Grading the Timonen trade

Make of it what you will, but in 16 games, Timonen has two stats...

Minus 3

2 PIM

Hes their 6th defenseman.

He's averaging 12 minutes of ice time on a team where the #5 defenseman is averaging 19...

Verdict is in. Horrible trade for Chicago. Big win for Hextall. For those evaluating Hextall's performance this season this has to go down as a big plus.

Chicago would've been better off bringing up some prospects for ice time.

Timonen is now injured again.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This wasn't foreseeable at all....  .....

We all LOVED kimmo when he was a Flyer.  Make fun of us as much as you want, but he WAS a warrior for us.

But really, no training camp, 40yrs old, etc. etc.  

As long as he actually got SOMETHING for him, there was really no way for Hextall to LOSE this trade.  Even if Chicago wins the cup or goes far... it helps us too!  (conditional pick)

I don't think anybody (with an average or above IQ) has much negative to say about Hexy's job so far at all.   Signing Ryan White, and Del zotto were both great moves. 

There's just not much else he can do for us at the moment because of the asshattery he inherited from Homer.  

If he finally cans Berube this spring... I don't know what else he could possibly do to please the fans.

Minus 3

2 PIM

He's averaging 12 minutes of ice time on a team where the #5 defenseman is averaging 19...

Verdict is in. Horrible trade for Chicago. Big win for Hextall. For those evaluating Hextall's performance this season this has to go down as a big plus.

I bet you punch nuns on your spare time eh?

You might actually be right about the trade but it's too soon to tell. If he doesn't help them win any playoff games, then sure.

Timo ain't done yet. If the Hawks go deep in the playoffs he will play some important minutes for them. He's a gladiator. However, Hexy should have made the same type of move with Grossmann and Streit. They will be long gone before the retooling is complete.

Timo ain't done yet. If the Hawks go deep in the playoffs he will play some important minutes for them. He's a gladiator. However, Hexy should have made the same type of move with Grossmann and Streit. They will be long gone before the retooling is complYou

1)  You're assuming that somebody WANTED Grossman....  that's a big assumption.

2)  Re: Streit...  MDZ is our only other dman with even a drop of skill.   MDZ has his own career to resurrect...  I don't think we need him mentoring our young dmen coming up.  Unless someone was going to give us a crazy deal for Streit, I have zero issue with keeping him. 

@Podein25

Just an observation applauding Hextall (whom I despise by the way) for ripping off the Hawks. I'd assume the Hawks knew Timonen was retiring after the season and did it anyway, which is even worse from the Chicago side.

I admit a little of me just wants to point out being correct because I'm human too ;). But in all honesty, unless Timonen puts up consistently good playoff numbers (which he won't), the Hawks got fleeced. Kudos to Hextall.

But in all honesty, unless Timonen puts up consistently good playoff numbers (which he won't), the Hawks got fleeced. 

Cheers, but this is where you get it wrong. He just has to help them win hockey games. He can do so in all kinds of ways, some of which may not even take place on the ice itself. If all he does is solidify things a bit back there and just make good, smart plays  - of the kind he has made his entire career - then he might be worth it. 

Timo ain't done yet. If the Hawks go deep in the playoffs he will play some important minutes for them. He's a gladiator. However, Hexy should have made the same type of move with Grossmann and Streit. They will be long gone before the retooling is complete.

Important minutes where? For the record, Colaiacovo got 15 minutes in your last game as your #6.

Back to the point... Hextall gets an A+ on this one, especially knowing the fan base's love for Timonen makes it tougher to trade him.

Cheers, but this is where you get it wrong. He just has to help them win hockey games. He can do so in all kinds of ways, some of which may not even take place on the ice itself. If all he does is solidify things a bit back there and just make good, smart plays - of the kind he has made his entire career - then he might be worth it.

I'd watch some Hawks games if you can. I don't think the Hawks brought him in as a veteran presence when a everyone on their squad has more Cup experience and their leaders are who they are.

I'm starting to think this was some kind if sacrifice on Chicago's part trying to help Timonen get a shot at a Cup as some back door debt with someone in Philly.

I'd watch some Hawks games if you can. I don't think the Hawks brought him in as a veteran presence when a everyone on their squad has more Cup experience and their leaders are who they are. 

I'm starting to think this was some kind if sacrifice on Chicago's part trying to help Timonen get a shot at a Cup as some back door debt with someone in Philly. 

Ok, I will try and catch some CHI games - if he's playing. I'm sure he will see action in the playoffs.

They felt bad about Patrick Sharp (getting him for nothing) and Patrick Kane (getting a goal for nothing and also for JVR).

