3 young goalie prospects looking good so far for Sabres

Buffalo Rick

g..g..go...goal...goalie pros...prospect?

I'm sorry, I'm from Philly.  What is  a goalie prospect?  

Are you suggesting that other teams like draft and develop goalies?   Hmmm...interesting concept.

Are you suggesting that other teams like draft and develop goalies?   Hmmm...interesting concept.

What are the alternatives?  Go grab the Hawks backup netminder and hope he is the next Dominator?

What are the alternatives?  Go grab the Hawks backup netminder and hope he is the next Dominator?

Well, previously, the alternative was to sign a free agent from Phoenix for 7x what he's worth to a 9 year contract.

I like your idea better.

The Flyers have a fantastic goaltending prospect in Anthony Stolarz.

Hopefully the Phantoms make the playoffs so we see what he can do. So far from what I've seen he's MAF...big, athletic, great regular seasons and melts down in the playoffs.

He sure has had mixed results lately he has been yanked in his last couple.....but it's his first year so i'll temper expectations i guess.

He sure has had mixed results lately he has been yanked in his last couple.....but it's his first year so i'll temper expectations i guess.

I'm not worried about a 20 year old hitting a slump. He'll pull through it. I look at Stolarz and compare his progress to that of Tukka Rask. Rask's first year, he only had a .905 save percentage. Stolarz is at .911 right now. With Zepp being back, he should Stolarz right the ship a bit and help him get back on track. I am convinced though that Lehigh Valley needs a full time goaltender coach down there. Only having Jeff Reese appear once or twice a week is not sufficient enough. I'm hopeful that once Ray Emery's contract is up, Hextall convinces him to become a goaltending coach in Lehigh Valley. Emery could be a real good coach and I think Stolarz would benefit from working with a full time goaltending coach.

Rating young goaltenders is a scout's toughest job.   

Definitely. With that being said, Stolarz is a legitimate blue chipper. People sometimes forget how far he's come in a short period of time. Right now, the biggest thing with Stolarz is that he's refining parts of his game that need work (rebound control, puck handling, and not dropping into the butterfly all the time and relying on athleticism to make routine saves). He's still another year away from being able to challenge for the back up spot. With that being said, he has improved ten fold in those areas since being drafted. True fact about Stolarz - before coming to the London Knights of the OHL, he never worked with a goaltending coach. The only goaltending coach he had was his brother and what they did was watch Anthony's tapes from the NAHL and then watch videos of Martin Brodeur and compare what Brodeur would have done. The kid has a stellar work ethic though and I think that's going to be what gets him to the show. I'm excited for Stolarz and what he can bring.

Archived