Who is in need of a rebuild?

TheHockeytown

I hate to disagree with you, but I watched a lot of Flyer games in the past 2 years. Mason saved their bacon on dozens of occasions. He is a really good goalie, and the Sharks would love to have him

He's "okay".  Certainly not bad, but far from elite.

TSN has him ranked 16th in their spring fantasy rankings, which are pretty fair, I'd say.  Interesting that Bernier is at the same level(he's 14th).   Apparently, Bernier's not too special.......at least that's what I heard in this thread.

;)

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=10466

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's "okay". Certainly not bad, but far from elite.

TSN has him ranked 16th in their spring fantasy rankings, which are pretty fair, I'd say. Interesting that Bernier is at the same level(he's 14th). Apparently, Bernier's not too special.......at least that's what I heard in this thread.

;)

http://www2.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=10466

Bernier has not been good. He's flat out sucked. But if Shanahan and Babcock develop a team in front of him with a solid defense he should be sufficient. It was part time duty, but he showed in LA he can get the job done with a good team and system.

The fantasy list is dangerously not a good measurement. For fantasy, Mason at 16 is about right... possibly high. With the team in front of him you're going to get beat up in wins and losses and never win in shutouts. The trade off with him in fantasy is a decent GAA and good SV% and SA.

So it's a mixed bag on fantasy and, therefore, 16 is fairly accurate. Bernier is a bad call at 14 unless he's won the job from Reiner. Just like Mason, you'll get beat up in wins and losses to not much fault of his own. You won't win shut outs. His GAA and Sv% is okay, but being part time he isn't going to be great for save volume.

I would flip them based on this past year.

I'm on my phone so I didn't click your link but if it's projecting for next year 14 over Mason may be a decent call, but I bet 14-16 is fairly close. If the Leafs are going with him as starter AND whomever did the ranking thinks Leafs defense > Flyers defense AND Babcock immediately helps with W-L, that explains the 14-16.

The past two years, Mason is the better goalie on the ice. In fantasy hockey, they are both lousy calls.

Mason was 3rd in save pct this year and 7th in GAA. He was 7th in the Vezina voting last year and should be higher this year. That's better than "ok". He's younger than Price. The Flyers have their goalie for the foreseeable future.

I get the reasoning that the rebuild might take until Mason is on the downswing. If that's the context that's fine, but if that's the context I'm not sure why goalie was listed first.

It's not in any way, shape, or form a pressing need. There are much more important things in terms of priority and chronologically.

But I also don't think this actually takes any more than three years. At thirty, the problem won't be age. The problem will be that I don't think he's signed by then.

But he is more than young enough to be good another five years or so.

Get the defense fixed and a decent first line winger while losing some dead weight by attrition and they'll be good.

It's coming.

How on earth can you say that the Sharks rebuild is "done" when they still have 35 year Joe Thornton and 35 year old Patrick Marleau on the books for two more years, and add 30 year old Joe Pavelski for 3 more years as well.  That's over 19 million bucks on three "older" guys.  In fact, the Sharks have NINE guys who are older than 30.

The Sharks also have the 24th ranked farm system, according to hockeysfuture.com.  "Rebuild complete" means the farm has been restocked...........no?

They are in need of a rebuild.  

They are not in the middle of one.

Methinks everyone has a different idea of what the word rebuild means. Completely restocking the farm? I don't see it that way. Worchester has missed the playoffs like EVERY year for the past 5 years until this year. Hockey's future never get's updated often enough. Many of our late round picks have showed unexpected promise ala Joe Pavelski. Particularly Chartier and Lebanc.

And I cannot emphasize enough the fact that the Sharks have 18.5 million in cap space lol.

Nine guys older than 30?

Ill admit. TMac seemed to be coaching scared this season. He was playing strange vets over rookies who were outplaying them. John Scott over Tierney? Hannan over Mueller who was VASTLY outplaying him? Stalock would get a shutout and then not start the next game in favor of Niemi? The pairing of Hannan/Irwin was a trainwreck all year that bled goals with a goalie behind them who could not bail them out, and our 4th line makeup was stupid whenever they played Scott or Brown over rookies. He would only trust them with 5 minutes a game instead of the customary 10-12, forcing the other lines to double shift tired and those 5 minutes were usually brutal.

Ill run through our GOOD lines at the end of this season with ages.

Karlsson 24/ Thornton 35/ Pavelski 30

Marleau 35/ Couture 25/ Nieto 22

Hertl 21/ Tierney 20/ Wingels 26

Goodrow 21/ Smith 26/ Brown 29

Torres LTIR

Vlasic 27/ Burns 29

Dillon 24/ Braun 27

Mueller 19/ Tennyson 24

Fedun 26

Stalock 27

And they just signed Donskoi, who is a kid from the Liiga league EVERYONE was trying to sign and is likely to make the team.

