Tonight's game against the Jets...

Polaris922

I think the Pens win tonight. No Crosby, no Malkin, maybe no Letang though he skated this morning, as did Hornqvist. I'm reading "game time decision.

But I think the Pens tend to step up when the two tops are out, and I think Winnipeg is a team they can beat with a decent defensive effort.

Any thoughts??

I like the way the Jets play and have been playing this year.  they are big and know it, they hit and skate and make every inch of ice a contest.  If the top dogs were there i'd say sure Pens start the second half with a good test but their skill carried the day... i don't see W/B Scranton beating this year's version of the Jets.

I think the Pens win tonight. No Crosby, no Malkin, maybe no Letang though he skated this morning, as did Hornqvist. I'm reading "game time decision.

But I think the Pens tend to step up when the two tops are out, and I think Winnipeg is a team they can beat with a decent defensive effort.

Any thoughts??

Hopefully the Pens players don't take the Jets as lightly as you do, or they will be in for a nasty surprise.

The Jets have one of the best road records in the league. They play hard and fast, especially on the road. They are a handful for most teams right now. They all say so.

@mojo1917

@Podein25

It's not about taking the Jets lightly, it's about the Jets not having a true star line like some teams have. They have size and speed, sure, but the Pens can match their intensity. And Pavelec is more up and down than Fleury, so a good game by #29 tips things in our favor.

@mojo1917

@Podein25

It's not about taking the Jets lightly, it's about the Jets not having a true star line like some teams have. They have size and speed, sure, but the Pens can match their intensity. And Pavelec is more up and down than Fleury, so a good game by #29 tips things in our favor.

Isn't that taking them lightly, saying they are beatable because they don't have stars? Besides, have you seen Byfuglien play lately? Dominant.

Pavs is hated but he has been fine this year. One poorish stretch. More importantly, who is stating? Hutch has been great.

Intensity? Few teams can match the Jets right now. We shall see in about 4 hours...

I don't know, the top line is Kunitz-Spalling-Hornqvist, with the second of Perron-Sutter-Bennet.  

And Perron is a gametime decision as he left practice ill, and Letang is still a game time decision.   AND Griess is going to start in net to leave Fleury available to play tomorrow against the Craps. Going to be a hard one, and they almost need to play this like an away game and be very tight defensively.     The planets are not aligning too well for the Pens tonight.

I never count out the Pens because regardless, overall, as a team, they just things done....however, I DO believe they will be finding this year's version of the Jets quite a handful.

It took the Pens a SO win to hold off the Jets when they played earlier this year...and that was when Wpg was NOT playing as well.

Now they roll into Pitts firing on all cylinders, and with one of the better road records this season as was mentioned, and quit a stifling defense, both 5 on 5 and on the PK.

Pavelec? Yea, he has been better this year, though he can still be seen laying an egg or two, but Hutchinson? Outstanding.

I think the key to this game will be the PP.

Jets can play a great game, but if their PP is ineffective, they can fall short against good teams like Pittsburgh.

Pens usually live by their PP...obviously, missing some key components to that PP will be a factor, but if the players that do suit up tonight make the PP work nonetheless, it can take away some of the aggressiveness of the Jets and give the Penguins the nod.

Also agreed the Pens may have to play this one like a defensive road game.

I don't know, the top line is Kunitz-Spalling-Hornqvist, with the second of Perron-Sutter-Bennet.

And Perron is a gametime decision as he left practice ill, and Letang is still a game time decision. AND Griess is going to start in net to leave Fleury available to play tomorrow against the Craps. Going to be a hard one, and they almost need to play this like an away game and be very tight defensively. The planets are not aligning too well for the Pens tonight.

Well I just saw a stat that said the Jets/Thrashers have lost 13 straight in Pitt. So, it may depend on your level of superstition around the number 13 how you feel about the Pens changes tonight.

Should be a good one either way.

How does the officiating look on tv? I'm at the game and they're really letting everything go from my perspective? 2-2... But some brutal stuff away from the puck.

I had the same view but took it as letting them play. Saw some good slashes that are often called.

@Podein25

Charging was a lousy call? Looked like a hit from behind into the boards from here. The slashing is nothing. The behind the play stuff is out of control. But plenty of hooking going on with no calls.

@notfondajane

The Jets were yelling that a few times but the Pens have done it right. No calls deserved. The one that would've been they let the puck go to the Jets to avoid the call. Arcobello I think it was.

@Podein25

Charging was a lousy call? Looked like a hit from behind into the boards from here. The slashing is nothing. The behind the play stuff is out of control. But plenty of hooking going on with no calls.

@notfondajane

The Jets were yelling that a few times but the Pens have done it right. No calls deserved. The one that would've been they let the puck go to the Jets to avoid the call. Arcobello I think it was.

@Podein25

@notfondajane

consistentency would be nice!

@Podein25

Charging was a lousy call? Looked like a hit from behind into the boards from here.

It was neither charging nor from behind. Lowry was barely moving. And Downie had turned around to face the play. But he had his head down. Not a penalty.

Lousy call on Lowry leading to 4th Pens goal on PP.

Iffy but I would not call it lousy. All he had to do is play the puck.  Jets ran around all night just hitting people whether they had the puck or not.  It was bound to happen that they got a penalty.   There were so many prior to that, you really can't complain.  

Good on the Pens tonight, really surprised me with a win.  They played with lots of speed all night, and withstood a lot of pressure.  Greis was pretty shaky in goal, but a win is a win. 

It was neither charging nor from behind. Lowry was barely moving. And Downie had turned around to face the play. But he had his head down. Not a penalty.

Regardless Podein, we've had our share of bad calls this year.  Heck, this is one of a minority of games where we got more power plays than the other team.  Oh well, we'll take it. 

Archived