still extremely early in the season), but that it WILL be difficult.

Honestly, Colorado has the talent to compete, but their defense right now is leaving MUCH to be desired, and the team overall, simply isn't competing like one that has all their pieces pulling in the same direction.

Nashville is for real.

They may have surprised some, but when you get a healthy Rinne and the rest of the team playing solid D, along with some new found offensive muscle, no doubt due to some of Peter Laviolette's more open systems, really, there SHOULDN'T be much of a surprise.

Throw in Chicago and St. Louis which were pre-season picks to make the post season (and they are playing like it for the most part), and the Wild who despite an awful PP, are still 'hanging around', and the Jets who ARE suprising many, and you have a situation where the Avs really have their work cut out for them...though by no means out of it if they can get Varlamov playing like he normally does and the defense somewhat good.

Top to bottom team, I believe the Central Division to still be the toughest in the league and right now, the only anchors there are the Avs and Stars...both of which are having defensive issues.

Fix that...even just a bit, and the Avs could move on up to playoff contender status.

Won't be easy, but still possible.

Now, should the Avs find themselves still in this spot come late Jan or early Feb, then stick the fork in them and label them "done".

But right now, they still got a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys im  an avs fan and I just watched the Flames beat the Avs in OT. Beautiful goal by Tanguay. Anyways I was wondering if you guys think the avs can still make the playoffs. give me your opinion

Most certainly have a chance, they could hit the #8 seed worse case if they continue to stay healthy and play the game they know they can play. You can see flashes every game of what they can do, they just need to see it themselves.

They are not getting destroyed in games, they are losing one goal tight games. Colorado is 6-14 in one-goal games that could EASILY have gone their way. They defense without Nick Holden has been great in the last 6, going 4-0-2 and to my surprise Brad Stuart has remembered how to play hockey. Teams will begin to slip, like Winnipeg, Minnesota (who I personally expected to be playing MUCH better) in time Nashville could (unless they want to be last seasons Avs)... I do not expect Chicago or St. Louis (since Elliott is on his way back for STL) to fall off much. 

Teams like Los Angeles, Vancouver, Calgary, and Winnipeg will be the keys to watch if the Avs make a run. Until we have reached game 60 (ish) do not count the Avs out unless they are still bottom 4 in the West. I am confident if the Avs can win the next two games against the Chicago Blackhawks and St. Louis Blues they will be a playoff team. All they need is a little confidence and those two games (including a third the 5-0 win over St. Louis) could change their entire season. 

(Personal opinion) Go Avs :D

Right now, they are only what....5 or 6 pts out of a wildcard, anything and everything could happen, and probably will. The key is beating the teams grouped in close to them for the 2 wildcard spots, Calgary, Winnipeg etc....

Right now, they are only what....5 or 6 pts out of a wildcard, anything and everything could happen, and probably will. The key is beating the teams grouped in close to them for the 2 wildcard spots, Calgary, Winnipeg etc....

Certainly, also helps if we take 6 of 6 in these three divisional games (STL, CHI, STL) that would force some movement. Next in line is to put some mumps in the paths of teams such as the Flames, Jets, Kings, Canucks and hope the start dropping. Their dropping with our climbing will = playoff position. But in all seriousness, mumps aside, thats exactly the formula, HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Avs need to continue to play ONE game at a time, ONE period at a time... no need to start looking ahead. 

Archived