TSNs mid season draft ranking

flyercanuck

@flyercanuck  Interesting article. Ya know, I've gone back on forth on this tanking thing...in the end, we can wish either way till the cows come home and it will change nothing...so I'm ready to accept whatever comes of this mess of a season. I smell a meaningless winning steak coming.....I really do.

I was SUPER impressed by that USA Carlo kid, big 6'5 and a smooth stride, if we rallied to make the playoffs, won a few rounds and still came away with Carlo, I'd be ok with the whole thing. Our 2 star forwards and respectable tending from Mase will take us out of legit super star range, but who knows, with a draft this deep, maybe a few Gagne's hanging around in the high teens early twenties....we shall see.

I agree with Werenski being in and around the 8-10ish range, liked him more than Carlo...but would be thrilled with either of them. The big winger we crave, Crouse should be long gone by the time we pick...as impressed as I am about his size and skill, he does have a bit of bust potential. Those power forward types are usually dead on hits or bums.

Obviously our wishes have zero effect on the play of the team. I just think another big impact player is going to have a lot more positive effect going forward than yet another meaningless winning streak or short playoff appearance. We (barely) made the playoffs last year and it had zero positive effect on the team this year.

Of course theres always diamonds in the rough, and the Flyers have found the odd Gagne or Giroux. But your odds are a hell of a lot better the higher you pick, and there are some gems in the top of this draft. Nothing any of us says will determine our draft status...but I'll gladly take a shot at McDavid, or whatever we end up with than 5 playoff games.

@flyercanuck  I'm right at the end of a brutal 8 consecutive 12 hour shifts, I have the superbowl booked off, which finally brings an end to the work stretch....I intend to watch a few Portland games to get a look at his Bittner kid, big winger who might be right in our wheel house if we start to win games like I think we will. He's big 6'4 but don't know much about him. Anyone else know anything about Bittner and how does he compare to Crouse?

@flyercanuck  I'm right at the end of a brutal 8 consecutive 12 hour shifts, I have the superbowl booked off, which finally brings an end to the work stretch....I intend to watch a few Portland games to get a look at his Bittner kid, big winger who might be right in our wheel house if we start to win games like I think we will. He's big 6'4 but don't know much about him. Anyone else know anything about Bittner and how does he compare to Crouse?

I didn't watch all that much of the WJC but I liked what I saw of Bittner and Crouse. Both big wingers who can skate. It looked like Bittner has a nice scoring touch too. I think I'd be happy with either of those guys.

@JackStraw  Like many Flyer fans, I want that big hulking power forward LW who can bring the pain and bury the puck....but I'm really secretly hoping for Werenksi, I think that guy is gonna be a huge star.

I haven't really paid much attention to him but I have heard good things about him.

Bob McKenzie released his rankings at this point of the season. He takes 10 top scouts projections and averages them out. No real surprises here...kind of funny the top 12 has 4 C 4 D and 4 W

http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-the-unanimous-no-1-in-tsn-s-mid-season-ranking-1.193058

I wonder if this kid could be a possibility...Brandon Carlo...he will be there i think when they draft i think. Flyers need some righties on the blueline plus he is huge 6-5 and skates well.

You know anything about this kid?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120965

Brandon Carlo is an industrious, shift-by-shift defenceman who lets the game come to him rather than chasing the play; he is able to quickly adapt to the pace of the game on the fly. Through maneuvering his way around the ice and making high-percentage, skilled decisions in all three zones, he is able to shut opposition offense down before it begins to take shape.

Carlo is a smooth skater who can control the puck very well and get into open areas for scoring chances; that being said, he does and will need help finding offense due to his natural defensive style of play. All-in-all, a towering, defensive d-man that has very few holes in his game and is physically ready to make the next step.

@OccamsRazor

WHLer....I only see the odd game. Can't help you there.

If its his size you love we already have 6'7" Morin and 6'3" Sanheim as prospects. Not to mention we're good at D prospect-wise. It would be nice to get a bluechip forward, but best available is always the way to go. I'm really hoping to pick higher than 17th but its certainly not looking that way is it?

It would be nice to get a bluechip forward, but best available is always the way to go

I agree but i'm looking at where i think they will draft and Morin and Sanheim are both lefties....this kid can skate too and you can never have too many skating BIG men right?

Plus that would be a hell of a top 4 Morin/Sanheim Carlo/Ghost Hagg/Alt...hell of a blueline. Best guy available but Dmen are the hot commodity in the NHL teams just don't trade the good ones. They be set for the next 10 years+.

Well damn after looking at the depth of the prospects the Flyers only have Laughton and Cousins listed at center....didn't realize that they were kind of thin there so unlike the Flyers.

So with need included into the equation a center or LW would be nice too...a goaltender around the 3rd too to restock another weak spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Hanifan looks to be falling a bit with some people. Button has Marner 3rd now and Strome 4th. Draftbuzz has Marner 3rd and Hanifan 4th. I don't see Hanifan play but you can't ignore what Marner is doing. Provorov is rocketing up the charts too.

You know anything about this kid?

I watched Carlo and Werenski quite closely when they played for the USA in the WJC. Werenski is the better of the two, faster and flashier with more offensive upside...but that Carlo kid, would love to see the Flyers draft him. Like the report said, really smooth effortless stride. I think he's just about as can't miss as you can get. Even if his offense does not come around, he looks like complete package.....and I love his compete level, desperate to acquire the puck in all areas of the ice. He's 6'5 now, but could be 6'6 when it's all said and done. He skates like a guy who is 6'1...nothing awkward about him, which bodes well for the future, you hardly ever see a kid that size with his kinda dexterity....very impressive this kid.

I watched Carlo and Werenski quite closely when they played for the USA in the WJC. Werenski is the better of the two, faster and flashier with more offensive upside...but that Carlo kid, would love to see the Flyers draft him. Like the report said, really smooth effortless stride. I think he's just about as can't miss as you can get. Even if his offense does not come around, he looks like complete package.....and I love his compete level, desperate to acquire the puck in all areas of the ice. He's 6'5 now, but could be 6'6 when it's all said and done. He skates like a guy who is 6'1...nothing awkward about him, which bodes well for the future, you hardly ever see a kid that size with his kinda dexterity....very impressive this kid.

Yeah Carlo is a safe pick in the same way as Haydn Fleury was.

Well Flyers need to get in on him then if he is there, i know they have several other young prospects on the blue line already but honestly you can't really count them till they are at least part time in the NHL.

Till then you have to keep drafting till like it's a need like any other position...i won't count them till they've made it besides defensemen take longer to develop.

I believe in having as many hot pokers in the fire as you can manage.

I believe in having as many hot pokers in the fire as you can manage.

You can *never* have enough quality d-men!!  I believe Sanheim and Morin are locks...but Ghost and Hagg, they are not for sure things. Having 6'5 smooth skating Carlo could never hurt. Really like that kids upside.

You can *never* have enough quality d-men!!  I believe Sanheim and Morin are locks...but Ghost and Hagg, they are not for sure things. Having 6'5 smooth skating Carlo could never hurt. Really like that kids upside.

I'd like to see the Flyers sign this kid he could be a free agent find like Read.

D Mike Reilly 6'1'' 183lbs Shoots L Age: 21 Junior

he would make another solid prospect on a max deal.

Archived