All-Time Chicago Blackhawks Team

ScottM

chicago-blackhawks-logo.jpg

Part five in the series brings us to the Windy City. The Blackhawks are an interesting case since even though they're an original six team, I considered or chose several members of the current roster for this squad. True, there were a couple of current Bruins on my all-time Boston team, but the current Chicago roster made a much bigger impression on me when making this list. I don't really think that's surprising considering that 40% of their Stanley Cup titles have come in the last five years, and that the last several years have been generally the most successful period in the team's history. Let's take a look at the lineup.

First Line: Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Bill Mosienko

Second Line: Doug Bentley, Denis Savard, Tony Amonte

Third Line: Roy Conacher, Max Bentley, Steve Larmer

Fourth Line: Dennis Hull, Johnathan Toews, Patrick Kane

First Defensive Pair: Pierre Pilote, Chris Chelios

Second Defensive Pair: Doug Wilson, Duncan Keith

Third Defensive Pair: Earl Seibert, Bill White

Goaltenders: Tony Esposito, Glenn Hall, Charlie Gardiner

Coach: Joel Quenneville

The Blackhawks' historical depth at defense is rather impressive in my opinion. Goalie was the toughest position to rank. It wasn't an easy call to leave Eddie the Eagle off of the roster, but the fact that the Blackhawks can put up a goalie trio than can even come close to rivaling that of the Habs shows that there was some competition for the spot. Gardiner goes a long way back, and tragically died at a young age, but what he accomplished in such a short career made it impossible for me to leave him off of the team. It was very similar to my choosing Durnan for the all-time Montreal team.

So, what did I do right and what did I do wrong in your opinion?

Among defenseman that won more than 1 Norris, Pierre pilote seems to fade into obscurity. Not alot of people even know he won one let alone three (I myself just found out not too long ago that he won three Norris trophies, thanks to your top ten dman list @Scott), Quite impressive. I have always wondered why Pilote has been left out on the majority top ten defenseman lists i have seen. Because every single list I have seen has players that won 3 or more Norris trophies in their top ten 

The only possibilities that I can think of as to why he's ignored is that he was basically sandwiched in between Doug Harvey and Bobby Orr and that he may now be overshadowed by Hull and Mikita when people think about the Blackhawks in the 60's. His three Norris Trophies came immediately after Harvey's run of seven in eight years and there were only two seasons between his last and Orr's first. Also, at the same time he was the top defenseman in the league, Hull and Mikita were winning Art Ross and Hart Trophies. I don't think either of those are good reasons at all for him to be forgotten, but I suspect that they probably have a lot to do with it.

As for the list, i don't think i have a right to criticize it, as I do not know much about the old Blackhawks teams besides the fact that Hull and Mikita were the best players of the 60s. It must have been really dissapointing they could only win 1 cup having the two best forwards in the world, kinda similiar to the Penguins situation with Crosby and Malkin....

@ScottM

Another reason I feel that Pilote is largely forgotten is Chicago won only one cup during his tenure, and that was universally considered the Glenn Hall and Bobby Hull cup, like they were the only two players on the team. Larger than life personalities, Hall for disliking the game and always talking of retiring and Hull for his blonde locks and huge smile. A quiet unassuming Pilote simply was not good copy. Even Stan Mikita who put up eye popping career numbers is largely forgotten, pushed aside by the other two. Pilote was the number four guy on a team that only won a single cup. He was not an offensive force in an era before Orr redefined the blue line, just a steady defender who when Orr and then Potvin and Robinson and Bourque and the rest redefined the role of what a d-man should be. Looking at him statistically now, his typical 7 goals, 30 or 35 assist seasons do not look like much. But they were, he routinely was among the leading scorers on the back end in his day, it is just the game had not evolved into what it is now. If he had a more progressive coach, a superstar a bit less selfish than Hull demanding the puck, it is possible that Pilote might have been remembered more for his role than he is today.

• 2 weeks later...

@ScottM  I put Glenn Hall ahead of Tony Esposito for a few reasons. First and foremost, Hall backstopped the Hawks to a Stanley Cup championship in 1961. Secondly, Hall's stats stayed elite through his career.....where Tony O's stats dipped to embarrassingly high numbers at the back end of his career. It's tough to compare, cause when Tony O was finishing up, the style of play changed significantly in the 80's. Tony O lead the Hawks to the finals twice...in 71 and 73....both in  losing efforts to exceptional Habs teams of the early 70's. Hall's championship came against a powerhouse Red Wing team in 61.

