Hextall not disappointing

CoachX

What a weird season this has been. To get right to the point, I would never root against the Flyers, but I was nearly doing just that. I was worried that if they made a playoff push, we would see the same ol song and dance, while ending up with more aging players with huge contracts. I figured if they started losing, that would leave them no choice, and force them in a "sellers" direction.

I don't know if that has happened, or if this was Hexy's plan all along, but he is really delivering. Its refreshing to see a GM do the opposite of what we have seen over, and over, and over, and over, and over and over ....(sorry! got carried away). Back to my point... the guy is doing one helluva job. These two moves have really opened things up for the future. I cannot wait to see what comes next. Im hoping for some more trades to free up space, but I'm also wondering if he may have leverage to move up in this draft. Since I don't follow the prospects, is there a number one player worth going after?

One thing I can say with certainty, the guy has me excited about the Flyers again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not been a hockey draftnik/prospect follower for some years, so this is all hearsay:

This is supposed to be the deepest draft in recent memory. There are two, maybe 3 elite talents at the top of the draft (McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin). The top 10-12 picks are supposed to be 1st line type talents. If the Flyers are going to miss the playoffs, s'posed to be a good year to do it.

I think it's a really ho-hum draft, but since it's almost never talked about on this site, it's really hard to say.

People seem to like this McEichel guy. Seems like a weird name, like some sort of Irish-German hybrid?

I thought I read that it is a really deep draft? Well I trust you more than whoever is reporting that (did I actually just say that?)

Now I feel bad that I was being a smart ###.  Well played.

No, it's supposed to be really very deep.   If they use what they have for leverage to get into the top 5, we will come out with one hell of a player.

Hextall is really playing this right. Flyers are sitting at  the 11th pick right now, but are only 4 points out of the 7th. Their first should be pretty good, Tampa looks to be on their way to a tough first-round matchup with Detroit which would make their pick decent as well. Hextall has ammo to move up if he wants, or he can sit tight and pick two players who should be real helps.

so, any reality to him possibly trying to move up to get one? If so, who is the better fit for the team?

I think the price tag to get into a top 3 spot would be prohibitive..

so, any reality to him possibly trying to move up to get one? If so, who is the better fit for the team?

the crown jewel is McDavid... the kid is going to be a franchise type player and is that good.  The kids has the skill to be the next Crosby... Eichel and Hannifan are both elite players as well.   any of them are going to be franchise players...

to get in the top 3 I think Hextall would have to pay too much...

Archived