PK Subban Fined $3000 for Diving

ihabs1993

I really don't know what to say about this one.

Today Canadiens' defenseman PK Subban received his second diving fine of the year and I'm really not sure why.

Here is the video from the Habs-Sens that the league is fining Subban for:

http://t.co/XGDGkav5TS

I didn't even see this play happen live. I don't think anyone did. How on Earth is this a dive?

Take a look at Bobby Ryan earlier in the game:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnhl%2Feye-on-hockey%2F25105754%2Fwatch-senators-bobby-ryan-wont-win-any-awards-for-this-dive&ei=0lQMVfKRA4SvggTw5oHQDw&usg=AFQjCNEZxSb4WG34umVjxM0_jVtv9UDzxA&sig2=Yt1BbAiZE9AuPkt7PR8Tsg

Montreal was penalized for that play. Subban's "dive" didn't do anything. Not that this makes any sort of dive ok, but Ottawa actually got an odd man rush out of whatever you want to call Subban's actions.

Why did this happen?

In principle, the new diving protocol is a good idea, however I would be interested to know how the league goes about fining players. How did they even see this happen? It's nearly off the screen and in a game that was full of penalties and other dives, how does this one get called?

I know the majority of people on here think that Subban is the biggest diver in the league and that he deserves what he gets, but be honest. How does anyone get a diving penalty on a play like that?

There are players who have actually gotten diving penalties IN GAME who did receive supplemental discipline.

Subban has a target on his back and at this point it is completely unjustified. Subban has been going about playing his game and doing it cleanly and the league is punishing him for it.

You would expect Bobby Ryan to get a call today if he's getting any sort of discipline for his actions, but it wont happen.

This league continues to make very questionable decisions at the expense of its stars. Shameful.

Do you not see the dive to attempt getting a hooking penalty?  He basically pulls the stick out of the hands of the Sens player and accentuates it by falling to the ice.

Well in his defense.........He really has had many WORSE dives than that one but as hf101 noted, it was still a dive. I think the fines should be progressive in nature too. Keep doubling the fine every time you can confirm that it was a dive. That should speed up the message process for Subban and the plethora of other players in this league that watch too many soccer games.......

Do you not see the dive to attempt getting a hooking penalty?  He basically pulls the stick out of the hands of the Sens player and accentuates it by falling to the ice.

I see that, yes. But what harm did it do? He didn't draw the Sens player into taking a penalty. He didn't even get called for diving. It's an entirely insignificant play that PK is getting fined for. There are countless dives that go uncalled during the course of a season, and they decide that this one is the one that goes too far? It seems entirely ridiculous! Why hasn't Ryan been fined for his award winning dive that happened in the same game? Subban has a target on his back and the league will do anything it can to punish him. No doubt about it.

Did you guys even watch the Ryan dive? I posted it for everyone's enjoyment. How can the league penalize Subban for his actions and let Ryan do what he did without punishment? Ryan's play actually draws a penalty and is the most egregious dive I've seen all year!!!! The stick taps him on the side of the helmet, and 2 seconds later his head is thrown back like Gilbert decapitated him. On his way down, Ryan even looks back at the referee to see if a call was made!!! You guys, this is absolute madness!!!!! If you think PK's dive is worse than Ryan's, than there is no fixing this system. If this is what everyone thinks diving is, then the epidemic will continue. Ryan will continue to flop and PK will keep writing checks. Absolutely shameful.

Why hasn't Ryan been fined for his award winning dive that happened in the same game?

My guess is that the ref heard the stick hit the helmet. Hammed up for the call? You betcha but the stick still hit him in the head so the call was made. Ryan still may be fined for his embellishment and should be. I am not giving Ryan a free ride. I detest the Carcillo/Letang/Marchand/and now Ryan head flail. I still don't understand the lack of embarrassment by NHL players as a whole when they are caught  in the act.

Did you guys even watch the Ryan dive? I posted it for everyone's enjoyment. How can the league penalize Subban for his actions and let Ryan do what he did without punishment? Ryan's play actually draws a penalty and is the most egregious dive I've seen all year!!!! The stick taps him on the side of the helmet, and 2 seconds later his head is thrown back like Gilbert decapitated him. On his way down, Ryan even looks back at the referee to see if a call was made!!! You guys, this is absolute madness!!!!! If you think PK's dive is worse than Ryan's, than there is no fixing this system. If this is what everyone thinks diving is, then the epidemic will continue. Ryan will continue to flop and PK will keep writing checks. Absolutely shameful.

Ihabs, I'll agree that Ryan should have gotten the same type of treatment, but you can't absolve Subban of his because they missed one on Ryan.   Subban tucks the stick under his arm and then divesforward(against physics as a hook would have pulled him back).

To correct you though, this is actually the third time he's been called this season. You mention that he has a target on his back. Well I would say yes, with a couple of calls like that in the bank, officials are watching him.

SMH...

You know, I can see both sides of this (the dive, the no he didn't really dive)...then I see the Ryan deal, and think the same thing...

Look, I am all for 'ring generalship'...ok, ok, that's a one on one sparring term, but still.....'rink generalship' then...

but this is just getting ridiculous with players (no matter WHO they are) trying to use officials as tools (yes, tools, officials, there IS a joke in there if you look hard enough) to gain an edge over the opposition.

Is it really that bad of a thing to ask players to just play hard, compete hard, make the opponent either be faster, stronger, or a better playmaker than you are?

Do all those things and if there are penalties to be called or made in the process of all that, then so be it.

But all these players ACTIVELY looking to use the officials as much as their skating, passing, and shooting....that is very disturbing...and pathetic.

It needs to stop.

SMH...

You know, I can see both sides of this (the dive, the no he didn't really dive)...then I see the Ryan deal, and think the same thing...

Look, I am all for 'ring generalship'...ok, ok, that's a one on one sparring term, but still.....'rink generalship' then...

but this is just getting ridiculous with players (no matter WHO they are) trying to use officials as tools (yes, tools, officials, there IS a joke in there if you look hard enough) to gain an edge over the opposition.

Is it really that bad of a thing to ask players to just play hard, compete hard, make the opponent either be faster, stronger, or a better playmaker than you are?

Do all those things and if there are penalties to be called or made in the process of all that, then so be it.

But all these players ACTIVELY looking to use the officials as much as their skating, passing, and shooting....that is very disturbing...and pathetic.

It needs to stop.

Bravo TFG!

There will always be the odd dive. But its well past time to get this out of being part of a guys game. Subban has way too much talent to have to rely on diving. And he's not the only one. Keep fining and embarrassing them....they're embarrassing themselves so why not?

Archived