Larkin leaves UM, joins Grand Rapids

@TheHockeytown

Beat me to it, I was just going to post this but saw you already had.

Absolutely love the kid, I see him as a Ryan Callahan as a center at the very least. A responsible two way player who can score. He may exceed that but his lower end is still very high. I doubt he is with the Wings this year other than maybe a cup of coffee but I love his future.

Hey guys new to the forum...

I think he could step in and be a good 3rd line center for the wings at the start if next season, obviously it won't happen because of the way the club brings along its prospects, but he is that good already.

He was getting substantial ice time with legitimate NHL centers during the world championships, and had the coaches trust enough to be a regular on the pk, and to be matched up against kopitar.

Hopefully he tears it up and helps the griffins win the championship in the AHL, and maybe he impresses blashill enough to earn himself some playing time or at least a call up.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what he can do with athanasiou on his wing, that much speed is going to be insane once they develop some chemistry...

He should be realgud.

@jimmyemery

Welcome!! We need more around here who wear the Winged colored glasses!

Great place to post, great bunch of folks, feel free to browse other teams sections and post there as well, the Hockey History section is being well manned and is a lot of fun as well!

Larkin, I was really hoping he would fall to us in the draft and still cannot believe he did. Just a terrific prospect and a home town boy to boot.

@jimmyemery  Welcome!!  I strongly suspect, barring a few injuries that Larkin will spend the year in Grand Rapids, it's the Holland way! It could however, make it very hard to keep him down. Everything I read says NHL ready, playing a very nice all round game, and some nice wheels. I expect the Wings to continue to be ultra conservative with the kids, I'm thinking being overly patient is a Holland trait, not related to Babcock....although his coaching style would lean towards experienced vets rather than mistake prone kids. Perhaps Babbers style helped promote the 3 year mandatory stay in GR...who knows?

@jimmyemery  Welcome!!  I strongly suspect, barring a few injuries that Larkin will spend the year in Grand Rapids, it's the Holland way! It could however, make it very hard to keep him down. Everything I read says NHL ready, playing a very nice all round game, and some nice wheels. I expect the Wings to continue to be ultra conservative with the kids, I'm thinking being overly patient is a Holland trait, not related to Babcock....although his coaching style would lean towards experienced vets rather than mistake prone kids. Perhaps Babbers style helped promote the 3 year mandatory stay in GR...who knows?

Babs developed a well earned rep as a coach who preferred Vets, it was only when injuries forced his hand and the talented kids forced their way to the front that Tatat, Nyquist and Sheahan among others made their way into the lineup.

Holland has a history of allowing the coach to dictate the roster, he may not give quite a free hand to a first time coach like Blashill. My feeling is Blashill will give the kids a quicker chance to prove themselves than Babs ever did.

. My feeling is Blashill will give the kids a quicker chance to prove themselves than Babs ever did.

I'm sure he has developed some nice relationships with more than a few of the GR crew. I'm sure he has a few favourites among them also, which gives them increased odds of making the team.

@jimmyemery

Welcome!

I think Larkin will be given a chance to play on the top two lines to start the year playing with either Zetterburg or Datsyuk.  No reason to not have your best play with the best right from the start.

Loved Larkin when I finally saw him play at the WJCs. I knew he was good, but I was very impressed with his overall game and competitiveness. Agree with others, he likely won't be in Grand Rapids long. 

@TheHockeytown

Larkin had an amazing game yesterday, scoring his first two professional goals. The first one, set up by as perfect a pass as you will ever see by magician in waiting Andreas Athanasiou was lovely, the second one was a fluky goal, the Comets tender kind of misplayed a shot from just inside of the blueline and it got past him.

The other goals were by Pulkinnen who is on pace to set an AHL record for goals in the postseason if the Wings advance to the final he will give it a serious run. The other by Tyler Bertuzzi who the Wings were ripped for drafting so early but who is nearly unstoppable since turning pro.

So don't write the Wings off, Babs never took a faceoff or fired a shot and yesterdays game was the next wave on review. Larkin was voted the first star and was very deserving.

@yave1964  Pulkinnen has one of the most legit shots in NA. His wheels are good enough to take him to the soft spots in the defense, and his one timer skills ie hand and eye co-ordination are beyond reproach. Honest to God, he reminds me of a young Brett Hull. There is a real good chance he takes the league by storm and does not look back...the one big problem...he requires an elite center who can feed him the puck from anywhere on the ice, one with great wheels and vision...and to get that...he has to break into the top 6 in Detroit, not an easy thing to do.

Archived