A bet is a Bet: Why I love the Lightning and will root for them from here on out.

yave1964

TFG and I made a bet, whichever team won the series, the fan of the losing series had to do a nice writeup on the team that just felled our boys. I was gonna wait a day or so and let the pain disipate but I think it might just take a wee bit longer than that, so here it is TFG.

First off, congrats to Coach Cooper and his Lightning mjEFBXh8U6sk4Rfxnv7CX1g.jpgfor a hard fought rough and tumble series victory over my Wings that went seven grueling games and was still tied entering the third period of game seven. My hat is off to the Lightning and I will adopt them as my team going forward the rest of the way.

I thought it was gutsy of Cooper to put in Nesterov and remove J.T. Brown, going with 7 d-men and only 11 forwards, those two, IMHO were simply outstanding all series long, Brown hit severything and is sneaky quick, Nesterov has come from nowhere and has a gutsy first pass across the middle that is hard and crisp and the Wings were unable to steal, he seems to have instincts beyond his years. Still, I would try to figure out a way to keep him in the lineup and get Brown back in.

The team is so deep that Drouin only played sparingly and was a press box casualty for much of the first round. Just awesome depth.

Brian Boyle was huge on the fourth line, taking critical faceoffs, killing penalties, doing all of the unsung things that dont make the boxscore. Garrison coming back was critical and the goal by Coburn may have been his best since his first year in Philadelphia.

Enough cannot be said about Tyler Johnsonmdx1naiRdFJKIb2RcP54bTw.jpg, just an incredible series, undrafted, unwanted, proving that size does nat matter (at least in Hockey) heart matters more and nobody in the series for either team had more.

Stamkos, in spite of not scoring was blocking shots and never gave up, the goals will come as they go forward.

I think that the guy who impressed me the most going forward in the series was huge Andrej Sustr who used his mass and size to clog the middle, his stick seemed cover half the ice, nobody got beyond him. I know plus/minus is overrated but he EARNED his series leading plus seven. He simply shut the Wings down when he was on the ice. Hedman was and is more skilled and had my jaw dropping, looking like Lidstrom with his technique many times as well but sustr just had me drooling, I would love to see him wearing the winged wheel.

Bishop won the seventh game. A big game for a goalie, a game seven, lose and go home, he answered the bell and silenced the critics (at least for now) with a monster game. Kudos.

11 Lightning players scored a goal in the series which speaks volumes to the depth on the team, the fact that Stamkos, Callahan, Kucherov and Hedman were not among them is telling, the team is so deep that they just won a seven game series without a single goal from 3of their 5 top offensive forwards.and Hedman, the offensive catalyst from the back end.

In short, everything that Babcock set out to do he accomplished, he got huge games out of Mrazek, shut down the Bolts top line and neutralized the third line as well, and kept Hedman from beating them as well. That was the Wings gameplan going in and every single thing worked to a tee.

It was not enough. That is a testimonial to the depth of the Steve Yzerman team, the ability to adapt when things arent working. Congrats to the Bolts for moving on, I wish you well the rest of the way.

GO BOLTS!!

I think I am going back to bed and getting under my covers after I go throw up a bit now.

Just to let the site know...

@yave1964 is a beautiful man!

Stand up type, accountable, with integrity...and despite his profound pride in his team, is man enough to be humble and do what he said he was going to do.

There is a reason why he is one of my favorite posters here and I love reading his posts and topics...and not just about teams I follow.

Good, hard fought series, Yave...only one of us could move on...and I am especially impressed by how quick you got to this, because if it were the other way around, I probably WOULD have taken an extra day to let the sting subside some.

You are awesome my friend.

And everyone here should know that.

:)

On the bright side for the Wings, You seem to have found a real goalie going forward into next season. I never expected Mrazek to stand tall like he did and take this series to the full count. This series would have been over in 4 if not for his outstanding play in goal.

Nice write-up, and a series like that one was deserving of such. It was a shame that either team had to lose. The Wings seemed kind of up and down over the course of the season, but the way they finished, especially Mrazek, as others have said, points to a rather attractive future.

As for the Lightning, I think they proved by winning a tough series like that, that they are more than capable of taking on the Habs and Rangers. I really wasn't all that sold on them and didn't think they'd get past the second round, but now, I think they've got a chance at a deep run. I think this series gets my vote for the best one in the first round.

I think that the guy who impressed me the most going forward in the series was huge Andrej Sustr who used his mass and size to clog the middle, his stick seemed cover half the ice, nobody got beyond him. I know plus/minus is overrated but he EARNED his series leading plus seven. He simply shut the Wings down when he was on the ice.

I was saying the exact same thing earlier in the week. Sustr is truly one of the most underrated GEMS in the entire league. A legit top 4 d-man who is only going to get better from here on out. Great hockey sense, very nice skater for such a big man. He quietly goes about his work and is VERY organized and smart. Just love what he brings to the table.

Both the Habs and Bolts have a LOT of depth, on offense and defense....and we are gonna see 2 elite goalies going at it....can't wait for this series to start!! I *really* wanted to see an original 6 match-up, it would have been very good for the sport...I wanted to see renewed hostility between the Wings and Habs...it's been FAR to long since these teams have hated each other....I miss that.

Archived