Les MiserHabs- Canadiens year in review

yave1964

LMAO thank you. Kind of what I was going for but meant every word. I love the uniforms, especially the home, and historically I liked the team. But about ten years ago (maybe as many as twenty) they became one of the most annoying teams and fan bases for me.

Now, I just like to see them suffer.

I'd even cheer for the Penguins against them if that tells you anything (I'd cheer for the Habs against the Caps, though).

That's all I heard.    I'll keep this around for posterity sake

That's all I heard.    I'll keep this around for posterity sake

LOL!

There are actually several teams I'll cheer for them against.  Obviously not when they play the Flyers, and not if their winning hurts the Flyers somehow in the standings.  Recently, however, the latter is not really a concern.  It's like worrying about waking up a dead person.  (no offense to Kate Smith)

LOL!

There are actually several teams I'll cheer for them against.  Obviously not when they play the Flyers, and not if their winning hurts the Flyers somehow in the standings.  Recently, however, the latter is not really a concern.  It's like worrying about waking up a dead person.  (no offense to Kate Smith)

I know what you mean. I can honestly say I've never rooted against the Flyers just because they are the Flyers. 

I was happy to see the Habs lose,  I haven't met one of their fans that didn't whine incessantly, and there are a few players I don't like.

But, my night was complete last night with the Capitals losing.  I have not liked that team for quite some time now.  Most if that comes from a few their fans that I've dealt with on other boards, most of whom don't know much about hockey.   Seeing them lose made me smile, that plus the barmaid was just bringing me a fresh Guiness when the Rangers scored in OT, but that was just a bonus.

I can honestly say I've never rooted against the Flyers just because they are the Flyers. 

I can't say that. I cheered vigorously against them since Christmas.

I was happy to see the Habs lose,  I haven't met one of their fans that didn't whine incessantly, and there are a few players I don't like.

But, my night was complete last night with the Capitals losing.  I have not liked that team for quite some time now.  Most if that comes from a few their fans that I've dealt with on other boards, most of whom don't know much about hockey

Word for word my feelings on both teams/fans.

I was really shocked at how very effective Petry was. He was outstanding, almost forcing Montreal to offer him a new deal, if he goes UFA, he will get a real nice deal, based on this years playoff. He picked the right time to come up BIG.

Montreal's soul mission should be adding goals, goals and more goals. At least they have it fairly easy, much easier to add offense and goals rather than having to go find a goalie or restructure your defense. The hard parts, goalie and defense are already there, so their quest to get better will be far easier than other teams face.

I was really shocked at how very effective Petry was. He was outstanding, almost forcing Montreal to offer him a new deal, if he goes UFA, he will get a real nice deal, based on this years playoff. He picked the right time to come up BIG.

Montreal's soul mission should be adding goals, goals and more goals. At least they have it fairly easy, much easier to add offense and goals rather than having to go find a goalie or restructure your defense. The hard parts, goalie and defense are already there, so their quest to get better will be far easier than other teams face.

The latest I heard about Petry is that he's saying Montreal is his top choice, but many people think he's looking seriously at Detroit, since he's a Michigan native. I wonder if he'll play that for leverage to maximize his deal. If he can do that, more power to him, but if he does that and resigns with the Habs, he may doom them to once again have an anemic offense due to a lack of cap space. I think this will be one of the top free agency stories to watch simply because of what it might mean for Montreal.

but many people think he's looking seriously at Detroit, since he's a Michigan native.

Ya know Scott...living 2 miles from Michigan, I seen a lot of this...people from Michigan always move back home if it's at all possible. Most are very loyal to their home state and don't want to raise their kids anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff Petry never seemed to catch on and was out of sync after being the teams big trade addition.

I have to disagree with you here. Jeff Petry was solid defensively for the Canadiens. He made up for Markov's horrendous play and he's going to break the bank on July first. I hope he signs with Montreal, but I doubt Bergevin gives Petry what he wants.

Look, this year is a failure. Carey Price put together a season that could snag him the Hart trophy, PK Subban could win the Norris, and Max Pacioretty was one of the best two way forwards in the game this year.

