Top Ten Best Players Of The 90s

JagerMeister

Ahh, the 90's.

My starting point for being an NHL fan.

That said, I was still quite young during that time, so not sure if my own list would be complete and/or all encompassing, but I will list (in no particular order), players I certainly considered some of the best looking back.

My list will be different from yours as well @JagerMeister , simply because I think there were way too many outstanding players in the 90's to simply  narrow it down to just 10 for the whole decade.

However, I will acknowledge at the end of my post, the ones YOU listed that I agree with, 1000% percent!

Here goes my list.

1--Wayne Gretzky.

Sorry, but no list of 'best players' would be complete without this guy as long as he was still an active competitor. And he certainly was during the 90's. He may  have been far removed from his glory 80's Edmonton dynasty days, and many people didn't like him on the ice for several reasons, but even his biggest detractors STILL had to acknowledge he was amongst the elite even in the 90's.

2--Mario Lemieux.

See Wayne Gretzky. Just no two ways about it. He belongs on this list. Yea, I know he was mentioned on the other list and mine was going to be a different set of players, but that is how good he was. He will be on this list as well right away!

3--Theo Fleury.

Small man who played very big and succeeded during a time when clutching and grabbing were the norm (and before Claude Giroux made it infamous... :ph34r: ), yet here he was...being able to fight through all that and still produce pretty regularly to the tune of a point per game or damned close to it and on a team that was in steady decline since it's late 80's / early 90's 'best days'.

4--John Vanbiesbrouck.

Very underrated goalie who helped prop up an expansion, grinding, cast-off filled Florida Panthers team throughout the 90's. In fact, the Panthers probably had NO BUSINESS being in any playoff races, much less making a SC Finals appearance, if it weren't for this guy. May not have had the best numbers of some of the elite goalies in the 90's, but I have to wonder if some of those so-called elite guys could have done what he had done in Florida at the time when the team sported about two 3rd lines and two 4th lines....

5--Curtis "Cujo" Joseph.

Here is a goalie who did very well with the Blues in the 90's, though he always seemed to falter a bit during the post season, and did well again when he moved to the Oilers and helped make that team look like it would revive the great Oiler dynasties of the previous decade. Unfortunately, most will remember him for being constantly under fire in the media microscope that is Toronto..but that would be unfair.  God himself could have been the goaltender for the Leafs during the 90's (or even today) and it would not have made a difference to the fans n media: Leafs didn't win the Cup, therefore, the goalie was bad, bad, bad.....  "Cujo" however, and IMO, still remains as one of the decades better goalies, and probably deserved a better fate during the decade.

6--Scott Stevens.

Another guy no 90's list would be complete without. The majority of this guy's value didn't lay in the numbers he put up, but rather in the number of bodies he laid out. Big, fast, strong, intimidating, leader from the blue line, and a guy that EVERY team that had a super star on it (Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, etc) HAD to account for...or else. The Devils of the 90's may have had a very good defensive system with plenty of workmanlike players to play that system to a "T", but I have to wonder if those Devils teams would have been as successful WITHOUT the freight train on track #4 leading the way for them...

7--Paul Kariya.

Guy who made an immediate impact in the NHL, cracked 100 points a few times during the 90's, and again, did all this on a team, the then Mighty Ducks, who really, were far from 'mighty'....yet could always be counted on to be competitive due to this guy and his partner Teemu Selanne. And again, a not-so-big man, succeeding during the days when big strong guys were clutching, grabbing, and generally not allowing smaller skilled players to fully do their thing...yet he too still managed to produce at a high rate.  And also keep in mind, that he made his NHL debut smack in the middle of the 90's, so all he was doing at the time, he was doing at a VERY young age....a relative kid still....among men in the league!

8--Rob Blake.

Big man, point producer, leader, enforcer, minutes eater, big shot from the point, and excellent skater for a man his size. Is there anything this guy COULDN'T do?

He was also very coveted by just about every team in the league during the decade and since obviously, only one team could have him (during the 90's it was the Kings), every other team searched frantically through the draft trying to find their own version of Rob Blake. He sorta became, at least IMO, the prototypical do-everything defenseman that would probably thrive in any era.

9--Chris Chelios.

Another guy, much like Scott Stevens, whose value was much more than in just pure numbers. He was a strong leader and personality, played his position quite well, and was basically the heart n soul of the Hawks during the 90's. He was also a very tough player without necessarily being a goon (though he could sometimes play that part too!), and also like Stevens, you always had to account for when he was on the ice (which was often) THEN on top of all that, had to worry about him using his actual hockey skills to set up his very talented forward teammates or score a goal himself.

Guy was always in outstanding physical shape as well, so you couldn't count on wearing him out during a game, as he always seemed quite fresh with 2 min to go in OT as he was when the puck dropped.

10--Niklas Lidstrom.

