Bernier and Reimer: A Nice problem to have.

WordsOfWisdom

While everyone has annointed Bernier as the #1 goalie, many forget that Reimer had better career numbers prior to Bernier's arrival in Toronto, and significantly more playing time. Reimer, the victim of the epic game #7 playoff collapse against Boston two years ago, is arguably the most polarizing figure in Toronto.

While I like both goalies, I still think Reimer is a #1 goalie in waiting. A goalie in exactly the same position that Bernier was in back in LA. Reimer also has the advantage of being 6'2" in a league where height matters for goaltenders.

The good news for Leafs fans is that no matter who is in goal, opposing teams don't have a weak link to exploit. The Leafs can lean on either goalie knowing that they can steal games.

Also, if Reimer continues to play well in a backup role, he will greatly increase his trade value at the deadline. The Leafs may be able to swap him for a solid defenceman to help cut down the goals against.

Thoughts?  :)

While everyone has annointed Bernier as the #1 goalie, many forget that Reimer had better career numbers prior to Bernier's arrival in Toronto, and significantly more playing time. Reimer, the victim of the epic game #7 playoff collapse against Boston two years ago, is arguably the most polarizing figure in Toronto.

While I like both goalies, I still think Reimer is a #1 goalie in waiting. A goalie in exactly the same position that Bernier was in back in LA. Reimer also has the advantage of being 6'2" in a league where height matters for goaltenders.

The good news for Leafs fans is that no matter who is in goal, opposing teams don't have a weak link to exploit. The Leafs can lean on either goalie knowing that they can steal games.

Also, if Reimer continues to play well in a backup role, he will greatly increase his trade value at the deadline. The Leafs may be able to swap him for a solid defenceman to help cut down the goals against.

Thoughts?  :)

Or if they just want to dump his Salary if his value does not go up, the Sharks will take him.

I am still praying they trade Niemi at the deadline. No defensemen to give tho. Unless you want Irwin. I'd give him to you. For free. In fact, i'd throw in a 6th round pick.

I feel like JR is back and fourth in Toronto, a trade would help him greatly. With JB playing better, I see no need for JR In Toronto any more. Plus they extended his contract which makes him more able to trade. I don't see a high end defensemen for him though, maybe a prospect at D that can become good. Most will want to offer draft picks first, like the Avs did for Varly. Just my personal Op, but I don't see a roster player unless it's an off season deal or a desperate team like Carolina.

@WordsOfWisdom   I think the Leafs would like to move Riemer, but his injury prone history prevent them from getting full value. I'd say the plan is to take the heat off of Bernier by ditching Riemer....even though the latters stats are basically he same as Bernier's. The big problem is Riems has already had 2 concussions along with many other assorted injuries. No GM in his right mind would count on him to be "the guy". I do think there is a lot of talent there, he just needs to be healthy for a few years to erase the injury doubts....unfortunately, those 2 years will not come with the Leafs. So, essentially Riems will be forced to supplant a current starter when he arrives at his inevitable new home.

I feel like JR is back and fourth in Toronto, a trade would help him greatly. With JB playing better, I see no need for JR In Toronto any more. Plus they extended his contract which makes him more able to trade. I don't see a high end defensemen for him though, maybe a prospect at D that can become good. Most will want to offer draft picks first, like the Avs did for Varly. Just my personal Op, but I don't see a roster player unless it's an off season deal or a desperate team like Carolina.

You could be right. Of course, the Leafs get shelled 7-4 by the Flyers just after I make this thread. LOL.  :blink[1]:  Reimer might play against Chicago next game, and has an outside chance of stealing the #1 job back from Bernier if he impresses again.

@WordsOfWisdom   I think the Leafs would like to move Riemer, but his injury prone history prevent them from getting full value. I'd say the plan is to take the heat off of Bernier by ditching Riemer....even though the latters stats are basically he same as Bernier's. The big problem is Riems has already had 2 concussions along with many other assorted injuries. No GM in his right mind would count on him to be "the guy". I do think there is a lot of talent there, he just needs to be healthy for a few years to erase the injury doubts....unfortunately, those 2 years will not come with the Leafs. So, essentially Riems will be forced to supplant a current starter when he arrives at his inevitable new home.

It certainly looks that way. Although wouldn't it be ironic if he played his way back to the #1 job and the Leafs traded away Bernier?

In any event, I think Reimer will be dealt by the trade deadline. I just wonder what he can fetch in return. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me like bernier is Carlyles guy, so as long as he's there Bernier is your #1. For whatever reason goalies just don't bring in a huge return. What'd you guys pay for Bernier? Expect a lot less for Reimer.

I think Bernier was a free agent signing. I'm not sure what he makes. More than LA was going to pay him to be a backup anyway. :)

Reimer still has a habit of allowing soft goals from time to time. He can make 40 saves in a night, and then allow a bad goal that costs the Leafs the game. So on one hand, fans are happy that he stopped 40 of 41 shots, but then not happy with the one that he allowed. He's playing well, but not well enough to ever knock Bernier out of the #1 spot.

