Pens acquire Maxim Lapierre for Marcel Goc

nossagog

Fixed. ;)

And don't try to sneak Downie in there as a thug.  His history in Juniors is not admissable, the hit on MacCrimmon was not all the bad, he's really been "misunderstood", etc., etc. ;):ph34r:

This is about Lapierre.

OK, this is about Lapierre. I know. Another idiot. Thats why i started on this.

Be fair here - a lot of (not all!) what causes these "meltdowns" crosses the line.  That's what guys like Rinaldo and Lapierre are supposed to prevent.  It's not like Crosby was getting upset over a face wash.

Teams play tough in postseason. If you play dirty you'll get penalized. Not many teams want to face Crosby/malkin/Letang + on a pp. Some players can take it, others can't. I'd say its pretty obvious your top 3 guys have a lot lower threshold when it comes to keeping things in check. And when those guys lose it, the rest of the team falls in line.

@flyercanuck

Crosby and Malkin actually played pretty level headed this last game. They didn't blow their composure as in games past, despite a reported away from the play hit on Malkin that caused injury. A hit I have yet to see any evidence of other than the injury, by the way.

They held their composure just fine. Maybe THAT is the true purpose of the Downie and Sill type players. Farnham played plenty of games this season and his call up against Philly was more about Goc's illness than some aggressive effort but even if that WERE the case, I'd be all for it.

Frankly I'm tired of the Flyers aggression in every single game. I know it's about getting under the skin if Crosby and Malkin. I know that's the game plan. But I want Lapierre and Downie, Sill and Farnham, out there bashing away every chance they get. I WANT them to go after Voracek and Giroux so your dirtbags have to focus on them, not our stars.

Your team's tactics are the very reason these players HAVE to be used to protect our stars. If knowing Downie will gladly stir the pot so Crosby doesn't have to somehow helps him play the game right and win games, get me two or three Downie's. so be it.

Now we're right back to square one. You got Lapierre to protect from Rinaldo. Rinaldo to protect from Downie. Downie to protect from....Rinaldo? Rinaldo to protect from Neal. Neal to score and give headshots and knees. Someone else to stop that. Cooke to try and end anyones career he can. 

You say you're sick of the Flyers causing crap? Well the entire league got sick of Cooke, then Neal. Good on you guys for finally getting rid of them, but don't pretend your team isn't the same when it comes to cheapshots as anyone else. Philly has had its share of Rinaldos, Carcillos and Downies. So have you guys. But most of the league seems to be downgrading on them.

Now we're right back to square one. You got Lapierre to protect from Rinaldo. Rinaldo to protect from Downie. Downie to protect from....Rinaldo? Rinaldo to protect from Neal. Neal to score and give headshots and knees. Someone else to stop that. Cooke to try and end anyones career he can.

You say you're sick of the Flyers causing crap? Well the entire league got sick of Cooke, then Neal. Good on you guys for finally getting rid of them, but don't pretend your team isn't the same when it comes to cheapshots as anyone else. Philly has had its share of Rinaldos, Carcillos and Downies. So have you guys. But most of the league seems to be downgrading on them.

That's the point. Nobody is getting rid if them. Until that really does happen, I want them here to protect star players. We tried not having that style of player and it's gotten our stars battered and bruised.

We don't claim the Pens are above that. But we will stand by the fact that they have tried to do without it and paid for it.

Philly dumps Rinaldo and I'll gain some respect for that organization. Until they do I say bring in Lapierre and his brothers Darrel...

@B21

Rinaldo isn't protecting anyone. it was sarcasm. If anything Rinaldo puts our star players at risk with his stupidity.

C'mon. Don't be naive.  What other purpose could Rinaldo serve? He literally has no other skill set. At least Cooke was a well-know PK guy and Neal just happened to score 40 goals.  Not justifying their existence but it further proves my opinion that teams (not just Philly) have guys like that for one reason.

Teams play tough in postseason. If you play dirty you'll get penalized. Not many teams want to face Crosby/malkin/Letang + on a pp. Some players can take it, others can't. I'd say its pretty obvious your top 3 guys have a lot lower threshold when it comes to keeping things in check. And when those guys lose it, the rest of the team falls in line.

To which I will counter - accurately - that Crosby and Malkin (not so much Letang) do not have a lower threshold; they deal with more of that BS than other players.  

The Pens turned the other cheek.  It didn't take long for them to realize how well that was going to work.  So they bring in a Lapierre to give the other team a moment of pause before going after Crosby and/or Malkin. 

Stop already with this holier-than-thou attitude that you think the Pens have (all because of something Mario said 2 years ago and after which he got rid of his two problem players) and stop making this about who has/doesn't have dirty players. We get that just about every team does.  Not even arguing that.

It's not like they brought in Lapierre with orders to kill.  He's here to be reactive - not proactive.

C'mon. Don't be naive.  What other purpose could Rinaldo serve? He literally has no other skill set. At least Cooke was a well-know PK guy and Neal just happened to score 40 goals.  Not justifying their existence but it further proves my opinion that teams (not just Philly) have guys like that for one reason.

