Giordano done for the season flames likely extinguished

yave1964

1297476606178_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si Mark Giordano who has been bandied about as the likely Norris winner and who has led the upstart Flames into contention for a playoff spot is done for the season with a torn bicep tendon (ouch!).

With Giordano down and the flames not making a move to improve at the deadline, it appears that the Flames are at best fighting an uphill battle to make the postseason.

Give coach bob Hartley credit for keeping the team in the thick of things until March but this is an absolutely crushing blow to the organization.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the clock has struck 11:59 Cinderella. The guy had a shot at a Norris too.

Cinderella is still dancing!  I like their chances.

15 games left. 8 at home. 8 against non-playoff teams. Those last two against the Kings and Jets could be make or break.

@yave1964  Don't look now, but Kris Russel has been playing like a man possessed ever since Gio went down. I think he will help fill the gaping hole rather nicely. Just picked him up last night after another stellar performance, think he had 3 pts....but is playing 68% of the time on the man advantage now.

Cinderella is still dancing!  I like their chances.

15 games left. 8 at home. 8 against non-playoff teams. Those last two against the Kings and Jets could be make or break.

I've kind of got a soft spot going for them and the Jets to make the playoffs. 

I've kind of got a soft spot going for them and the Jets to make the playoffs. 

Same here, I care nothing bout them being Canadian teams, just like the way the Jets and Flames are constructed. Very nice work ethic to boot...you like to see that kinda stuff rewarded.

Archived