Matt Cooke spears Weber, crosschecks him in the face, then turtles

flyercanuck

The "changed man" is at it again. This time he spears Shea Weber as he skates by, then crosschecks him right in the face. When Weber comes at him what else would a gutless cheapshot artist do but turtle.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/matt-cooke-gets-pummelled-by-shea-weber-1.2897408

The "changed man" is at it again. This time he spears Shea Weber as he skates by, then crosschecks him right in the face. When Weber comes at him what else would a gutless cheapshot artist do but turtle. http://www.cbc.ca/sp...weber-1.2897408

P.O.S.

There are just some guys who are dirty players. I recently encountered one of these meatheads in my beer league. His "thing" is slew-footing people. He likes to sneak up from behind, usually when you are away from the puck, and wham, down you go. He got me a month ago, but I didn't see who did it at the time - nobody did. But yesterday, he tried it again, but at the last second I saw him and avoided it. He didn't deny it, said something like "don't get in my way then."

I caught him later in the game once we were up by several goals as he unwisely cut to the middle, into the high slot. Nice shoulder right to the chin. He went down hard. Best two minutes I've spent in the penalty box in a long while...

Actually, I believe the correct response is " Of course he spears him, crosschecks him in the face and turtles...he's Matt Cooke".

You forgot to add "the new and improved Darcy Tucker/Ti Domi model....."

@flyerrod

Domi, pain in the arse that he was would at least drop the gloves, even with Probie. Cooke is simply the worst case scenario for the instigator rule. Clowns like him need absolutely drilled, I bet Nystrom or some such goes after him the next time these two teams meat. I hope so anyway. Cooke has a history of running like a girl, getting really old really quick.

@flyerrod

Domi, pain in the arse that he was would at least drop the gloves, even with Probie. Cooke is simply the worst case scenario for the instigator rule. Clowns like him need absolutely drilled, I bet Nystrom or some such goes after him the next time these two teams meat. I hope so anyway. Cooke has a history of running like a girl, getting really old really quick.

Unless your name was Sandy McCarthy...Domi always pussed when it came to dropping the mitts with him and I don't know why. You are right though. Kasparitus would have a better choice for cheap shot and never answer for your sins kind of guy.

To me the biggest coward,  pu$$y of all time is Ulf Samuelsson. 6 ft 4m  230 lbs, cheap shotted everyone and NEVER would drop the gloves. Second and third place go to Dale Hunter and Clause Lemieux. All of these guys were big and dished out numerous cheap shots, but would never fight.

Watching the video... I'm disappointed. Mountains out of molehills. I don't see a "spearing" there. And trading crosschecks happens all the time, including a high stick or two in there. I'd say that was Cooke getting Weber off the ice for five, nothing more. Put another player's name on the Wild jersey and we don't even discuss this.

@Polaris922

If it was another player it may well be the first time he speared, and crosschecked someone in the face...and turtled. Since it isn't and it's matt Cooke, its just another in his extremely long list of dirty gutless cheapshots where he's too cowardly to answer the bell after. 

If you caught a guy speeding ONCE, you might let him go. If you caught him doing it every week for 12 years you're not.

To me the biggest coward,  pu$$y of all time is Ulf Samuelsson. 6 ft 4m  230 lbs, cheap shotted everyone and NEVER would drop the gloves. Second and third place go to Dale Hunter and Clause Lemieux. All of these guys were big and dished out numerous cheap shots, but would never fight.

Agreed.

Worst of all time.

I am by NO STRETCH a Matt Cooke fan...and frankly, would like him off the Minnesota Wild....but after looking at the video, I'd have to agree with those who say Cooke got his stick up because an irked Shea Weber was going at him.

Granted, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Cooke's antics enraged Weber in the first place.

I was at the game, and it seemed to me the later in the game it got, the more Cooke seemed to try and bait Nashville players, so its not out of the realm of possibility that Cooke perhaps poked, yapped, or slashed at someone one too many times and Weber had had enough.

That all said, the video seems to indicate that Weber himself had his stick in the 'cross check' position and looked like he was thinking of leveling Cooke with it....only, being the rodent player Cooke is, Matt beat him to the proverbial punch...

Of course, after they tangled, Cooke is no fighter, and Weber got his final revenge (the physical revenge anyways) by beating Matt to the ice.

At the end of the day though, Cooke DID get one of Nashville's better defenders off the ice...not that was going to do much good in this game.

Preds simply outplayed Minnesota from the opening puck drop to the final horn, bottom line.

But yea, Cooke is being roasted because of his reputation, and I get that, but in this case, I wouldn't say "it was Cooke just doing what he usually does"...again, splitting hairs here, but he was somewhat justified in bringing his stick up....like I said Weber looked like he was about to do the same.

Weber beating his arse though, well, that was expected, and I really don't feel sorry for Cooke anyways.

Not to defend Cooke, but if you had a pissed off Shea Weber coming after you, wouldn't you get your stick up?

Maybe if you don't want a pissed off Weber coming at you, you shouldn't spear him, then crosscheck him in the face?

Maybe if you don't want a pissed off Weber coming at you, you shouldn't spear him, then crosscheck him in the face?

Poking the bear wasn't a good idea, but they were both going for a crosscheck, Cooke's just connected with Weber's face. And of course he turtled. Weber has like 5 inches and 40 pounds on him. Cooke knew he was about to get mauled.

I don't even see a spearing. If that little tummy poke is a spearing these days, the pansification of the NHL must be complete. My ten year old has hit me harder than that...

I don't like Cooke's antics, but again much adieu about nothing here.

Archived