The Leafs seem to have two goalies that are both equally talented (give or take the rust that Reimer has to shake off when making spot starts). They play Bernier most of the time because they spent a lot of money to acquire him, but I don't think one goalie truly outperforms the other. I think the Leafs would have liked Bernier to be the undisputed #1 goalie, and be a Vezina trophy contender, but he's not there yet. Bernier still needs to reach another level before he's in that conversation.

I think Bernier was a free agent signing. I'm not sure what he makes. More than LA was going to pay him to be a backup anyway. :)

Reimer still has a habit of allowing soft goals from time to time. He can make 40 saves in a night, and then allow a bad goal that costs the Leafs the game. So on one hand, fans are happy that he stopped 40 of 41 shots, but then not happy with the one that he allowed. He's playing well, but not well enough to ever knock Bernier out of the #1 spot.

The Leafs seem to have two goalies that are both equally talented (give or take the rust that Reimer has to shake off when making spot starts). They play Bernier most of the time because they spent a lot of money to acquire him, but I don't think one goalie truly outperforms the other. I think the Leafs would have liked Bernier to be the undisputed #1 goalie, and be a Vezina trophy contender, but he's not there yet. Bernier still needs to reach another level before he's in that conversation.

No they acquired Bernier in a trade. Matt Frattin and a 4th? Something like that. Too lazy to look it up...

Bernier was Frattin, Scrivens, and a 2nd. At the time, that was actually a good return for LA if we're honest, since Frattin looked like a decent young-ish top 9 forward, and Scrivens was a solid backup.

I doubt Reimer would fetch as much with the current market were Toronto to trade him. Best case, I'm guessing either a "what Frattin was" type and decent backup, or the 2nd.

I'm not sure they'd move him unless they are out at the deadline and a playoff team is looking for a good backup/1B option. Most likely Reimer gets moved at the draft, as Bernier will need a sizable raise this offseason.

Bernier was Frattin, Scrivens, and a 2nd. At the time, that was actually a good return for LA if we're honest, since Frattin looked like a decent young-ish top 9 forward, and Scrivens was a solid backup.

I doubt Reimer would fetch as much with the current market were Toronto to trade him. Best case, I'm guessing either a "what Frattin was" type and decent backup, or the 2nd.

I'm not sure they'd move him unless they are out at the deadline and a playoff team is looking for a good backup/1B option. Most likely Reimer gets moved at the draft, as Bernier will need a sizable raise this offseason.

Right, I forgot all about Scrivens. Good hockey trade I thought at the time. Bernier has a pedigree and was the best goalie not starting in the NHL at the time. No way Reimer fetches anywhere near that.

Bernier has a pedigree and was the best goalie not starting in the NHL at the time.

Just out of curiosity, who do you think has the best goalie not in the NHL right now?

Probably overlooking some good young tenders, but my stab at best young goalies not in the NHL....

1)John Gibson - Ducks

2)Malcom Subban - Boston

3)Andrey Vasilievsky - Tampa Bay

4 Zack Fucale - Montreal

5)Eric Comrie - Winnipeg

I actually think the Tampa goalie could become the best eventually, wicked fast that kid!

Just out of curiosity, who do you think has the best goalie not in the NHL right now?

Probably overlooking some good young tenders, but my stab at best young goalies not in the NHL....

1)John Gibson - Ducks

2)Malcom Subban - Boston

3)Andrey Vasilievsky - Tampa Bay

4 Zack Fucale - Montreal

5)Eric Comrie - Winnipeg

I actually think the Tampa goalie could become the best eventually, wicked fast that kid!

I'd say Gibson.

My vote is for Gibson as well, but Vasilevskiy is my #2. And I think it's close.

Anyway, as for the original topic, I really like Reimer. That said, he's playing like a good backup at this point. Bernier has been the superior goalie, and Reimer isn't exactly cheap for a backup. The cap crunch is likely to hit the Leafs this offseason (barring any major shakeups, and major shakeups are probably going to be warranted). Reimer may find himself in a new home, and I doubt the return will be anything significant. Possibly a decent pick and/or prospect. 

Hopefully, Reimer gets a chance to shine somewhere.

I like Reimer too and he has game where he is great, but his rebound control isn't great and he gets rattled...once 1-2 goals go in he just lets the flood gates open and the team never seems confident in front of him. As a back up id love to keep him around but like you said hes fairly expensive for a back up and he wants/believes hes a number 1 goalie. I hope we trade him while he still has some people thinking hes capable of being a legit number 1 and we can get a decent return for him.

I like Reimer too and he has game where he is great, but his rebound control isn't great and he gets rattled...once 1-2 goals go in he just lets the flood gates open and the team never seems confident in front of him. As a back up id love to keep him around but like you said hes fairly expensive for a back up and he wants/believes hes a number 1 goalie. I hope we trade him while he still has some people thinking hes capable of being a legit number 1 and we can get a decent return for him.

I watched the game against Winnipeg recently and the announcers were bang on: The team doesn't play well in front of Reimer. For whatever reason, Reimer has to face 40+ shots per start. The team just hangs him out to dry.

I watched the game against Winnipeg recently and the announcers were bang on: The team doesn't play well in front of Reimer. For whatever reason, Reimer has to face 40+ shots per start. The team just hangs him out to dry.

Haven't the Leafs been doing that to whoever is in net for two decades now?

Archived