24th overall picks......

Okay.  My first attempt at a topic.  Go easy on me.   ;)

Well, with the Ranger's win last night, the Leafs officially have the 24th overall pick from Nashville.  

Can they draft an impact player with it?  Yup.  Here are a few notables from past years, from that slot.

Daniel Briere, Brad Boyes, Alex Steen, Mike Richards, TJ Oshie, Michael Backlund, Malcom Subban(Okay, he's not notable yet, but taking a Goalie with a late first might not be the worst idea for us......we're thin there too).

The 4th overall pick is huge for us, for sure.  But let's not forget that we can get a DAMN GOOD player with this 24th overall, as well.

(Ah......WHY did we trade Colaiacovo and Steen for Stempniak again?  Why?????)

Go easy on me.

Your a Leafs fan, so that is easier said than done!

Welcome.

The Leafs might be able to get one of these 3 D-men, all ranked in and around that 20-25 range: Brandon Carlo, Jakub Zboril, and Jeremy Roy. They are not similar type players, but to think that you can get a player like that at the 24 spot is testimony to the depth of this draft. Personally, I think Carlo will rise since he's 6'5" but you never know.

Yeah, good point. Lots of great players should still be available in that spot and lower. 

For sure.  

And I like the idea of going for a top-flight Centre with our 4th overall pick, and a damned good D-Man with that 24th.  If the Leafs wheel & deal a little more, and acquire a 2nd rounder, I'd still like to use it to get a good Goalie prospect.  I'd consider that a massively successful draft, if we were to do it like that.

And I like the idea of going for a top-flight Centre with our 4th overall pick, and a damned good D-Man with that 24th.  If the Leafs wheel & deal a little more, and acquire a 2nd rounder, I'd still like to use it to get a good Goalie prospect.  I'd consider that a massively successful draft, if we were to do it like that.

Sure, fill all needs. I don't know about grabbing a 2nd just to take a goalie. There are some good looking goalie prospects this year (Blackwood, Booth, Vladar, Samsonov), but it seems like such a crapshoot. What do the Leafs have right now in the way of goalie prospects?

Your a Leafs fan, so that is easier said than done!

Welcome.

The Leafs might be able to get one of these 3 D-men, all ranked in and around that 20-25 range: Brandon Carlo, Jakub Zboril, and Jeremy Roy. They are not similar type players, but to think that you can get a player like that at the 24 spot is testimony to the depth of this draft. Personally, I think Carlo will rise since he's 6'5" but you never know.

I agree with every part of this post. Lol

Seriously, I do think they should look at a blueliner with that pick. Fixing that unit is not going to be a simple project, and that needs to be the main focus for the Leafs this offseason, imho.

Seriously, I do think they should look at a blueliner with that pick. Fixing that unit is not going to be a simple project, and that needs to be the main focus for the Leafs this offseason, imho.

If Burke was still the GM it would be easier to predict what the Leafs would do: they'd take the American Carlo if he was available still. If not, they'd take a different American player.

If Burke was still the GM it would be easier to predict what the Leafs would do: they'd take the American Carlo if he was available still. If not, they'd take a different American player.

Don't tell that to Don Cherry.

Sure, fill all needs. I don't know about grabbing a 2nd just to take a goalie. There are some good looking goalie prospects this year (Blackwood, Booth, Vladar, Samsonov), but it seems like such a crapshoot. What do the Leafs have right now in the way of goalie prospects?

Not much.  Antoine Bibeau is the best of the bunch, and he's not that special.  The only other two are Garret Sparks and Christopher Gibson.  It's a real weakness for our system.  

I agree that Goalies are always a crapshoot, but the Leafs simply have not drafted one with a high pick in YEARS.  The last one they used a 1st or 2nd rounder on was Tuuka Rask back in 2005........perhaps they should have kept that one!!  

The last one they used a 1st or 2nd rounder on was Tuuka Rask back in 2005........perhaps they should have kept that one!!

I'm glad you brought that up - saves me from doing it, lol. 

I thought Gibson was highly touted....no?

@Holymakinaw  Welcome..I'm a HUGE Joe Bowen fan....he's one of the best things to ever happen to the game...I like him that much. That jovial laugh of his....I miss that...and his timely one liners...I remember one time the net fell on the goalie and Joe yelled out "get that Hemp Hut off that young man:!!  LMAO....really miss hearing Joe.

An excellent point Pods....if Burke was GM...Carlo would be gone to the Leafs...SCREW THAT!!

Meanwhile, I suspect Tyler Biggs gets released next year...he is a BUM. He does not even stick out in AHL games!  HORRIBLE PICK>

I wasn't confusing the two. You're guy is a Finn is he not? I still didn't think he was a bum.

I don't think he's a bum either, but he doesn't have that much upside.  He split the season with Bibeau for the Marlies this season, and did alright.  Certainly didn't set the league on fire or anything.  

I don't see any of our Goalie prospects as having anything more than Backup potential.  That's not a knock on ay of them, but every team has that.  We could really use a legit Goalie bluechip prospect.

I don't think he's a bum either, but he doesn't have that much upside. He split the season with Bibeau for the Marlies this season, and did alright. Certainly didn't set the league on fire or anything.

I don't see any of our Goalie prospects as having anything more than Backup potential. That's not a knock on ay of them, but every team has that. We could really use a legit Goalie bluechip prospect.

We all could.

@Holymakinaw  Leafs 24th overall pick, and a mid level prospect for Malcom Subban?. I could see Boston going for that, Rask is a fixture and they already have a solid back up....and other prospects in net, they might use him to secure picks and or prospects.....might be a bidding war though.

@Holymakinaw  Leafs 24th overall pick, and a mid level prospect for Malcom Subban?. I could see Boston going for that, Rask is a fixture and they already have a solid back up....and other prospects in net, they might use him to secure picks and or prospects.....might be a bidding war though.

I'd rather collect picks and prospects and take my chances drafting for a change.  The Leafs have ALWAYS traded away assets for the "quicker fix" to try and speed things up, and it's never gotten them anywhere except to near the bottom.  Hopefully this time, they've learned that it just doesn't work for them.  They need to be patient.

I'd rather collect picks and prospects and take my chances drafting for a change.  The Leafs have ALWAYS traded away assets for the "quicker fix" to try and speed things up, and it's never gotten them anywhere except to near the bottom.  Hopefully this time, they've learned that it just doesn't work for them.  They need to be patient.

Yes....wise words. We shall see if Nonis's successor sees it the same way.

• 1 month later...

I was impressed with how they worked a 24th into a 29th plus two other picks, then turned the 29th into two others as well. 

I can only assume that they didn't feel that the 24th was worth hanging on to. Anyway four more picks is good??

@BluPuk

If Konecny turns out to be anywhere near what I think he'll be, the Leafs should have grabbed him when they had a chance. I thought he'd be gone by pick 15. Depends on how they all pan out I guess...but when he was still sitting there and I heard Philly had made the trade, i was pumped.

@BluPuk

If Konecny turns out to be anywhere near what I think he'll be, the Leafs should have grabbed him when they had a chance. I thought he'd be gone by pick 15. Depends on how they all pan out I guess...but when he was still sitting there and I heard Philly had made the trade, i was pumped.

You mean Kopecny? I certainly can't argue with you because I know nothing of that guy. Nowadays there are just too many players to keep track of them all and to know what kind of opposition they play against. Unfortunately for all these young guys, they don't get the top players to play against all the time and that can affect their development. Anyway, I wish you guys well (unless you're playing the Leafs :rolleyes: ).

Archived