So they took the banged up geriatric off our hands and gave us absurdly high compensation for him.

Fleeced is accurate.

I'd venture to guess that more deadline acquisitions flame out than positively contribute to team success.

As the forum's resident Finnophile and a Timonen fan since before he was a Flyer, I'm happy with the return on an asset which was spent in Philadelphia.

If I was a Blackhawks fan I wouldn't have liked the deal in the first place.

Patrick Sharp for Matt Ellison :-((((   

They certainly owe us for that one!

Oh poop... rux beat me to it.

Minus 3

2 PIM

I give it a A+ so far i'm happy....its all i care about.

Minus 3

2 PIM

Well, it was never going to be anything but a huge win for Hextall. He got something for nothing. Literally. It was a player that no longer played in Philly and was never going to play again in Philly. Hextall sold a pipe dream, and someone bought it.

It could have been a win for Chicago if Timonen came back and exceeded expectations. It still could be if he makes any kind of mark in the playoffs.

But chances were slim that he would make a difference. How slim? Would you accept a 20% chance that Timonen came in to Chicago and made a difference?

If so, that's what we got too. A draft pick that has a 20% of playing 150 games or more in the NHL.

Minus 3

2 PIM

I won't disagree that the Flyers won on this trade. They certainly did. But I'm not so sure the Hawks got fleeced either. I don't think they were expecting to get a #1 or 2 d-man. They did get an experienced d-man with the confidence to play in all situations who can be relied on to eat big minutes, if needed. and he doesn't have the whole regular season of wear & tear on him. If the Hawks lose a d-man to injury in the playoffs, Kimmo can fill the void. I think the Hawks got just what they expected...a confident, experienced, fresh, depth defenseman.

I won't disagree that the Flyers won on this trade. They certainly did. But I'm not so sure the Hawks got fleeced either. I don't think they were expecting to get a #1 or 2 d-man. They did get an experienced d-man with the confidence to play in all situations who can be relied on to eat big minutes, if needed. and he doesn't have the whole regular season of wear & tear on him. If the Hawks lose a d-man to injury in the playoffs, Kimmo can fill the void. I think the Hawks got just what they expected...a confident, experienced, fresh, depth defenseman.

I think they got far less than expected considering what they gave for him. I'm thinking they expected a 3/4 defenseman with fresh (albeit older) legs that would come rested once up to speed. Everything you say about him reflects what he USED to be able to do. None of which can he do anymore.

My entire reason for posting this was it was a debate at the time with some fans thinking this was a good deal for both teams. Several of us were called haters just for implying he would not be of much value to the Hawks.

To be honest, he's been worse than I thought. And it worries me if Hextall can pull these kind of deals off with any regularity.

The Coburn/Gudas thing won't mean anything to either squad, as neither is better than the other overall. But if Hextall can unload some if your cap heavies like this trade then you'll have bright days ahead... And I don't want that. ;). Lol

His presence will be felt in the playoffs, if not on the scoreboard than off. All he needs to do is score one goal at the right time and Chicago will feel they got their moneys worth.

That's crazy talk there. One goal worth that trade? Come on... Unless it's a Cup winner in overtime of the deciding game I don't think so.

That's crazy talk there. One goal worth that trade? Come on... Unless it's a Cup winner in overtime of the deciding game I don't think so.

at the right time being the key  :rolleyes:   A game winner at some point, doesn't have to be OT cup winner.

@Polaris922

All the credit in the world to the guy for coming back but he wasn't worth what the Hawks gave up. Minimal minutes as a 6th defenseman. 30 seconds on the PK and about 7:00 on the PP in 16 games and I don't think he's had any PP time in the last 5-6 games.  I think the Hawks were expecting more.

Aaaaaaagain - great he came back.  At this stage of his career, not worth the picks.

(Maybe something happens in the playoffs to justify the trade but that's a big maybe.)

@Polaris922

@B21

First.  The hindsight is always 20/20. But it's still early.

Second.  When it will matter the most is the playoffs.

Third.  What @Podein25 said.  Timonen's main contribution is what he brings in the locker room, on the bench, and off the ice in terms of leadership & mentorship.  Even if he does nothing on the ice (and as long as he is healthy enough to play he *will* give Chicago more than nothing), the intengibles he brings are unquantifiable.

Fourth.  As a Flyers fan, I liked the trade then and I like the trade even more now.  What we got back is a terrific return. No complaints here.  But I don't know if I can say RIGHT NOW that Chicago got ripped.  Call it a calculated risk if you will.  Teams do this type of trades at trade deadlines all the time.  Not sure what is so surprising about this. I can see why they did it.

Archived