Hextall conference call

brelic

Apparently he had a conference call with reporters yesterday. Nothing really new, but a few things stood out:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150324_Riding_out_storm__Hextall_mum_on_possible_changes_ahead.html

Also, Laughton and Leier were on Phantoms - Breaking The Ice this week, and it would be interesting to listen. I'm not sure if there's video along with it. Does anyone know where to listen/watch Breaking the Ice?

-----------------

Hextall momentarily paused when asked if the Flyers problem is with their talent or effort or a combination of the two.

"It's hard to say," Hextall said. "I don't believe our effort has been an area where you could say we have a problem here in terms of flat-out effort. I think consistency has been our biggest issue."

"I think you see certain games and we play real well, we execute, we have good puck support, our lines work well together, our D pairs work, we move the puck quick. Then there are other games where we're just off our game. But again, I wouldn't say effort is a problem here. We've got a pretty good group of people."

Just reading between the lines, it sounds like Hextall is saying coaching is an issue without saying coaching is an issue. He seems to believe he's got the right players - it's just that the execution is off.

----------------

The GM said he is not likely to use the final eight games as an audition for young call-ups from the Phantoms. One issue is that NHL teams get four call-ups after the trade deadline and the Flyers have used two.

"You're looking and saying, OK, who has earned a call-up over the course of the year?" Hextall said. "And I think the two guys who have been up recently have in Brandon Manning and Nick Cousins, who's up right now."

Maybe there's not much to read into this, but it's still telling that he's singled out Manning and Cousins as having earned call-ups, and left out Laughton.

-----------------

Hextall said goalie Steve Mason has recovered from the illness that caused him to miss the 5-4 overtime loss in Edmonton Saturday.

Why are they being so secretive about this illness? Mumps? ;) The Richards' "Flu"?

Apparently he had a conference call with reporters yesterday. Nothing really new, but a few things stood out:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20150324_Riding_out_storm__Hextall_mum_on_possible_changes_ahead.html

Also, Laughton and Leier were on Phantoms - Breaking The Ice this week, and it would be interesting to listen. I'm not sure if there's video along with it. Does anyone know where to listen/watch Breaking the Ice?

-----------------

Hextall momentarily paused when asked if the Flyers problem is with their talent or effort or a combination of the two.

"It's hard to say," Hextall said. "I don't believe our effort has been an area where you could say we have a problem here in terms of flat-out effort. I think consistency has been our biggest issue."

"I think you see certain games and we play real well, we execute, we have good puck support, our lines work well together, our D pairs work, we move the puck quick. Then there are other games where we're just off our game. But again, I wouldn't say effort is a problem here. We've got a pretty good group of people."

Just reading between the lines, it sounds like Hextall is saying coaching is an issue without saying coaching is an issue. He seems to believe he's got the right players - it's just that the execution is off.

----------------

The GM said he is not likely to use the final eight games as an audition for young call-ups from the Phantoms. One issue is that NHL teams get four call-ups after the trade deadline and the Flyers have used two.

"You're looking and saying, OK, who has earned a call-up over the course of the year?" Hextall said. "And I think the two guys who have been up recently have in Brandon Manning and Nick Cousins, who's up right now."

Maybe there's not much to read into this, but it's still telling that he's singled out Manning and Cousins as having earned call-ups, and left out Laughton.

-----------------

Hextall said goalie Steve Mason has recovered from the illness that caused him to miss the 5-4 overtime loss in Edmonton Saturday.

Why are they being so secretive about this illness? Mumps? ;) The Richards' "Flu"?

As far as Laughton goes he has been absent from the score sheet many, many nights in fact since his return i have rarely seen anything from him but minuses...i know that isn't the only way to judge him but it's all i got since i can't watch the games.

I hope you're right! 

While I think the assumption that he's got the right players is obviously way off base, I can honestly say that I don't think he has any means of assessing his players while they're being coached by Berube.  Nothing Chief has them doing makes any sense and frankly it's a miracle they have as many wins as they do.

The fact that they've won as much as they have is purely a testament to the talent and skill of the players.  Whether a real coach can translate that into a winning and playoff qualifying team remains to be seen, but I hope we get the chance.

My staunch belief is that even if a Sutter type took over and got them into the playoffs, they're not build to win there yet, so I doubt Hextall really thinks that much of them.

All I know for sure is that this team is WAY better than they look right now.  Chief is a disaster.

As far as CONSISTENCY.... In my opinion, our best games have come against either "rivals" or other shitty teams.  We simply don't have the talent to play a strong game against most of the playoff teams.  (Yes, we recently whooped on better teams and stunk against weaker teams but that's not the norm)  

When the Flyers can bring emotion (ie Pens, Rags, etc),  they seem to be able to compete for a while against them.  But that emotion only takes them so far.  By the third period they fade away.

If this team doesn't get more talented, that "consistent effort" won't appear imo b/c the better teams will just expose us/wear us down eventually.

As far as CONSISTENCY.... In my opinion, our best games have come against either "rivals" or other shitty teams. We simply don't have the talent to play a strong game against most of the playoff teams. (Yes, we recently whooped on better teams and stunk against weaker teams but that's not the norm)

I honestly don't think we can say if it's a "talent" issue.  These guys have no idea what they're doing out there and they're not being helped or "coached" as it were into being able to help themselves.

They could be a lot better.  I honestly think the last two years have done such damage to Coots and B Schenn and possibly Laughton that I'm afraid for them.  Replacing Chief with a hockey brain is the single and UTMOST important thing this team needs to do.

Honestly, I think even VLC MacDonald and Luke Schenn will look significantly better with a different coach and I'm hoping very much Hextall sees as much.

While we're downing the Flyer's coaching,whats everybody think of Hexie's performance,you know "whats he done lately"? The only person that comes to mind,who might be able to scrounge something,remotely resembling a hockey team,from this motley bunch of scrubs,is Scottie Bowman.

@The Quigster

Hextall has to un-Holmgren the team before the "what's he done lately" comes into effect.

Some people are just going to have to get used to a gm not reacting to everything else that goes on , and just goes with their own plan.

What part of the plan was risking Mason's health?? The health care plan trying to meet the deductible?

He eliminated the only guy who had Mason's well being in mind.

Archived