Matt Cooke spears Weber, crosschecks him in the face, then turtles

flyercanuck

I don't even see a spearing. If that little tummy poke is a spearing these days, the pansification of the NHL must be complete. My ten year old has hit me harder than that...

I don't like Cooke's antics, but again much adieu about nothing here.

I don't see the spear, but only watched it once. What I did see is two guys coming together with sticks raised, with one deciding to cross check the other in the teeth. Hardly nothing.

I don't see the spear, but only watched it once. What I did see is two guys coming together with sticks raised, with one deciding to cross check the other in the teeth. Hardly nothing.

Honestly take the names off the sweaters and this is sort of day to day NHL is my point. Two players skating towards each other with their sticks up and one or both takes a push to the mush. Battles like this are all through hockey, and we love it. It's that edge.

Honestly take the names off the sweaters and this is sort of day to day NHL is my point. Two players skating towards each other with their sticks up and one or both takes a push to the mush. Battles like this are all through hockey, and we love it. It's that edge.

Matt Cooke has cheapshotted his way through an entire career spanning over a decade.He can't just hit someone, he always goes for the injury.. Theres a reason why every hockey fan except a handful of Pens fans and one Wild fan, and his mother like to see this gutless POS have his face beaten in. Heck the ref even gave Weber a nod there. No doubt they're as sick of his bs as the rest of us.

I think anytime Cooke gets his its threadworthy. 

@Polaris922

I don't think its spectacular either. It's just Cooke being a jerk yet again. And getting filled in yet again while turtling yet again. Just another day for Cooke. And something to discuss on a hockey forum.

Beats continually posting pictures of Village People type cops..... NTTAWWT   :cool[1]:

Love it?! It wasn't "a battle." It was a confrontation born of a dirty play, or attempted dirty play, where one guy, instead of doing the honorable thing (fighting) chooses instead to make another dirty play. Cross checks to the teeth like that are hardly everyday events...

Love it?! It wasn't "a battle." It was a confrontation born of a dirty play, or attempted dirty play, where one guy, instead of doing the honorable thing (fighting) chooses instead to make another dirty play. Cross checks to the teeth like that are hardly everyday events...

We love the edginess and emotion in the game. The scrappy plays and drive to win. That was my reference. But any game filled night you DO find crosschecks to the head and similar plays. Just about any night in the NHL someone is taking an unnecessary punch, stick, elbow or occasionally even a knee to the noggin. Just Tuesday night Bortuzzo took a crosscheck to the head and Downie an elbow in the mush. And I'm sure if I looked at the entire game the Pens would be guilty somewhere too.

Right or wrong it is, and always has been the dirty side of the game. Fortunately it doesn't result in many injuries in the after whistle stuff, but don't try to make this one seem worse by inferring its some rare act of violence. That's just not true.

We love the edginess and emotion in the game. The scrappy plays and drive to win. That was my reference. But any game filled night you DO find crosschecks to the head and similar plays. Just about any night in the NHL someone is taking an unnecessary punch, stick, elbow or occasionally even a knee to the noggin. Just Tuesday night Bortuzzo took a crosscheck to the head and Downie an elbow in the mush. And I'm sure if I looked at the entire game the Pens would be guilty somewhere too. 

Right or wrong it is, and always has been the dirty side of the game. Fortunately it doesn't result in many injuries in the after whistle stuff, but don't try to make this one seem worse by inferring its some rare act of violence. That's just not true. 

I'm the making a clear distinction between dirty hockey (deliberate, premeditated, c*nty etc) and "tough," "edgy," or whatever else you want to call it, even the elbowing and stuff that occurs in the course of the game, much of which is not deliberate. It happens sure.

I submit that when two guys come together like that, are starring into each other's eyes, yelling at each other etc, it is rare for one of them to cross check the other in the teeth. That kind of scene is not an everyday occurrence in any league. It's just not.

I'm the making a clear distinction between dirty hockey (deliberate, premeditated, c*nty etc) and "tough," "edgy," or whatever else you want to call it, even the elbowing and stuff that occurs in the course of the game, much of which is not deliberate. It happens sure.

I submit that when two guys come together like that, are starring into each other's eyes, yelling at each other etc, it is rare for one of them to cross check the other in the teeth. That kind of scene is not an everyday occurrence in any league. It's just not.

There's the difference then. I think it's just as deliberate during play most of the time, as it is after the whistle. So to me it's every day. Fair enough.

