Review: Coaching Candidates

Since coach Mike is officially out of Detroit and with the Leafs, who can the Red Wings fanbase expect to have as the next bench boss? Choices, choices for ole Kenny Holland... here is a list of a few candidates:

Top Three

1. Jeff Blashill

Jeff Blashill is clearly the number one choice right now, seeing that he spoke to the media and reassured everyone that, yes, he wants to be the next head coach of the Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings fanbase should expect Jeff to be the next head coach of the team, but not anytime soon. Jeff has set his mind exclusively on the AHL playoffs, where the Griffins have reached the conference finals and are one round away from reaching the Calder Cup for the second time in three years. Is Ken Holland interested? Absolutely, and it's likely he'll go through with hiring Jeff.

2. Dan Bylsma

There has been speculation that the former Pittsburgh bench boss has spoken with Kenny about becoming Detroit's next head coach. But is it possible? There's always that chance that Ken Holland makes a surprise decision, but it's unlikely from what has been reported. The Buffalo Sabres have reportedly been in talks with Dan since Mike Babcock made his cash-for-life Toronto decision. Is Ken Holland interested? Since he put him on his list, maybe, but the most likely answer is probably not.

3. Ken Hitchcock

Although there hasn't been much said about Ken Hitchcock standing behind the Detroit bench next year, there's a report that he is on Ken Holland's "coach-for-hire" list. Seeing that the St. Louis Blues have been in talks with Ken Hitchcock since former Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock made his decision, it's unlikely that Hitchcock will be Detroit's bench boss next season. Again, always that chance though. Is Ken Holland interested? Again, since he put him on his list, maybe, but the most likely answer is probably not.

Out of touch, out of time

1. John Tortorella

John Tortorella recently said he's interested in returning to the NHL. But let's be honest for a second, who in Lord Stanley's cup would want to hire him again? I mean, the guy only lasted what, a season in Vancouver? That's pretty sad. Along with charging inside the Calgary Flames' locker room, he might never find himself in a job again. Is Ken Holland interested? Absolutely...

... not

What does the rest of the fanbase think? Who do you want to see chosen out of the top 3? Or would you like to see Johnny Torts become the next Wings' bench boss?

@TheHockeytown

Blashill

Blashill

Blashill

None of the others have a chance, he has earned it and has been groomed for the role for the past several years. I hope they keep Granato as the bench coach to provide him with an experienced partner.

@TheHockeytown

@yave1964

I'd be VERY surprised if someone other than Jeff Blashill gets the job.

Tellin ya..the fact that the guy has coached winners in the minors and most of the same players he is familiar with are at the NHL club is a HUGE plus.

I am sure many of the former Griffins-now-Red Wings speak highly of him...I mean, if the guy was a lousy coach or personality, he wouldn't have even got his minor leaguers to play well for him.

Detroit believes in their system, in their 'way'...why not reward a guy who has coached well within their own system?

I suppose if some other coach became available and Ken Holland saw an opportunity to add a coach with a winning NHL pedigree, he may be tempted (I am thinking Hitchcock of the candidates mentioned by the OP), but honestly, there are probably a million reasons NOT to hire Ken Hitchcock as there are for hiring him.

Red Wings head coaching job is Jeff Blashill's to lose IMO.

As a side to John Tortorella:

By now, I think most would agree he is a specialized type coach.

He is the type of guy that you bring into a situation where the culture is losing and is full of young guys who have NO CLUE how to turn things around.

He CAN be a difference maker on a young, aimless club...he turns potential into solid NHL players.

He WILL wear on a team over time, is not particularly loved by the media (feeling is mutual I am sure), and he is not suited for a team with a certain mindset in place or filled with vets who don't need a guy hammering them over the head.

Detroit is NOT a fit for Torts anyways. Neither was Vancouver, and I thought it was asinine for the Canucks to hire him in the first place.

As of now, outside of maybe the Buffalo Sabres, I can't think of a team that could benefit from Tortorella's "specialized" coaching style.

Perhaps Boston, if the Bruins decided to chuck a bunch of their veterans and go all youth.

Boston already plays a hard nosed, defensive style with a premium on laying out bodies....right up Tortorella's alley.

Only thing is, right now, Boston has enough vets on the team that Torts' "hard style" would probably be ineffective.......they'd need to have majority youth on the team for his message to get across better.

But no, Torts is NOT a good HC candidate for the Wings...not even close.

It's Jeff Blashill or color me shocked if he doesn't get it.

@TheHockeytown

@yave1964

@TropicalFruitGirl26

There's only one choice - Jeff Blashill. The team is tailor-made for his system now and he's coached almost half of the team to success at the AHL level.