As loaded as the Wings teams of the 90's were, I have to wonder if Detroit wins as many Cups (if any at all) without the steady, producing leadership of this guy during the 90's. This guy was Ryan Suter in the 90's before Suter popularized playing damned near the entire game, doing it well, and doing it all unassumingly.

Lidstrom wasn't a big, loud, body crunching defenseman like some of his contemporaries....but what he was, was very good at what he did.

Knew all the ins and outs of his position, made ANY defense partner he had look better than what he probably was, knew how to lead NHL professionals of various backgrounds and personalities.

Detroit had lots of good players come and go through their ranks during the 90's, but only very few could be considered, in and of themselves 'essential' and a staple of the team....Steve Yzerman certainly fit that description for the forwards, Niklaus Lidstrom did that from the blue line.

And as for your list, Jager, I very much agree with guys like Mark Messier, Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic, and Eric Lindros on the forward lines, and Roy, Brodeur and Hasek in net.

And I know even with two almost completely different lists already prestented here, I am sure others can come up with equally deserving players who were left OFF these two lists.

What a way for THIS southern gal to enter the world of professional hockey as a fan, being able to watch a league rife with so many good players and setting me up to enjoy the league for years to come! ;)

Ahh, the 90's.

My starting point for being an NHL fan.

That said, I was still quite young during that time, so not sure if my own list would be complete and/or all encompassing, but I will list (in no particular order), players I certainly considered some of the best looking back.

My list will be different from yours as well @JagerMeister , simply because I think there were way too many outstanding players in the 90's to simply narrow it down to just 10 for the whole decade.

However, I will acknowledge at the end of my post, the ones YOU listed that I agree with, 1000% percent!

Here goes my list.

1--Wayne Gretzky.

Sorry, but no list of 'best players' would be complete without this guy as long as he was still an active competitor. And he certainly was during the 90's. He may have been far removed from his glory 80's Edmonton dynasty days, and many people didn't like him on the ice for several reasons, but even his biggest detractors STILL had to acknowledge he was amongst the elite even in the 90's.

2--Mario Lemieux.

See Wayne Gretzky. Just no two ways about it. He belongs on this list. Yea, I know he was mentioned on the other list and mine was going to be a different set of players, but that is how good he was. He will be on this list as well right away!

3--Theo Fleury.

Small man who played very big and succeeded during a time when clutching and grabbing were the norm (and before Claude Giroux made it infamous... :ph34r: ), yet here he was...being able to fight through all that and still produce pretty regularly to the tune of a point per game or damned close to it and on a team that was in steady decline since it's late 80's / early 90's 'best days'.

4--John Vanbiesbrouck.

Very underrated goalie who helped prop up an expansion, grinding, cast-off filled Florida Panthers team throughout the 90's. In fact, the Panthers probably had NO BUSINESS being in any playoff races, much less making a SC Finals appearance, if it weren't for this guy. May not have had the best numbers of some of the elite goalies in the 90's, but I have to wonder if some of those so-called elite guys could have done what he had done in Florida at the time when the team sported about two 3rd lines and two 4th lines....

5--Curtis "Cujo" Joseph.

Here is a goalie who did very well with the Blues in the 90's, though he always seemed to falter a bit during the post season, and did well again when he moved to the Oilers and helped make that team look like it would revive the great Oiler dynasties of the previous decade. Unfortunately, most will remember him for being constantly under fire in the media microscope that is Toronto..but that would be unfair. God himself could have been the goaltender for the Leafs during the 90's (or even today) and it would not have made a difference to the fans n media: Leafs didn't win the Cup, therefore, the goalie was bad, bad, bad..... "Cujo" however, and IMO, still remains as one of the decades better goalies, and probably deserved a better fate during the decade.

6--Scott Stevens.

Another guy no 90's list would be complete without. The majority of this guy's value didn't lay in the numbers he put up, but rather in the number of bodies he laid out. Big, fast, strong, intimidating, leader from the blue line, and a guy that EVERY team that had a super star on it (Gretzky, Lemieux, Lindros, etc) HAD to account for...or else. The Devils of the 90's may have had a very good defensive system with plenty of workmanlike players to play that system to a "T", but I have to wonder if those Devils teams would have been as successful WITHOUT the freight train on track #4 leading the way for them...

7--Paul Kariya.

Guy who made an immediate impact in the NHL, cracked 100 points a few times during the 90's, and again, did all this on a team, the then Mighty Ducks, who really, were far from 'mighty'....yet could always be counted on to be competitive due to this guy and his partner Teemu Selanne. And again, a not-so-big man, succeeding during the days when big strong guys were clutching, grabbing, and generally not allowing smaller skilled players to fully do their thing...yet he too still managed to produce at a high rate. And also keep in mind, that he made his NHL debut smack in the middle of the 90's, so all he was doing at the time, he was doing at a VERY young age....a relative kid still....among men in the league!