There's the difference then. I think it's just as deliberate during play most of the time, as it is after the whistle. So to me it's every day. Fair enough. 

Ok. I guess.

I clearly think the distinction is more important than you do. That is, it's not just a question of perception or interpretation of what we are seeing. You see them as more or less the same. To me, the distinction is critical.

But don't take my word for it. Look at Weber's reaction - he goes ape ****! How often do you see a guy do that? Not that often. The reason is because Weber knows the difference between an elbow that got up too high and a deliberate act of prickishness like that, after the play has stopped.

Anyway, the distinction appears to be lost on you. And you're a cop eh?  :ph34r:

Ok. I guess.

I clearly think the distinction is more important than you do. That is, it's not just a question of perception or interpretation of what we are seeing. You see them as more or less the same. To me, the distinction is critical.

But don't take my word for it. Look at Weber's reaction - he goes ape ****! How often do you see a guy do that? Not that often. The reason is because Weber knows the difference between an elbow that got up too high and a deliberate act of prickishness like that, after the play has stopped.

Anyway, the distinction appears to be lost on you. And you're a cop eh? :ph34r:

Ok let's play word spin then...

So in your mind when it happens during the gameplay they're somehow LESS responsible? It's LESS dirty? It's LESS of an intent to injure?

Yes I'm a cop. And because of what I see day in and day out, I firmly believe that each and every one of us is responsible for what we do. Whether its at the grocery store, our homes, on the ice during games, or after the whistle.

I don't recall you cutting James KNeal any slack for kneeing Marchand in the head, but that was during the play. Would it seem dirtier if it were after the whistle? To me it doesn't matter when the whistle was.

This is no different. A crosscheck to the face out if anger or frustration is a crosscheck to the face out if anger or frustration. Does it matter if its during gameplay or not? Emphatically no. I don't see any excuse for it.

I do think these types of things happen all too frequently in the game today. And you have agreed in numerous posts in the past when people have discussed the instigator rule, fighting, and anything regarding how to deal with cheap shots and crap like this.

I don't see Cooke, or Bertuzzi, or Pronger, or Downie, or Carcillo, or a hundred other players that do it as the problem. I see the league's allowing it to go on as the problem. The league's failure to properly address issues and stand by their decisions is the problem.

Weber would've reacted the same way if it had happened before the whistle. Who are you kidding?

People are responsible for what they do. I don't think that responsibility declines because they have no history or it was during gameplay. But hey, I guess that's just because I'm a cop, eh?

So in your mind when it happens during the gameplay they're somehow LESS responsible? It's LESS dirty? It's LESS of an intent to injure? 

No. You were talking about "edgy" play that occurs during "battles" and I'm saying players make the distinction between that and explicitly, premeditated dirty play. In this case the difference would be between a cross-check that occurred during the play, say in the corner during a puck battle, that was intended (probably) to be on the arm, but slid up the shoulder pad (likely accidentally, but you never know) and connected to a guy's neck. Sure he's pissed and likely seeks retribution. But at the same time, he's happy to take the powerplay and takes a number. 

And: a guy who after the play is in a scrum and, while he stares you down, cross checks you right in the teeth. They are very different plays with very different reactions by the victim.

But don't take my word for it. Look at Weber's reaction - he goes ape ****! How often do you see a guy do that? Not that often. The reason is because Weber knows the difference between an elbow that got up too high and a deliberate act of prickishness like that, after the play has stopped.

Of course Weber knows. Just ask Yannic Seidenberg.  ;)

@B21

You Pens fans will defend Cooke even long after he left your organization eh?

Did I defend him?

Just adding a little smarm to the thread.

Now that he's is off the Pens of course he is a dirty POS.  I also nominated Downie for sainthood.

No. You were talking about "edgy" play that occurs during "battles" and I'm saying players make the distinction between that and explicitly, premeditated dirty play. In this case the difference would be between a cross-check that occurred during the play, say in the corner during a puck battle, that was intended (probably) to be on the arm, but slid up the shoulder pad (likely accidentally, but you never know) and connected to a guy's neck. Sure he's pissed and likely seeks retribution. But at the same time, he's happy to take the powerplay and takes a number.

And: a guy who after the play is in a scrum and, while he stares you down, cross checks you right in the teeth. They are very different plays with very different reactions by the victim.

I never addressed carelessness. None of the actions I've pointed to or discussed were sticks riding up a shoulder. I've been addressing the intentional stuff from the start. As Cooke's clearly was.

Archived