For all the talk about how Blashill and Babcock coach very similar styles, there are differences that make Blashill a very good fit the current roster make-up of the Red Wings.

He develops strong relationships with young players. Believe it was Jurco that was saying that Blashill was a key person in his development at the AHL level because of Blashill's support and willingness to have a truly open door, instead of pushing them to his assistants. Aside from his relationship with players, his system stresses high-paced neutral zone play to control the pace of the game - this is why Mantha hasn't been used as much in Grand Rapids, he's still learning how to become (in Babcock's words) 'an everydayer'.

There's only one choice - Jeff Blashill. The team is tailor-made for his system now and he's coached almost half of the team to success at the AHL level.

For all the talk about how Blashill and Babcock coach very similar styles, there are differences that make Blashill a very good fit the current roster make-up of the Red Wings.

He develops strong relationships with young players. Believe it was Jurco that was saying that Blashill was a key person in his development at the AHL level because of Blashill's support and willingness to have a truly open door, instead of pushing them to his assistants. Aside from his relationship with players, his system stresses high-paced neutral zone play to control the pace of the game - this is why Mantha hasn't been used as much in Grand Rapids, he's still learning how to become (in Babcock's words) 'an everydayer'.

Agree, I think the team is going through all the motions of the interview process.  I'd be shocked if any one else was named coach this season.

oh, and btw, welcome to our Forums.  Were growing at a nice pace on the Red Wings forum - truely a great group of active and knowledgeable  members.

@minilab  Welcome, always nice to add yet another Wings fan. I anticipate some very enticing knowledgeable threads coming out the Wings forum this year, great group of posters and getting better by the day. 

Blaishill will get the job, I doubt anyone else is even getting serious consideration. He already knows half the roster, having coached all the kids in Grand Rapids the past few years. Like I've said before, he knows these kids inside out, how to motivate them, when to put pressure on them, when to back off, who needs encouragement, who needs berating....that is half the battle.

@minilab

Welcome!  Great to see another Wings fan!  Hope you enjoy the conversation and add your input!

It's gonna be Blash.  It has to be Blash.  That's the whole reason Blash is still in Grand Rapids making the kind of money he's making.  So that he doesn't lkeave...so that he can caoch the Red Wings post-Babcock.

Ken Hitchcock would have been a good substitute though, but as we all know, he's with the Bloues again.  Randy Carlyle would have been good too.  Matter of fat, at the beginning of the season, I would have bet dollars to donuts that Babcock and Carlyle would switch teams.  

When you are tripping over one another to NOT say that Blashill is the new head coach, it is a good bet that he will be the next head coach. I'm not saying they aren't tripping over one another for good reasons. Blah has a responsibility to coach those boys to the Calder first. He's keeping his head on straight, especially in light of the fact that he is THIS close to achieving his lifelong dream of being an NHL head coach.

He would have to ROYALLY screw up at this point to lose the job.

As Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "Negotiations will be short."

@minilab@SpikeDDS@jammer2@WingNut722

IF it is not Blashill, who would it be?

The Wings lost on the Babs sweepstakes, Since then, they have sat back quietly and watched Bylsma, Deboar and likely Guy Boucher come off the board. The Wings would have at least looked at one or more of these guys. Instead, they quietly are sitting back.

The absolute only one who I would even give any consideration to besides Blashill would be Tony Granato, he has head coach experience with the Avalanche and did a masterful job running the Wings special teams last year. He at least deserves an interview, no way do I let him go, I give him a fair raise to keep him as the bench coach, the senior guy to help Blashill as he breaks into the NHL.

Another guy, Paul Mclean should be considered for bench coach if Granato moves on. The Walrus had his moment with the Wings under Babs, if he could put ego aside he would be a nice fit mentoring Blash as well.

@Old School Hockey@yave1964@TropicalFruitGirl26

Yave's absolutely right. Watching these other very good coaches come off the board is a HUGE billboard in the sky saying they will be taking Jeff Blashill. The fact that they didn't even interview ANY other coaches (some former Red Wing coaches or Michigan natives with good resumes) speaks volumes.

At this point, if they DON'T take Blashill, it could possibly be the biggest front office blunder in a LONG time, and will be reported as such. Kenny Holland has taken a few hits lately being unable to land the big free agents. If he doesn't take Blashill now, he looks like a complete imbecile, which he is not. It would actually look stupid to even interview anyone else at this point, because the question would be, "If you interviewed X, why didn't you interview Mclellan/MacLean/Bylsma?" That would be a very confusing and destructive message indeed. So you can forget Hitchcock. I don't like the fit with Hitch anyway. No way it would be better than with Blashill right now.

The Fat Lady has begun singing already. This one's over, it just hasn't been announced publicly that it's over. Let the Griffin's finish their season. Then they will make the announcement.