Unfortunately, Montreal was incredibly challenged offensively and overused grinders in an attempt to play "playoff style hockey"

I honestly think this team is headed nowhere fast as long as Michel Therrien remains behind the bench. To put it bluntly, the system he coaches is boring and counter intuitive: "Let's score one goal late in the third and lean on Carey Price to stop everything."

With the skill this roster has with Subban, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Gallagher, the scoring should at least be a bit better than it was.

Instead of acquiring a top scorer, the Habs GM, Marc Bergevin, traded away Jiri Sekac for (grinder) Devante Smith-Pelly. This move so far has been a bust. Sekac was used poorly by Therrien and it ended in the young Czech forward being shipped to Anaheim for another bottom six player. I have no doubt in my mind that with a few seasons under his belt, Sekac will be a top six forward. He showed incredible flashes of speed and smarts with the puck.

The biggest aspect about this season is the reaction from Michel Therrien after the game six loss to the Bolts. Therrien proclaimed that the Habs are a team in transition. I find it hard to believe that a team that was two wins away from reaching the Stanley Cup Final in 2014 is a transition team the next year. With Price, Subban and Pacioretty going into the best years of their careers soon, the time to win is now. I'm not saying the Habs' window is closing, but they need to put an emphasis on competing for the cup in the next 2-3 years.

Habs needs: Top line Right Wing, Solid second line defensemen

Who needs to go: Emelin and Desharnais

I have no doubt in my mind that with a few seasons under his belt, Sekac will be a top six forward. He showed incredible flashes of speed and smarts with the puck.

Very good point. Know what I noticed also, even though he's a scoring type winger, he showed a LOT of heart competing for pucks in all  3 zones, which made me take notice. I do think Smith-Pelly is more than just a grinder, but Sekac's offense is a lot better. Smith Pelly makes the Habs tougher to play against, but unless he chips in more than just 3rd line offense, this trade will eventually be a loss for the Habs. I lot will depend on how the Habs deploy Smith Pelly, who will his linemates be, and if he does show a flash of offense, will the Habs try to cater to that and allow him to grow and evolve as an offensive force? He needs talented, skilled linemates and more offensive zone starts than a 3rd liner typically gets. He does have a nice nose for the net and a nice release, but to this point, we have not seen much of that at the NHL level...but the talent is there, the trick is to bring in out in a way that does not harm the Habs.

@ihabs1993

I disagree with Sekac, I see him as a Ville Leino/Damian Brunner type, zero hockey IQ for the North American game,while I loathe Don Cherry and his take on Eruo players Sekac's game is the type that Cherry rips on. For once I agree with the guy.

I seem to have struck a nerve with some folks on Petry, if you look at his numbers, regular season and postseason with the Habs and average them out over a full season you get a 25-30 point player who plays 20 minutes a night. He WILL break the bank because free agents are so thin this year, he will get overpaid and a team will regret it. I just seriously hope it is not the Wings. Don't get me wrong, he is a solid number four but that is about it. He is, IMHO a very overrated player and zero statistical evidence is contrary to my feeling this way. I believe in the power of numbers, not the power of the eye where after a whistle Pierre goes on and on about a great defensive play that he made. Yes, he is a capable player, but no way in the class of a five year 25 million dollar contract which he seems to be likely to get offered. I am not talking about his numbers in Edmonton which are skewed by the wretched team he played for but his very average numbers in Montreal. Just a player, nothing special. I would take Francois Beauchemin for a half or a third of the salary any day of the week. Both are free agents, both the same type of player. Petry may be better but if so slightly better. I have visited several Canadien forums to peruse, Petry seems to be the topic of the day in quite a few of them. Fans seem split down the middle, half agreeing with you, half with me, so we will see. Obviously you see a lot more Montreal hockey than I do but I watch my fair share and look at numbers, quite frankly I do not see the fuss.

@yave1964

Agree with a lot of this. I know what you are saying skill set wise and importance to the team etc....but Beauchemin is 34 and Petry 27, so in a way, not fair to compare them. Thing is, Fredrick is quite underrated, always has been. The Leafs (surprise) never really knew what they had in him, and he has had 4.5 REALLY impressive seasons for the Ducks.