So yeah, Thornton and Marleau are old. However, Thornton's line was the single consistent line we had this season. Did what it always does. Thornton is showing no signs of slowing down and will probably play effectively into his 40's. Marleau definitely struggled this season. Nowhere near as much as guys like Kessel mind you, but Marleau seemed to hesitate and play tentative all season. The good thing is, his speed is not gone. His lapses this season were more mental than anything, not age taking a toll on his skating.

Where are these 9 guys over 30 you speak of?

At the end of the season, the emerging line of Hertl/Tierney/Whoever was a sight to behold. Tierney was a PPG player in the last 12 games.

In the system, we have Goldobin, who oozes Offensive talent, Kevin Lebanc, Who made such strides this season that only 5 guys outscored him, including McDavid, Strome and Marner, who are 100% surefire top 10 Draft picks this season, most top 5 and everyone thinks his strides would have turned him into a 1st round pick instead of his late blooming 6th. Chartier, who is in exactly the same boat, playing on a line with Leon Dratsaitl, another high pick, and was carrying the team before Dratsaitl was demoted this season(In fact, Kelowna fans are saying he is outplaying Dratsaitl). Jevpalovs(Another similar story), Dan O'Regan(The guy everyone is saying "Hey, who is that guy on Eichel's line? He is going to be really good too!"). On defense, Demelo, Abeltshauser, Bergman...

Yeah, our farm system is better than the outdated Hockey's future implies. Half their rankings are based on size, and today's NHL is starting to lean towards small skilled guys instead of simply size. Tyler Johnson, Nikita Kucherov types being given more and more chances and succeeding.

So yeah, all these great players in the system + young team with 18.5 Million in cap space. WIlson could efffff it up because he has shown himself to be moronic these past 11 years, but I am optimistic. Our farm is better than Toronto's and Toronto is ranked 5 spots ahead of us.

So yeah, all these great players in the system + young team with 18.5 Million in cap space. WIlson could efffff it up because he has shown himself to be moronic these past 11 years, but I am optimistic. Our farm is better than Toronto's and Toronto is ranked 5 spots ahead of us.

Not sure what this has t do with Toronto's farm system......I thought we were talking about whether or not San Jose is "rebuilt"?   The answer is that they simply are NOT.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Burns, Hannan, Brown, Neimi are all 30+.  I mistakingly thought Vlasic and Braun were 30 as well, but they're close, at 28.  The point remains the same.........how on earth is that a core that's already been "rebuilt"?  

There's no different definitions for what is a rebuild.  A rebuild is when you tear down an older team, trade away assets, and restock the farm with prospects and draft picks for the future.  San Jose hasn't done anything remotely close to that.  Toronto hasn't either.  They've only made a few small trades.  That's why I said Toronto is one of the teams in "need" of a rebuild.   So is San Jose.

And since you wanted to compare them........LOL at the comment that San Jose's prospect pool is better than Toronto's.   :) Toronto's pool is not great, but hockeysfuture.com ranks them there for a reason.  You say they don't update enough, but that means that they don't update enough for EVERYONE, not just your team.  You can name off a bunch of average prospects all you want, but that doesn't make them elite.  I could easily list all the achievements of T.O.'s gang from last year as well, but it'll just turn into a pissing match about "who's better, the 19th place system or the 24th??", so I won't.  They're BOTH sub-par.

Having said that, Toronto's prospect pool is about to get a MAJOR injection of talent, with that 4th overall, and 24th overall, and everything we get from the REAL rebuild we're about to do, so it won't even be a discussion at that point, as to whose system is the one to watch.  ;)

Not sure what this has t do with Toronto's farm system......I thought we were talking about whether or not San Jose is "rebuilt"?   The answer is that they simply are NOT.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Burns, Hannan, Brown, Neimi are all 30+.  I mistakingly thought Vlasic and Braun were 30 as well, but they're close, at 28.  The point remains the same.........how on earth is that a core that's already been "rebuilt"?  

There's no different definitions for what is a rebuild.  A rebuild is when you tear down an older team, trade away assets, and restock the farm with prospects and draft picks for the future.  San Jose hasn't done anything remotely close to that.  Toronto hasn't either.  They've only made a few small trades.  That's why I said Toronto is one of the teams in "need" of a rebuild.   So is San Jose.