Both goalies won the Calder.....Hall in 56 and Tony O in 1970....so he was in his second year and 4th year when he reached the finals against the Habs.

Both goalies won the Vezina multiple times....Hall in 63, 67 and 68....Tony in 70, 72 and 74....pretty special to win the Vezina and Calder in the same year.

Hall's stats..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2096

Tony O's stats

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1590

Another big difference is that Hall won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort with the St.Louis Blues in 1968....Tony never won that award. They were close in terms of elite play, but I'd have to give Hall the slight edge....mostly due to the Stanley Cup victory and the fact his stats always stayed respectable....the same cannot be said about Tony.

@ScottM  I put Glenn Hall ahead of Tony Esposito for a few reasons. First and foremost, Hall backstopped the Hawks to a Stanley Cup championship in 1961. Secondly, Hall's stats stayed elite through his career.....where Tony O's stats dipped to embarrassingly high numbers at the back end of his career. It's tough to compare, cause when Tony O was finishing up, the style of play changed significantly in the 80's. Tony O lead the Hawks to the finals twice...in 71 and 73....both in  losing efforts to exceptional Habs teams of the early 70's. Hall's championship came against a powerhouse Red Wing team in 61.

Both goalies won the Calder.....Hall in 56 and Tony O in 1970....so he was in his second year and 4th year when he reached the finals against the Habs.

Both goalies won the Vezina multiple times....Hall in 63, 67 and 68....Tony in 70, 72 and 74....pretty special to win the Vezina and Calder in the same year.

Hall's stats..

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=2096

Tony O's stats

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=1590

Another big difference is that Hall won the Conn Smythe in a losing effort with the St.Louis Blues in 1968....Tony never won that award. They were close in terms of elite play, but I'd have to give Hall the slight edge....mostly due to the Stanley Cup victory and the fact his stats always stayed respectable....the same cannot be said about Tony.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with them being in either order. It was a very close call, and it basically just came down to being forced to make a choice. It's very true that Hall went out more strongly than Esposito, but I actually didn't consider the last few years of Hall's career (or the first few) because he wasn't with the Blackhawks. When I make these, I only consider seasons played with the team in question. But again, I have no gripe with anything you said. All very valid points.

I think Towes and Kane move up in the line up as their careers progress.

From a talent standpoint i find it laughable that Tony Amonte and Steve Larmer are ahead of Patrick Kane.  I am also pretty sure Kane has won more than those guys too, however they were good players for longer than he has been so I can see them being rated ahead of him today.

Same with Chicago Jesus, No way do I put Denny Savard ahead of Jonathan Towes, just no way, although Savard was a more dyanamic skater and offensive player, his 200 foot game had a lot to be desired.   Towes is a better leader and better all around player, but he's still kind of young so i can give a pass on this today.  

I think Kane and Toews must have sustained excellence to get the top line minutes, cannot argue those guys at all.  

i think this current group of 'hawks is pretty special and if Hossa finishes his career in chi-town I think he should merit inclusion on the list, because he's a freak.

Bingo. I'd say there's a very good chance that those guys are second line if this is done again after their retirement. One of the toughest parts of this is balancing "peak performance" or talent and longevity.

I think Kane and Toews must have sustained excellence to get the top line minutes, cannot argue those guys at all.  

The first line was easy, the order of the others, not so much.

i think this current group of 'hawks is pretty special and if Hossa finishes his career in chi-town I think he should merit inclusion on the list, because he's a freak.

I think you're likely correct.

From a talent standpoint i find it laughable that Tony Amonte and Steve Larmer are ahead of Patrick Kane.  I am also pretty sure Kane has won more than those guys too, however they were good players for longer than he has been so I can see them being rated ahead of him today.

Same with Chicago Jesus, No way do I put Denny Savard ahead of Jonathan Towes, just no way, although Savard was a more dyanamic skater and offensive player, his 200 foot game had a lot to be desired.   Towes is a better leader and better all around player, but he's still kind of young so i can give a pass on this today.  

The majority of players on the list have played for the Chicago blackhawks for almost their whole careers( I think), so as a blackhawk, i dont think Hossa should be included. But he is certainly better than most of the players added into the list overall...

Archived