Grading the Timonen trade

@Polaris922

@B21

First. The hindsight is always 20/20. But it's still early.

Second. When it will matter the most is the playoffs.

Third. What @Podein25 said. Timonen's main contribution is what he brings in the locker room, on the bench, and off the ice in terms of leadership & mentorship. Even if he does nothing on the ice (and as long as he is healthy enough to play he *will* give Chicago more than nothing), the intengibles he brings are unquantifiable.

Fourth. As a Flyers fan, I liked the trade then and I like the trade even more now. What we got back is a terrific return. No complaints here. But I don't know if I can say RIGHT NOW that Chicago got ripped. Call it a calculated risk if you will. Teams do this type of trades at trade deadlines all the time. Not sure what is so surprising about this. I can see why they did it.

On a team that needs an aging mentor I might agree he could be useful OFF the ice. But this is the Hawks. They've won a couple if Cups just fine with the vets they have. Toews, Seabrook, Keith... Those guys aren't learning anything from Timonen at this stage. They already have more experience winning than he does.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mad Dog

What Polaris922 said.  This is the Hawks with Jesus Toews as their captain not to mention a whole slew of other veterans.  You don't trade a 2nd+ for "leadership" and "mentorship" you don't need (especially on D).

I don't think Chicago got ripped.  Just that they gave up two much.  He's getting minimal minutes as a 3rd pairing defenseman and hasn't sniffed special teams in a while. Me thinks they were expecting more.

Edit: Hindsight isn't 20/20 when this is what were had been saying all along. ;) Risky trade that hasn't panned out yet and doesn't look like it will.

I don't see how anyone can draw a conclusion on this trade until the Hawks season is over and we all see how Kimo contributed to any success the Hawks might have had. I totally expected him to start out VERY rusty, when 40 yr old man miss all of camp and most of the season, the results are predictable. Let's just wait and see if Kimo can get healthy first and foremost....cause if he can play, he will make a difference once the playoffs start. He's got so much experience, he's so willing to sacrfice his body for the greater good....there is a real chance Kimo can still make this a fair trade. Kimo was added to supply experience and smarts from the back end....he can still do that.....let's just wait and see before declaring the Hawks as having lost.

I don't see how anyone can draw a conclusion on this trade until the Hawks season is over and we all see how Kimo contributed to any success the Hawks might have had. I totally expected him to start out VERY rusty, when 40 yr old men miss all of camp and most of the season, the results are predictable. Let's just wait and see if Kimo can get healthy first and foremost....cause if he can play, he will make a difference once the playoffs start. He's got so much experience, he's so willing to sacrfice his body for the greater good....there is a real chance Kimo can still make this a fair trade. Kimo was added to supply experience and smarts from the back end....he can still do that.....let's just wait and see before declaring the Hawks as having lost.

The problem is he's gotten worse as time goes by, not better. And now hurt again.

We all know the playoffs change things, so we'll all get a chance to see. But unless his ice time vastly improves it'll be wins DESPITE Timonen rather than BECAUSE Timonen.

Hence my congratulating the dreaded Hextallian on a job well done.

@Polaris922  The Hawks will play multiple series unless something shocking happens....plenty of time for Kimo to get healthy and contribute. If the Hawks suffer a few defensive injuries, then the Kimo acquisition goes from being a luxury to total necessity.

@Polaris922

For what it is worth.  Timonen suffered a groin strain in the very first game he played.  And he has slowly recovered from it.  Thus he didn't get the start he wanted.   I  think both the Blackhawks and Timonen know that he can help this team.  

Then to get injured again, probably set the progress backwards.

@Polaris922

For what it is worth. Timonen suffered a groin strain in the very first game he played. And he has slowly recovered from it. Thus he didn't get the start he wanted. I think both the Blackhawks and Timonen know that he can help this team.

Again... His ice time dropped as time went by, not increased. Lost all special teams time in revent games, not early ones. One of those guys that should've retired instead of forcing a few more games. But it helped the Flyers that he didn't.

You can never have enough veteran defensemen for the long playoff haul. I'd rather have Kimo coming in that the 3rd call up from the AHL, who would be guaranteed to get burned almost every time on the ice. I remember the Conference final between TB and the Flyers, we lost 3 regular defensemen and WHAM....that series was over....we just could not overcome the loss of the regular d-men. As good as Sami Kapanen was as a forward turned d-man....in the playoffs, that does not cut the mustard.

I'd say giving up a second rounder for a legit contender to add depth and skill to the back end is well worth the cost. If Duncan Kieth or Seabrooke went down, Kimo could step up and provide some nice depth as a pp qb....that kind of skill set is hard to come by.

