Penguins General Discussion

And1

Would it be ok to start this thread to talk about previous games/games coming up, player performances and other smaller topics not warranting an entire thread?

Wanted to talk a bit about Pouliot and his 'big night' last night and what ya'll thought of his first game.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only watch pittsburgh for malkin and hope he wins the art ross, you know, someone other then crosby.

Geno's close, pretty sure he's still in the top 5. Would like to see him get it too, although Geno has already won it twice along with Crosby so either of them snagging it would be fine by me  :D

Geno's close, pretty sure he's still in the top 5. Would like to see him get it too, although Geno has already won it twice along with Crosby so either of them snagging it would be fine by me  :D

true, its just that i have always liked Geno better then crosby. Now to think of it, i also want Voracek to win it and Jagr as well.....one can still dream. And its good to see another member around at this time.  :)

Would it be ok to start this thread to talk about previous games/games coming up, player performances and other smaller topics not warranting an entire thread?

Wanted to talk a bit about Pouliot and his 'big night' last night and what ya'll thought of his first game.

Listened to the game in the car driving, but it "sounded" like his game was what we expected of him. Being that he was leading the Baby Pens in scoring is another telling sign that he has the skill set necessary for the next step. Having Mario go down to the locker room to congratulate him on his first goal was a neat thing too. 

The Pens for a few years now have had great depth coming up on defense, it may be that it is time, with the new management, to bring up some of these guys permanently, and move some of the high priced defense(hello Paul Martin) for some further scoring depth.  Look how good Despres is looking this year, and providing a physical presence, while the last two years he had been in DFB's dog house. 

The "organizational depth" this team has shown over the last few seasons is scary.  We got a look at our future "D" in these last few games with the likes of Dumoulin, Harrington, and Pouliot playing. Add those guys to a group that includes Letang, Maatta, Depres and Bortuzzo and you have the makings of a very good D for the forseeable future...and one who's total cap hit (at least for a few years) should allow the Pens to upgrage the forward positions (Goc, Downie, Adams and Comeau are all UFA after this season).

I don't think Martin and Erhoff are back next year. I think that has been the plan all along.  Even with Letang and Scuderi combining for an $11,000,000 cap hit the six "kids" will take up less that $5,000,000 total next year (and $5,000,000 + RFA qualifying offers for at least 2 seasons after).  That $16,000,000 for your D. 

Cap hell sure does suck. ;)

I love Pouliot's game, but I think they might be better off trading him for a scoring winger. Cap issues being what they are I'm not sure they can. I think our defensive depth is outstanding. I think our forwards are packing in top 6 talent. Something has to give. Martin has been great this season and last. But it's time for him to go after this season. Then maybe you spend his money on a forward. I dunno if you stay as is and fix that next year through free agency or look to make a trade...

I love Pouliot's game, but I think they might be better off trading him for a scoring winger. Cap issues being what they are I'm not sure they can. I think our defensive depth is outstanding. I think our forwards are packing in top 6 talent. Something has to give. Martin has been great this season and last. But it's time for him to go after this season. Then maybe you spend his money on a forward. I dunno if you stay as is and fix that next year through free agency or look to make a trade...

I have to agree about the Pens needing more forward depth but would Pouliot be the right guy to move? It would be nice to keep him and move Scuds and Martin to dump over 8 mil in cap. I think if we were to make a move this season it needs to be acquiring a winger that could play with either Geno or Sid. I was skeptical about Kunitz for the longest time but nobody goes to the net like he does and he's more than proven a spot on the top line. I think Beau is better suited on the 3rd line although I'm sure many of you may disagree with me.

Kunitz-Sid-???

Comeau-Geno-Hornqvist

Spaling-Sutter-Beau

Klinkhammer/Downie-Goc-Dupuis

This would be ideal just need to find that top winger. 

Maata-Letang

Despres-Ehrhoff

Pouliot/Harrington-Bortuzzo/Harrington

Then: Pouliot/Bortuzzo

I really like Pouliot and Bort but I would prefer keeping Maata/Despres in the top 4 and maybe not Ehrhoff depending on who we decide to sell from the young the guys. 

I know i'm all over the place here but to recap move Scuds/Martin for sure after this offseason and spend it on a top forward as we are set for defenseman thanks to our great depth. 

Looking forward to tonight's game. No Sutter or Downie tonight who may have the mumps so it'll be cool to see how Farnham and Rust do with more ice time. Pens also going with 7 d tonight adding Chorney who will be playing some forward. 

Looking forward to tonight's game. No Sutter or Downie tonight who may have the mumps so it'll be cool to see how Farnham and Rust do with more ice time. Pens also going with 7 d tonight adding Chorney who will be playing some forward.

Lovin what I'm seeing from Farnham.great speed,decent hands and grit. Would rather see him in the lineup rather than Adams or sill.

Lovin what I'm seeing from Farnham.great speed,decent hands and grit. Would rather see him in the lineup rather than Adams or sill.

Couldn't agree more, you can tell when he's on the ice every shift. Farnham and Sill make a good pair.

I don't even think they have to move a Pouliot unless they don't like what the F/A market has to offer. If I am a GM I'd have to be blow away to trade him.

Agree. He's Zac Rinaldo without the "check-me-out-I'm-a-tough-guy" look after every hit.

The replay looks like the puck bounces on edge into then over his pad. He's been the best goaltender in hockey this season, so I can forgive that one.

On Pouliot... We say all these nice things and tonight he stinks up the place!

The replay looks like the puck bounces on edge into then over his pad. He's been the best goaltender in hockey this season, so I can forgive that one.

On Pouliot... We say all these nice things and tonight he stinks up the place!

that is what you get with a rookie. still the future looks bright. These aint the panthers of old anymore. they have been in almost every game and beat some fine teams.

This is textbook "take the point" game. They only dressed 17 skaters half of which started the season in WBS.  The back-up goalie didn't arrive in time to participate in warm ups.

Gut check game and they answered the bell.

This is textbook "take the point" game. They only dressed 17 skaters half of which started the season in WBS.  The back-up goalie didn't arrive in time to participate in warm ups.

Gut check game and they answered the bell.

Yeah, and they may be without Comeau tonight too. Getting a point in these games is great, health would be better.  I'm writing a late letter to Santa now.

Dominik Uher called up for the Tampa game tonight.  Looks like he'll replace Comeau, and we'll still only have 11 forwards.

Update, Post Gazette reporting that Blake Comeau will miss "several weeks".  Sigh

Several weeks on that hit into the boards where he put his hands up to protect himself..that didn't look THAT bad. 

Archived