Getting back to Petry, has never had double digit goals, has never topped 30 pts in his career. I might be tempted to call him *slightly* above average, but that is it. Pound for pound, a guy like Beauchemin would have a MUCH greater impact on a roster, age differential and all.

• 2 weeks later...

@yave1964

Agree with a lot of this. I know what you are saying skill set wise and importance to the team etc....but Beauchemin is 34 and Petry 27, so in a way, not fair to compare them. Thing is, Fredrick is quite underrated, always has been. The Leafs (surprise) never really knew what they had in him, and he has had 4.5 REALLY impressive seasons for the Ducks.

Getting back to Petry, has never had double digit goals, has never topped 30 pts in his career. I might be tempted to call him *slightly* above average, but that is it. Pound for pound, a guy like Beauchemin would have a MUCH greater impact on a roster, age differential and all.

@ihabs1993

I disagree with Sekac, I see him as a Ville Leino/Damian Brunner type, zero hockey IQ for the North American game,while I loathe Don Cherry and his take on Eruo players Sekac's game is the type that Cherry rips on. For once I agree with the guy.

I seem to have struck a nerve with some folks on Petry, if you look at his numbers, regular season and postseason with the Habs and average them out over a full season you get a 25-30 point player who plays 20 minutes a night. He WILL break the bank because free agents are so thin this year, he will get overpaid and a team will regret it. I just seriously hope it is not the Wings. Don't get me wrong, he is a solid number four but that is about it. He is, IMHO a very overrated player and zero statistical evidence is contrary to my feeling this way. I believe in the power of numbers, not the power of the eye where after a whistle Pierre goes on and on about a great defensive play that he made. Yes, he is a capable player, but no way in the class of a five year 25 million dollar contract which he seems to be likely to get offered. I am not talking about his numbers in Edmonton which are skewed by the wretched team he played for but his very average numbers in Montreal. Just a player, nothing special. I would take Francois Beauchemin for a half or a third of the salary any day of the week. Both are free agents, both the same type of player. Petry may be better but if so slightly better. I have visited several Canadien forums to peruse, Petry seems to be the topic of the day in quite a few of them. Fans seem split down the middle, half agreeing with you, half with me, so we will see. Obviously you see a lot more Montreal hockey than I do but I watch my fair share and look at numbers, quite frankly I do not see the fuss.

I think Petry is a mysterious player to some. Remember, he was playing in Edmonton. If you look at the rate he was scoring when he came to Montreal, he could score about 30 points a season, however I don't think that's what the goal was here. I think he's a better defensive player. We have Subban and Markov to control the offense for now, so Petry will be better off trying to tighten the team up defensively. If you look at the Canadiens defensive core last year, Petry was behind only Subban and Markov in Corsi for and Corsi against which is a pretty good indicator of how he is not allowing many shots to be taken against Price. The same can be said about both Fenwick for and against, which takes into account blocked shots. He's not going to quaterback the powerplay oro the offense like some fans would tend to believe, but having Petry as Montreal's number 3 defenseman for the time being is a tremendous upgrade on Emelin. If Petry is paired with Beaulieu, Beaulieu can do the heavy lifting on offense while Petry protects the house.

I think Montreal is, like lots of teams, a few tweaks here and there from being a serious contender.  Their biggest need is scoring at forward.  There aren't a whole lot of skilled wingers who are available.  But, Chicago might want to keep their core together and be willing to transfer Patrick Sharp in a deal favorable to both teams.  Sharp wouldn't be a saviour for Canadiens, but he's have more value to them than he is to Blackhawks.    

• 4 weeks later...

Montreal :

With Price = 100+ points

Without Price = 80-90 points wild card bubble team. 

Montreal shouldn't get too high with its performance this season because Price is a goalie that will easily steal you 20+ points a season. Price is a goalie that will steal you 10 games minimum that you have no business winning. The Habs need to make their first priority acquiring or developing a legitimate #1 centre. Because Galchenyuk isn't going to be that guy, improve the D a little and Montreal will be a threat, until then the D is too weak and down the middle there is nothing there to be afraid of.

If Petry is paired with Beaulieu, Beaulieu can do the heavy lifting on offense while Petry protects the house.

That may be how it plays out, but since when do teams pay a d-man 6+ mill to "protect the house"?

Archived