You can never have enough veteran defensemen for the long playoff haul. I'd rather have Kimo coming in that the 3rd call up from the AHL, who would be guaranteed to get burned almost every time on the ice. I remember the Conference final between TB and the Flyers, we lost 3 regular defensemen and WHAM....that series was over....we just could not overcome the loss of the regular d-men. As good as Sami Kapanen was as a forward turned d-man....in the playoffs, that does not cut the mustard.

I'd say giving up a second rounder for a legit contender to add depth and skill to the back end is well worth the cost. If Duncan Kieth or Seabrooke went down, Kimo could step up and provide some nice depth as a pp qb....that kind of skill set is hard to come by.

If Timonen still provided a skill set I would agree. He looks bad bud... Real bad. I can only figure their cap space doesn't allow for a call up or you'd see Timonen a healthy scratch by now. Love the loyalty some are showing but in terms of pure player, he's worse than guys your fanbase here is screaming to be rid of.

I'd venture to guess that more deadline acquisitions flame out than positively contribute to team success.

Case in point......Holland gambled and lost with the deadline piece.....even when Cole was healthy, he played an uninspired brand of hockey.....no jump in his step, just a talented guy basically going through the motions, on the ice with other top 6 players which helped him compile some stats....I believe Babber would have benched Cole had his spinal cord not got messed up.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2015/04/08/detroit-red-wings-erik-cole/25468711/

The Hawks will play multiple series unless something shocking happens....

Not so fast. ;)  Right now, they would start on the road against Nashville. Maybe St. Louis depending on how thinks shake out.  It's similar to when the Pens and Flyers had the 4th and 5th highest point totals in the league and met in the 1st round but still...it would not be shocking at all for the Hawks to be 1 and done based on the likely opponents.

@Polaris922

For what it is worth.  Timonen suffered a groin strain in the very first game he played.  And he has slowly recovered from it.  Thus he didn't get the start he wanted.   I  think both the Blackhawks and Timonen know that he can help this team.  

So a 40 year old coming off a year-long layoff has been injured not once but twice in 16 games? Isn't that just another reason not to trade for a 40 year old coming off a year-long layoff?

Not so fast. ;)  Right now, they would start on the road against Nashville. Maybe St. Louis depending on how thinks shake out.  It's similar to when the Pens and Flyers had the 4th and 5th highest point totals in the league and met in the 1st round but still...it would not be shocking at all for the Hawks to be 1 and done based on the likely opponents.

I still think if they draw St. Louis it will be a sleepwalk for them.  I have zero faith in the Blues.   They'll find a way to screw up the playoffs. 

Nashville would prove to be an interesting series, I think.

Makes perfect sense.  Just not for a 2nd+ for something that might (not) happen. Keith and Seabrook have combined to miss a total of just 17 games between them in the last 5 seasons.

I still think if they draw St. Louis it will be a sleepwalk for them.  I have zero faith in the Blues.   They'll find a way to screw up the playoffs. 

Nashville would prove to be an interesting series, I think.

That Blues are due at some point? Right? :-)  Oh wait - they jettisoned Ryan Miller.  Nevermind.

So a 40 year old coming off a year-long layoff has been injured not once but twice in 16 games? Isn't that just another reason not to trade for a 40 year old coming off a year-long layoff?

Among many.

I'm not trying to beat up on the guy.   He was a very good player and great guy, and I appreciate his time with the Flyers.   But he really should not have come back.  And I haven't the foggiest idea what the Hawks were thinking about trading for him, let alone what they gave up for him.   It was Homeresque.

That Blues are due at some point? Right? :-)  Oh wait - they jettisoned Ryan Miller.  Nevermind.

LMAO.  In all seriousness, that was exactly how they found a way to screw up last year.  I don't really mean that as a slight on Miller, either.  But the whole goalie shakeup thing at the deadline was a miserable and unnecessary mistake.  An unforced error, if you will.

Among many.

I'm not trying to beat up on the guy.   He was a very good player and great guy, and I appreciate his time with the Flyers.   But he really should not have come back.  And I haven't the foggiest idea what the Hawks were thinking about trading for him, let alone what they gave up for him.   It was Homeresque.

Neither are Polaris and I.  I just don't see why it's so hard to distinguish between the guy now and the guy 3-4 years ago.  Saying he's not worth a 2nd+ now has absolutely nothing to do with the career he's had.  

LMAO.  In all seriousness, that was exactly how they found a way to screw up last year.  I don't really mean that as a slight on Miller, either.  But the whole goalie shakeup thing at the deadline was a miserable and unnecessary mistake.  An unforced error, if you will.

Kinda like Depres for Lovejoy.  :ph34r:

Neither are Polaris and I.  I just don't see why it's so hard to distinguish between the guy now and the guy 3-4 years ago.  Saying he's not worth a 2nd+ now has absolutely nothing to do with the career he's had.  

Probably worth saying but, to me at least, you guys aren't coming across that you are.

Archived