8--Rob Blake.

Big man, point producer, leader, enforcer, minutes eater, big shot from the point, and excellent skater for a man his size. Is there anything this guy COULDN'T do?

He was also very coveted by just about every team in the league during the decade and since obviously, only one team could have him (during the 90's it was the Kings), every other team searched frantically through the draft trying to find their own version of Rob Blake. He sorta became, at least IMO, the prototypical do-everything defenseman that would probably thrive in any era.

9--Chris Chelios.

Another guy, much like Scott Stevens, whose value was much more than in just pure numbers. He was a strong leader and personality, played his position quite well, and was basically the heart n soul of the Hawks during the 90's. He was also a very tough player without necessarily being a goon (though he could sometimes play that part too!), and also like Stevens, you always had to account for when he was on the ice (which was often) THEN on top of all that, had to worry about him using his actual hockey skills to set up his very talented forward teammates or score a goal himself.

Guy was always in outstanding physical shape as well, so you couldn't count on wearing him out during a game, as he always seemed quite fresh with 2 min to go in OT as he was when the puck dropped.

10--Niklas Lidstrom.

As loaded as the Wings teams of the 90's were, I have to wonder if Detroit wins as many Cups (if any at all) without the steady, producing leadership of this guy during the 90's. This guy was Ryan Suter in the 90's before Suter popularized playing damned near the entire game, doing it well, and doing it all unassumingly.

Lidstrom wasn't a big, loud, body crunching defenseman like some of his contemporaries....but what he was, was very good at what he did.

Knew all the ins and outs of his position, made ANY defense partner he had look better than what he probably was, knew how to lead NHL professionals of various backgrounds and personalities.

Detroit had lots of good players come and go through their ranks during the 90's, but only very few could be considered, in and of themselves 'essential' and a staple of the team....Steve Yzerman certainly fit that description for the forwards, Niklaus Lidstrom did that from the blue line.

And as for your list, Jager, I very much agree with guys like Mark Messier, Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic, and Eric Lindros on the forward lines, and Roy, Brodeur and Hasek in net.

And I know even with two almost completely different lists already prestented here, I am sure others can come up with equally deserving players who were left OFF these two lists.

What a way for THIS southern gal to enter the world of professional hockey as a fan, being able to watch a league rife with so many good players and setting me up to enjoy the league for years to come! ;)

great post, your right, gretzky should be in my list, and i feel like Stevens should to, that guy was just brutal. So many great players to choose from in the 90s

I don't really have a top 10 list, but here are my thoughts: 

Re: Wayne Gretzky. I can't put him on my list of top 90's players since he wasn't among the elite anymore in the 1990's. (He still got assists, but I never pay attention to assists. ie: See Joe Thornton today.)

Re: Mario Lemieux. I'd put him on my list, except for the fact that I'd rarely or never see him play because he was always injured or dealing with other health issues. He also retired for the first time before the decade was out. Lemieux was basically the best player I never saw.

Re: Dominik Hasek. The dominator was the goalie of the 90's, edging Patrick Roy by a nose. Roy is arguably my favourite because he was cocky, flamboyant, entertaining, and elite. But Hasek was just plain better. Hasek was dull, but he played the game at a level no other goalie has, and he did it year after year. (Honorable mention to Brodeur, but he was always a good goalie playing on the NHL's best defensive team in my opinion. Hasek was the best goalie of all time playing on a mediocre team, and Roy occasionally carried teams that had no business winning the Stanley Cup to the Cup. ie: Montreal.)

Players I would add that others haven't mentioned:

Pavel Bure. The Russian rocket was one of the most exciting and explosive players in the 90's.

Alexander Mogilny. Bure's Russian counterpart was equally amazing in the 90's.

Doug Gilmour. Playing in the biggest hockey spotlight, Gilmour was an elite NHL centerman.

Steve Yzerman. The main man in Detroit had scary offensive skills.

Derian Hatcher. One of the best shutdown D-men on one of the best teams in the NHL.

Sandis Ozolinsh. Helped put the Avs over the top with his incredible offensive skills as a defenceman.

:)

Ill assume we are using only the years 1989-90 to 1998-99? Just because the playoffs first and last falls under the 90's here.

Lemieux obviously tops every list. Even with games missed, he scored 779 points in 377 games. Every single player above him with more points in that timeframe played 662 or more games. LOL

Jaromir Jagr should be on every list. (3 scoring titles, 1 Hart, a couple of Hart 2nd places) Played that well with or without help.

Ray Bourque should be on every list. (3 norris trophies, 3x 2nd place Norris finishes, 2x3rd place Norris finishes. Hart 2nd place + other high Hart finishes as a defenseman)

Dominik Hasek should be on every list.(5 Vezina's, 2 Hart's and a Hart 2nd place + 2x3rd place as a goalie) on the Sabres.....Enough said.

