Daniel Carcillo - Why the NHL Community Needs to Look out for Its Own

hf101

One night on the road, I started writing down my thoughts on Hilton hotel notepads. Why do NHL players struggle so much with moving on from the game? Why are so many former players I know battling depression? Why does the hockey community ignore them when they’re gone? And why can’t we create a more concrete program to help them transition into real life?

I must have filled up 20 notepad pages. Then, I thought of a memory of Steve lathering himself up with Flexall gel after a pre-game workout and running into the locker room in his underwear. Anything to get a laugh. Anything to make other people happy. That was Steve. I started to laugh. I started to break down.

Finally, I decided to sit down in front of a camera and try to explain why we can’t lose another Steve Montador

Hard not to think of Dan Carcillo in a different light after that.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/nhl-daniel-carcillo-steve-montador-video/

Really hits hard to hear a tough guy like Carcillo talk like that. We all think these guys have it made, then you hear stories like this.

At least they're taking concussions more seriously now. But team docs better start thinking twice about handing out pills. And I still say Vegas is a bad idea.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd post this link about a new program the NHLPA has initiated for its players.  

The National Hockey League Players' Association is finalizing plans on a watershed program to help current players return to school and prepare them for a multitude of issues they will face in transitioning from playing careers to retirement.

"What we are trying to do is create a program that would encourage guys to go back to school and take courses during the year, whether it's high school that they haven't finished, or college courses," said Schneider, adding that players spend parts of nine months every year on the road. "Guys aren't given the tools.

The NHL and NHLPA have each pledged close to $1.5 million over the next three years to the pilot project, though it's unclear how much of the collective $3 million will go to pay for tuition and other fees at colleges, universities and trade schools.

The NHLPA hopes to begin the ambitious program this fall with at least 60 active players, two from each NHL club. The union envisions players using their downtime, like the many hours spent in hotel rooms between games, to study for online or correspondence courses.

In time, the NHLPA wants to expand the program to include retired NHL players.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhlpa-readies-3m-back-to-school-program-1.303734

Archived