Pens Fans, In all honesty, do you WANT to make the playoffs?

nossagog

yeah that would be funny...but after some digging...impossible.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins' 2015 first-round pick will go to the Edmonton Oilers as the result of a trade on January 2, 2015 that sent David Perron to Pittsburgh in exchange for Rob Klinkhammer and this pick.[15]"

the rest of the NHL can now breathe a collective sigh of relief. ;)

please tell me we didn't trade our top pick this year? I'm hoping you're joking, cause I don't remember that as part of the deal!

please tell me we didn't trade our top pick this year? I'm hoping you're joking, cause I don't remember that as part of the deal!

Ok..the Pens didn't trade their 1st round pick this year... ;)

HOWEVER.....Let me present to you Exhibit A.....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=746710

Penguins acquire Perron from Oilers for Klinkhammer

The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired forward David Perron from the Edmonton Oilers on Friday in exchange for forward Rob Klinkhammer and a first-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.

So yes...the Pens did indeed trade away their 2015 1st Round Pick.

To add further insult to injury..the Pens, in a very deep draft class this year, have traded away their 1st, 3rd and 4th rounders in 2015.

http://www.pensburgh.com/2015/3/3/8140153/pittsburgh-penguins-draft-picks-2015-nhl-trade-deadline

They still have their 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th picks.

Also they traded away their 2016 2nd round pick.

So yeah...the Pens did in fact trade away their 1st pick in 2015 and only pick once in the first 4 rounds and considering the experts are saying this is a very deep draft this year, the Pens are kinda of screwed unless they make some trades.

yeah that would be funny...but after some digging...impossible.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins' 2015 first-round pick will go to the Edmonton Oilers as the result of a trade on January 2, 2015 that sent David Perron to Pittsburgh in exchange for Rob Klinkhammer and this pick.[15]"

the rest of the NHL can now breathe a collective sigh of relief. ;)

Dangit. Forgot about that. The Oil have to be loving this.

Ok..the Pens didn't trade their 1st round pick this year... ;)

HOWEVER.....Let me present to you Exhibit A.....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=746710

Penguins acquire Perron from Oilers for Klinkhammer

The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired forward David Perron from the Edmonton Oilers on Friday in exchange for forward Rob Klinkhammer and a first-round pick in the 2015 NHL Draft.

So yes...the Pens did indeed trade away their 2015 1st Round Pick.

To add further insult to injury..the Pens, in a very deep draft class this year, have traded away their 1st, 3rd and 4th rounders in 2015.

http://www.pensburgh.com/2015/3/3/8140153/pittsburgh-penguins-draft-picks-2015-nhl-trade-deadline

They still have their 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th picks.

Also they traded away their 2016 2nd round pick.

So yeah...the Pens did in fact trade away their 1st pick in 2015 and only pick once in the first 4 rounds and considering the experts are saying this is a very deep draft this year, the Pens are kinda of screwed unless they make some trades.

They've been as bad as the Flyers trading picks away. Since Shero took over  (and was handed 1st overall Crosby/1st Fleury 2nd Malkin 2nd Staal 5th Whitney) they've managed to draft and develop.....Olli Maata. And that's about it.

They've been as bad as the Flyers trading picks away. Since Shero took over  (and was handed 1st overall Crosby/1st Fleury 2nd Malkin 2nd Staal 5th Whitney) they've managed to draft and develop.....Olli Maata. And that's about it.

Not their fault Pouliot required little development.  ;)

@B21

Pouliot is going to be good. As of yet....our first pick this year is going to be good, but I'm not counting chickens yet.

But you also got him by trading 2nd overall pick Jordan Staal (could have had Toews...ouch). 

@B21

Pouliot is going to be good. As of yet....our first pick this year is going to be good, but I'm not counting chickens yet.

But you also got him by trading 2nd overall pick Jordan Staal (could have had Toews...ouch). 

Got Dumoulin and Sutter, too.  ;)

Toews is overrated.  ;)

@B21

Ya, and you guys drafted Angelo Esposito too. He should be breaking out any day now.

Marian Hossa says hello.  ;)

Good teams making runs trade picks. Happens all the time.  Hindsight is 20/20. Now bad teams who think they are making runs trading picks....

@B21

The reason we're in the situation we're in is because of all the picks Holmgren traded away. 

The reason you're in the situation you're in is the same

. Hossas a good player. He's not on the Pens. 

@B21

The reason we're in the situation we're in is because of all the picks Holmgren traded away. 

. Hossas a good player. He's not on the Pens. 

What situation is that? Perennial playoff team and Cup contender?

And if you want to point to this season, trading those picks has nothing to do with the Pens being dangerously close to missing the playoffs.

@B21

Hossa's a good player. He's not on the Pens. 

You had to know this was coming....  ;) 

I only went back to 2008 but the Pens "history" of trading away picks is not nearly as "bad" as you are making it out to be (assuming trading picks for "now" players to improve a team for a playoff run is "bad"). Notables:

2016. Trade 2nd for Winnick. That draft is a year away and a lot can happen between now and then.  

2015. Not "good". 1st for Perron. 4th and the aforementioned 2016 2nd for Winnick. 3rd for Goc from 2014.

2014. 2nd for Murray. 3rd for Stempniak. 5th for Goc. Got back a 5th for Lovejoy. Used the 1st on Kasperi Kapanen who could be called up (hopefully) for the playoffs.