What a week that will be for Jeff Blashill if he is to win the Calder for the second time in 3 years and then be hired as the head coach for the Detroit Red Wings. Party at Blash's. Who's going?

@SpikeDDS

Babs is looking to take his entire coaching staff, including Granato to Toronto, a mini-bidding war between the Wings and Leafs over Granato has begun, behind the scenes. I respect the job the man has done in one year in Detroit, he took an average special teams and made it a strength with everyone having a defined role. Hoping he stays in Detroit.

@SpikeDDS

Babs is looking to take his entire coaching staff, including Granato to Toronto, a mini-bidding war between the Wings and Leafs over Granato has begun, behind the scenes. I respect the job the man has done in one year in Detroit, he took an average special teams and made it a strength with everyone having a defined role. Hoping he stays in Detroit.

We are on the same page with Granato. He goes, those are big shoes to fill. He has definitely made an impact. Then again, with Renney's ineptness at the job, an average coach would still have looked better. But it will definitely hurt if Granato goes. I wonder if he feels somewhat snubbed with KH going with Blashill instead of him for the head coach job. Might be an ego hit there. Hope not. Certainly if Blash doesn't work out, him moving up a chair would be easy as an interim and probably as the next head coach. But I think Blash will be fine. He has been everywhere else he's been, both with talent and without as much, making the most of it. I think that's my favorite thing about him, and that second part is what the Wings need right now with a bit of development of those younger players too.

@WingNut722@SpikeDDS

Quotes from Wings who played for Blash:

JURCO: "Yeah, he's a really good talker and that's one of the best things about him," Jurco said. "Every time he showed me something it was like 'You are right. I can do it differently.' He just understands it so well. He knows what the players can do a little differently."

TATAR: "Players feel like they can talk to him. He's somebody who they can trust and feel good. He's really good with the players. I feel like the players can trust him. He's a really good coach."

FERRARO: "He's taken me from a guy that had the tools to get here and get a chance to someone that's actually got here," Ferraro said. "(Blashill) made it clear that I wasn't going to make it right away as a scorer and I got to make sure I'm good defensively and I made a ton of strides with him working with me the last three years."

BABCOCK: "I think the best CEOs of companies have a succession plan. I think that's what Ken Holland's done is just keep building people, developing people, giving people opportunities. This guy's ready to be an NHL coach. If he's not in Detroit he's going to be somewhere else for sure. He's trained all of these guys that are his kids."

HOLLAND: "First off, he seems to have something. He wins wherever he goes," Holland said, mentioning how Blashill got a beleaguered Western Michigan team into the NCAA tournament by quickly rebuilding that program before coming to Detroit. "Prior to that, he won a championship in Indianapolis ... The first year we hired him as coach in Grand Rapids, they won the Calder Cup."

Blashill won a Calder cup in his first year in Grand Rapids, was AHL coach of the year last year and now the Griffins are in the Western Conference finals this year. The players love him and would run through a wall for him, he Wins at every level, this is the biggest no brainer I have ever seen.

@yave1964

And let's remember what someone--I think it may have been @WingNut722--said about Babbock a while back regarding second-line players that were mired in mediocrity under Babs who have blossomed elsewhere. That is a good observation, and maybe Blashill will be able to encourage some of these guys and get more out of them than Babs was able to do with his harder style. Think of Hudler and Filpula. Perhaps with a more encouraging style, some players who need more confidence in their own game may respond better. Certainly, the young players in GR have responded and the AHL vets on that team too. Is it possible this coaching transition is just what the Wings need in the short run? And possibly even the long run?

I believe that Granato's impact has been overstated at times this year - he ran the PK well in the start of the season, but closed out ranked 17th with an 80.9% PK rate. The penalty kill regressed from what it was the year before under Renney (12th, 83%).

Jim Hiller replacing Bill Peters in running the powerplay was a much larger impact. Unfortunately, he was on a one-year contract and rumors about him already signing with the Leafs have been mentioned in recent weeks.

@yave1964

And let's remember what someone--I think it may have been @WingNut722--said about Babbock a while back regarding second-line players that were mired in mediocrity under Babs who have blossomed elsewhere. That is a good observation, and maybe Blashill will be able to encourage some of these guys and get more out of them than Babs was able to do with his harder style. Think of Hudler and Filpula. Perhaps with a more encouraging style, some players who need more confidence in their own game may respond better. Certainly, the young players in GR have responded and the AHL vets on that team too. Is it possible this coaching transition is just what the Wings need in the short run? And possibly even the long run?

That does sound familiar.  I can't remember if I fully subscribed to that theory or if it was just an observation.  I guess we'll soon see!

Archived