After that I guess it boils down to preference. But those guys dominated their positions above all others at Center/Winger/Defense/Goalie

Ill assume we are using only the years 1989-90 to 1998-99? Just because the playoffs first and last falls under the 90's here.

Lemieux obviously tops every list. Even with games missed, he scored 779 points in 377 games. Every single player above him with more points in that timeframe played 662 or more games. LOL

Jaromir Jagr should be on every list. (3 scoring titles, 1 Hart, a couple of Hart 2nd places) Played that well with or without help.

Ray Bourque should be on every list. (3 norris trophies, 3x 2nd place Norris finishes, 2x3rd place Norris finishes. Hart 2nd place + other high Hart finishes as a defenseman)

Dominik Hasek should be on every list.(5 Vezina's, 2 Hart's and a Hart 2nd place + 2x3rd place as a goalie) on the Sabres.....Enough said.

After that I guess it boils down to preference. But those guys dominated their positions above all others at Center/Winger/Defense/Goalie

yes, 1990-1999 and what they accomplished during those years, thats why i didnt have gretzky in the list

yes, 1990-1999 and what they accomplished during those years, thats why i didnt have gretzky in the list

Have a look at the attached thumbnail....Stats are

GP  Goals---Assts---Points----PIMS--- +/-   and his playoff numbers alongside that.

Sorry, dude...Wayne may not have been the same guy he was in the 80's (and I DID make that disclaimer)...but have a look at this during the 90's:

Breaking the 100 point marker FOUR times (once split over two teams, LA-St.L), a couple 90+ point campaigns, 48 points in a 48 game lock-out shortened season, 65 points in 45 games in a season where he barely played half the season, plus, he was nearly a point per game playing for Team Canada twice during the decade.

I realize Gretzky has people that will look at ANY deficiency in his game to point out "he wasn't that good anymore", but really, one can't argue with the kind of production he put up during the 90's even though it may have been a "downgrade" from his 80's days.

I am willing to bet there are 100% of NHL players who WISH they could 'downgrade' like Wayne and ONLY put up the kinds of numbers he did when he was 'washed up', a 'has-been', and just couldn't cut it in the NHL anymore...

Like the guy or not (and I am not assuming you don't), to NOT put Wayne amongst the best, even though he was in decline during the 90's is just plain egregious. Period.

Just goes to show how good the guy really was during the balance of his career when he can put up numbers like he did during that decade and by his own standards, they are 'declining' numbers....meanwhile, hockey players the world over would give their left kidney to be able to say they put up those kinds of numbers over the course of 10 years.

And to top it off, the guy had the sense in 1999 to quit while he was still ahead...not hanging around and tarnish his legacy.

He probably could have continued to play into the 2000's (though I think injuries were starting to catch up with him), put up mediocre numbers and still collect a nice paycheck.

His standards (and body) demanded he call it a career before he ever became that guy who hung around too long.

post-1129-0-43651700-1419796027_thumb.jp

Have a look at the attached thumbnail....Stats are

GP  Goals---Assts---Points----PIMS--- +/-   and his playoff numbers alongside that.

Sorry, dude...Wayne may not have been the same guy he was in the 80's (and I DID make that disclaimer)...but have a look at this during the 90's:

Breaking the 100 point marker FOUR times (once split over two teams, LA-St.L), a couple 90+ point campaigns, 48 points in a 48 game lock-out shortened season, 65 points in 45 games in a season where he barely played half the season, plus, he was nearly a point per game playing for Team Canada twice during the decade.

I realize Gretzky has people that will look at ANY deficiency in his game to point out "he wasn't that good anymore", but really, one can't argue with the kind of production he put up during the 90's even though it may have been a "downgrade" from his 80's days.

I am willing to bet there are 100% of NHL players who WISH they could 'downgrade' like Wayne and ONLY put up the kinds of numbers he did when he was 'washed up', a 'has-been', and just couldn't cut it in the NHL anymore...

Like the guy or not (and I am not assuming you don't), to NOT put Wayne amongst the best, even though he was in decline during the 90's is just plain egregious. Period.

Just goes to show how good the guy really was during the balance of his career when he can put up numbers like he did during that decade and by his own standards, they are 'declining' numbers....meanwhile, hockey players the world over would give their left kidney to be able to say they put up those kinds of numbers over the course of 10 years.

And to top it off, the guy had the sense in 1999 to quit while he was still ahead...not hanging around and tarnish his legacy.

He probably could have continued to play into the 2000's (though I think injuries were starting to catch up with him), put up mediocre numbers and still collect a nice paycheck.

His standards (and body) demanded he call it a career before he ever became that guy who hung around too long.

You are right, i fully admit i was wrong, he should be in the top ten, not sure about top 5 though, because there were a few players that accomplished more in the 1990s

Archived