I'm not saying Rinaldo has another skill set. I'm just saying he doesn't protect anyone. 

Again...did having Downie AND Farnham AND Sill protect Letang from Rinaldo?  Did having Rinaldo stop Neal from giving Giroux and Courturier headshots? 

Idiots will be idiots, no matter who is on the ice.

I'm not saying Rinaldo has another skill set. I'm just saying he doesn't protect anyone. 

Not going to argue your opinion but I think the Flyers have a different one.

Again...did having Downie AND Farnham AND Sill protect Letang from Rinaldo?  Did having Rinaldo stop Neal from giving Giroux and Courturier headshots? 

Hey - I never said it works.  I've been incredibly outspoken taking the exact opposite stance especially when it comes to guys like Rinaldo who fear no one.  I am saying that (i/m/h/o) that is why the Flyers have Rinaldo and why the Pens brought in Lapierre (not Downie or Cooke or Neal - they at least serve some other purpose).

Would Rinaldo think twice about taking out Letang if the Pens had a Lapierre to go along with Downie? Maybe but I doubt it.  Maybe if Lapierre takes out Voracek next time he (Rinaldo) would. Sad to say - I hope that happens.  

Edit: And even Lapierre brings something to the table other than his "edginess".  He just happened to score several big time goals in the playoffs which is something even the Pens could use.  Pick your comparison....Claude Lemieux Lite or Max Talbot w/ Attitude...though I will absolutely agree the primary reason the Pens added him is to be a deterrant.

@B21

Well his grand total of three playoff points over the last 4 seasons tell me he's closer to Rinaldo than Lemieux or Talbot in the scoring dept.

I hope Lapierre takes out Rinaldo while Rinaldo takes him out at the same time. Unlikely, but thats my preference. I wouldn't wish injury on any non-douchey Pen. 

Well his grand total of three playoff points over the last 4 seasons tell me he's closer to Rinaldo than Lemieux or Talbot in the scoring dept.

There's that selective statisticizing. The goals I was referring to were 2010 with Montreal and 2011 with Vancouver when both had long playoff runs. Both clutch goals.

I hope Lapierre takes out Rinaldo while Rinaldo takes him out at the same time. Unlikely, but thats my preference. I wouldn't wish injury on any non-douchey Pen. 

I would agree except my wish that Lapierre exacts revenge on Voracek is about the same reaction Flyerland had when Neal tried to take out Courturier and Giroux. Isn't that how players police themselves? (Added for smarm since I think you and I agree on the absurdity of players policing themselves).

There's that selective statisticizing. The goals I was referring to were 2010 with Montreal and 2011 with Vancouver when both had long playoff runs. Both clutch goals.

Well you can call it selective, but the Lapierre you;re getting is the present one, and not the version of 4 or 5 years ago. 

I would agree except my wish that Lapierre exacts revenge on Voracek is about the same reaction Flyerland had when Neal tried to take out Courturier and Giroux. Isn't that how players police themselves? (Added for smarm since I think you and I agree on the absurdity of players policing themselves).

Voracek took out who exactly? Neal is one of the dirtiest cheapshot artists in the league. What makes it even sadder is theres absolutely no reason for him to play that way. He's a gifted goal scorer and could make a great living doing just that. But he chooses to target other players heads just for the heck of it. If he got injured  it would only show there are Hockey gods. Voracek plays the game the way it should be played.

I don't know what happened to Goc, I thought he was a very nice addition to the Pens, but it just never worked out. He always seemed like the perfect 4th line center, hard working, very defensively responsible but the guys game has just fell off a cliff. I swear he was better than this just last year. 

I don't know what happened to Goc, I thought he was a very nice addition to the Pens, but it just never worked out. He always seemed like the perfect 4th line center, hard working, very defensively responsible but the guys game has just fell off a cliff. I swear he was better than this just last year. 

He actually wasn't bad, but he didn't live up to any offensive expectations. And they were low to start. I think his face off numbers are probably equal to what Lapierre's are, so his biggest asset is a wash.

Voracek took out who exactly? Neal is one of the dirtiest cheapshot artists in the league. What makes it even sadder is theres absolutely no reason for him to play that way. He's a gifted goal scorer and could make a great living doing just that. But he chooses to target other players heads just for the heck of it. If he got injured  it would only show there are Hockey gods. Voracek plays the game the way it should be played.

Voracek took out no one.  But do you really expect the Pens (since this is specific to that situation) to go after the 5:00 TOI guy who took out their star?  Or do you expect them to take the "eye for an eye" stance and go after one of the Flyers stars? You said it yourself that Rinaldo puts your own star players at risk.

Re: Neal.  Yes - aaaaagain - he is a dirty POS. But he also scores goals. Lots of 'em. The Pens didn't trade for him because they needed a dirty POS. They did need a goal scoring winger. (Please - no "Crosby/Malkin-made-Neal-what-he-is argument. He's on pace for 32 goals this year...on Nashville. It's obvious the guy can score w/o the need of an all-world center).

"Nice".  That was just it - he was too nice.  They felt they needed some....edginess.  No doubt Lapierre brings that.

Archived