Hobey Baker Finalist - Zach Hyman - will not sign with Panthers

hf101

Zach-Hyman-2-e1412628457986.jpg

Michigan Senior Zach Hyman was drafted in the 5th round of the 2010 draft and has informed the Panthers that he will not be signing an entry level contract with the club.  Hyman may be able  choose his own fate this summer as he will become a FA on August 16, however Florida may choose his rights prior to that.  Apparently top point scoring D-man Michael Reilly of the Gophers may also await the Aug 16th deadline as he also hasn't signed with the Blue Jackets.

Hyman had a solid year at Michigan scoring 54 points in 37 games.

I think this is a trend that will continue as top NCAA players wish to decide which team they play for by staying in school through their junior year.  Kevin Hayes signed with the Rangers last year as  well as Justin Schultz signed with the Oilers the year before.

yeah i saw that. Kind of becoming a trend.

Chicago's Kevin Hayes is having a great season in NYR on the third line and Chicago is probably kicking themselves for letting him go as they now need a 2nd line center and are in cap hell. he left because it was unlikely they would have a spot for him and now they do.

Not sure how to feel about this...  a) it's not illegal... and these guys aren't slaves.... but b)  I don't like that it's becoming a trend.

1) I can see teams shying away from late-round NCAA players... anybody that isn't a sure thing to leave school might be seen as a large risk.

2) The CBA will have to address this at some point.

1) I can see teams shying away from late-round NCAA players... anybody that isn't a sure thing to leave school might be seen as a large risk.

I would think that the early round draft picks would be more of an issue for those that stay in school and bolt to another organization after 3 years.  But this is really less trouble than drafting Europeans who have to be signed after 2 years.

I would think that the early round draft picks would be more of an issue for those that stay in school and bolt to another organization after 3 years.  But this is really less trouble than drafting Europeans who have to be signed after 2 years.

I'm not sure about that.... it would be the later round guys that may not have blossomed yet, or not earned a contract yet??

The higher draft picks would probably more likely to be given a roster spot/contract right off the bat no?

I'm not sure about that.... it would be the later round guys that may not have blossomed yet, or not earned a contract yet??

The higher draft picks would probably more likely to be given a roster spot/contract right off the bat no?

That probably is ideal, but an NCAA player can't sign an ELC until they choose to leave college.  It isn't like Juniors  where a player is signed and the NHL team can send them back.  So I think most NCAA players are not signed until they are 20 so they can be placed in the AHL.  Top players who believe they can play right away in the NHL might just opt to hold out to find the best organization to fit their goals

Those players say age 19 I believe tend to stay in the NCAA unless the NHL team is ready to place them on the roster.  By the time they are 20 they are generally starting their 3rd year if they play that whole season they can choose to not sign an ELC and become a FA.

I'm thinking here of some top Collegiate players  Bjugstad for example - http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/2012/07/will-florida-get-its-gopher-nick-bjugstad-to-make-decision-gophers-or-flapanthers-soon.html  who may have signed out of his sophmore season, but so many of them sign after their junior year.

I think the bigger issue is with European players that have to sign an ELC after two years or they become a FA.

Well... I think it continues to benefit the CHL/Canadian Kids, so I don't mind TOO much ;-ppp.... 

Yep, I get that.

One way the NHL can solve the whole draft, when to sign an ELC, gap to the AHL - issue - is to not draft players until they are 19.  At the same time lower the age of the AHL to 19 for drafted players and 20 if not drafted.  Players that need more time for development could than spend more time in Juniors and College.

@hf101

Then guys like McDavid (rare cases certainly) have to play another year they could have played in the NHL. And when does the league forgo an entire draft to let this happen? 

It would make drafting less of a crapshoot. But then thats just helping the lousy drafting teams.

@hf101

Then guys like McDavid (rare cases certainly) have to play another year they could have played in the NHL. And when does the league forgo an entire draft to let this happen? 

It would make drafting less of a crapshoot. But then thats just helping the lousy drafting teams.

I haven't completely thought this through, but I would think the league would need a year to work it through a change.  

Maybe change the age eligibility the first year  to 18.5 by Sept 15th and the 2nd year to 19.    Surely some kids will miss out by their birthdays for a half a year, but really in the long run only a few might be playing in the NHL that first year anyway.

@hf101

Hey could have an "exceptional player" rule just like the CHL does for 15 yr old players.

Zach-Hyman-2-e1412628457986.jpg

Michigan Senior Zach Hyman was drafted in the 5th round of the 2010 draft and has informed the Panthers that he will not be signing an entry level contract with the club.  Hyman may be able  choose his own fate this summer as he will become a FA on August 16, however Florida may choose his rights prior to that.  Apparently top point scoring D-man Michael Reilly of the Gophers may also await the Aug 16th deadline as he also hasn't signed with the Blue Jackets.

Hyman had a solid year at Michigan scoring 54 points in 37 games.

I think this is a trend that will continue as top NCAA players wish to decide which team they play for by staying in school through their junior year.  Kevin Hayes signed with the Rangers last year as  well as Justin Schultz signed with the Oilers the year before.

they could get his rights back then trade him! Similar to what the Nordiques did with Lindros!

NHL teams are going to have to do their due diligence before drafting NCAA players. This trend of players not signing and becoming Free Agents, it is disturbing. The answer, I believe lies with the NCAA itself. They have to move on this players can't be pros thing. I get that they don't want players getting money from NHL teams while they are considered amateurs, but how about a compromise. Alllow players to sign a pro contract, but the money is frozen in a specific account until they graduate. This protects the NHL team and gives the NCCA their amateur mandate. If the NCAA does not move on this, they risk more and more players going to the CHL, or equally as bad, their players being ignored by the NHL.

Archived