2013. 1st for Iginla. Another 2nd for Murray. 5th for Brandon Morrow. HOWEVER - the added a 2nd (Tyler Kennedy), 3rd (Joe Morrow - part of the Morrow for Morrow deal) and a 6th (Tangradi)

2012. 7th for Vokoun.  Added a 1st (Staal) and a 4th (Letestu).  Also added a 3rd but I lost track of who for.

2011. 3rd for the rights to Hamhuis (you bastard). 4th for ???. 7th for Kovalev but added a 7th as well.

2010. 2nd for Jordan Leopold.

2009. 2nd for Bill Guerin.

2008. 1st for Hossa (and Dupuis). 2nd for Hal Gil. 3rd for Laraque (via a few other deals).

The Murray and Morrow deals in 2013 help to make your argument but they added a 2nd and 3rd as well.  2014 - "bad". Agree. But - they still kept their 1st and added a forward who could be called up should they make the playoffs.  2015? I'd still do the Perron and Winnick deals. The Goc trade ended up in the "bad" column.

So they missed on a few. They hit on a lot more.

Another way of looking at it.  2008 through 2016 are 9 drafts. Here are the picks the Pens have made.

1st - 7 of 9

2nd - 5 of 9

3rd - 6 of 9

4th - 9 of 9

5th - 9 of 9

6th - 11 of 9

7th - 6 of 9

For a team in the hunt every year, I can't get to upset over this.

@B21

Shero was a decent GM.

especially wIth the trades and cap structure.  I'm not sure how Pgh is set up and who is charge of the minor leagues and the player development.  

That is an area that could use some extra attention.

To my limited knowledge I haven't seen a lot of NHL players make the transition from Wilkes Barre/Scranton to the bigs. there are guys that get called up but they don't stick, get traded there doesn't seem to be a lot of forward talent outside of the Kaepenan kid and he's not with the baby pens .  I know from the Flyer experience it is nice to have a couple of guys that can fill in and maybe push for an NHL roster spot on the AHL roster,  this is the first year in i don't know how many where our call ups actually contributed.

Your GMs are right to try to maximize the Crosby Malkin Letang Fluery window.  sometimes things can work out and other times they don't  I think the Phillies are pretty good comparison to the Pens situation.  The Phils had a core that could and did win a championship and were damn close 2 other times.  If you believe in those core players you have to try to fill in around them and give them the best shot.  the problem is if you miss like the Phillies and hang on to that core group too long like the Phillies, then you're well and truly ****ed.  the Pens IMO are close to the window closing with empty cupboards 2 more years of going for it could really hurt the future. 

@mojo1917

You hit the nail on the head.  The Pens need to maximize every opportunity while Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Co. are still in their primes.  That's about 4-5 more seasons.  

You are also spot on about the lack of depth at the forward spot but there is a reason for that i/m/h/o.  If you figure it takes 2 to 4 years to develop a player depending on several factors (fair?) then the players taken in 2010, 2011 and 2012 should just now be hitting the NHL...at least your 1st and maybe 2nd round picks.  Anything later than that is gravy.  For the Pens, that is (was) Beau Bennett, Scott Harrington, Joe Morrow, Maatta and Pouliot.  The jury is still out on Beau. Morrow was dealt. Maatta and Pouliot are here and proving more than capable. Harrington - by all accounts - is more than ready and remains in the AHL due to the depth at the NHL level at the moment.  Common denominator? 4 of 5 play D.  Unfortunately - but not at all unique to the Pens - is that they haven't hit on any forwards in the later rounds in those drafts.  Maybe Oskar Sundqvist (3rd/2012) next season? Not a stretch. 

If you go back further - you have Depres (1st in 2009).  You also have Agostino (4th/2010) and Hanowski (3rd/2009) who were dealt for Iginla.  No - the Pens didn't develop them but they helped a contender add a big time scoring winger in the midst of a Cup run (Pens got to the ECF the year of that trade).  Sometimes it's not always how well you develop a player but what you do with that player as far as improving the NHL roster. That's a move teams like the Pens make all the time.  Ditto all they gave up for Hossa.

Players drafted by the Pens on the current roster:

Crosby

Malkin

Fleury

Letang

Pouliot

Maatta

Bennett

Scuderi & Lovejoy*  ;)

Others they drafted (and maybe developed) but traded for a player on the current roster:

Ryan Whitney (1st round - traded for Kunitz)

Tyler Kennedy (4th round -  and traded for a 2nd)

Alex Goligoski (2nd round - traded for Neal and Niskanen; Neal traded for Hornqvist and Spaling)

Jordan Staal (1st round - traded for Sutter, Dumoulin and the pick that became Pouliot)

Bortuzzo (3rd round - traded for Cole)

Philip Samuelsson (2nd - traded for Klinkhammer who was traded for Lapierre)

Depres (traded for Lovejoy)

What do I care if a player is drafted and developed or traded for a comparable or even better player? Especially if it's break even (or better) as far as the cap?

At the end of the day - I really have no issue with how the roster has been constructed.  Sure - it sucks having 1 pick in the first 4 rounds in a loaded draft but the Pens don't have the luxury of waiting 2-4 years for talent to develop...especially as the core ages.

To answer the topics question! Yes I would like to see the Pens make the playoffs only to have a lower seed in the draft. Also, in my opinion, I believe they will embarrass themselves while they are in the post season (I hope to win the cup). On embarrassing themselves, I hope it would wake up management!

Archived