And since you wanted to compare them........LOL at the comment that San Jose's prospect pool is better than Toronto's.   :) Toronto's pool is not great, but it most certainly IS ahead of San Jose's and hockeysfuture.com agrees.  You say they don't update enough, but that means that they don't update enough for EVERYONE, not just your team.  They rank T.O.'s prospects 5 places ahead of San Jose's for a reason.  You can name off a bunch of average prospects all you want, but that doesn't make them elite.  I could easily list all the achievements of T.O.'s gang from last year as well, but it'll just turn into a pissing match, so I won't.  Toronto's prospect pool is also about to get a MAJOR injection of talent, with that 4th overall, and 24th overall, and everything we get from the REAL rebuild we're about to do, so it won't even be a discussion at that point, as to whose system is the one to watch.

Sorry bud. You are dead wrong. San Jose has been trading older players and less useful players for picks for several seasons now. Murray for two 2nd round picks, Clowe for a 2nd and 3rd, Handzus for a 4th, Galiardi for a 4th, Stuart for a 2nd and 6th, Sheppard for a 4th, etc etc

While grabbing from the Euro UFA pool(Karlsson, Donskoi) and trading up or down with those picks to get the man they want, or more picks.

Teams have different meanings to the word rebuild. Just because it is not YOUR definition, does not mean it is not the right one. Your definition of rebuild seems to be a total BLOW IT UP, instead of the Detroit/San Jose versions of rebuild/retool.

No idea why you are listing Hannan, Brown and Niemi as part of the core. Brown is a 4th line tweener and Niemi and Hannan are GONE thank god since the two of them represent the worst our team had to offer last year. Two things made us miss the playoffs this season.

Niemi + Hannan + Irwin are the reason we missed the playoffs. And the growing pains of significant playing time for 6 rookies and three 2nd year guys by a coach who dislikes playing rookies over vets, all of whom grew into their roles and looked GREAT by the end of the year.

Show me another team that played 6 rookies and several 2nd year players with an awful goalie and just barely missed the playoffs?

Pavelski is 30. So what? He is still better than any player in a leafs jersey currently. A true superstar who puts up 30+ goals and 60+ points if he is playing 3rd line center, or 1st line winger. Showing no signs of slowing down. In fact, he has been getting better as he gets older. I am pretty sure any team in the league takes Pavelski over Kessel, JVR or whoever 9 times out of 10.

Burns is 30, so what? He just had his statistically best season in his career. 2nd best offensive defenseman in the league. And he had some readjusting pains since it has been 2 seasons since he played defense. But he is back on the blueline to stay and looked excellent.

Thornton is Mr. consistency and is showing no signs of slowing down. Top assist man for yet another year in his career and his line was still outstanding, despite the struggles of the lower lines.

The team's young/Mid age core of Couture, Vlasic, Hertl, Tierney, Wingels, Nieto, Mueller, Braun are doing great. Once TMac realized too late Tierney and Hertl played better together than with guys like John Scott and Desjardins, he played them together and they were playing better than any line on the Leaf squad.

But I will take that challenge. Name 5 prospects in Toronto's pool right now. I will name 5 San Jose prospects. They have to have been an NHL rookie this season or less. Check back in 3 years and see how they are doing? Why fight about personal projections when we can let our players do the talking.

Tierney, Mueller, Donskoi, Goldobin, Chartier.

So go ahead. Name 5 Leaf prospects.

OR, if you want 5 guys with zero NHL experience since Tierney and Mueller looked so damn good this season.....

Donskoi, Goldobin, Chartier, Lebanc, Jevpalovs

LOL.  No thanks.  Like I said.  It'll just be a pissing match.  

You don't think San Jose needs to rebuild.  I think many would strongly disagree, but whatever.  I won't change your mind.

All good.

:)

The average age on the team is 26.6 and the guys over 30 are still playing excellent hockey. You made it sound like it is team full of old guys who are in bad age decline ala Patrick Sharp(The oneswho were like Niemi and Hannan are gone). The only one still here who had a visibly bad season is Marleau.

We are one of the youngest teams in the league now bud and the future is bright and the older players are still contributing high level hockey. Topping it all off is the 18.5 million in cap space for us to add to the team.

And the Sharks are so good at drafting after the 1st round that finishing high every year barely hurt us

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

The average age of the Sharks is 28.348.........15th of 30 teams...........middle of the pack.  

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams

And both nhlnumbers.com and generalfanager.com say San Jose have 14 million in space.  

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/fall-team-rankings-2014-15/page/3

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2385466-re-ranking-every-nhl-teams-prospect-pool/page/6

And hockeysfuture.com lists your prospect pool ranking as 24th out of 30 teams.  Bleacherreport ranks them 26th.

Why are all these sites getting everything so wrong about your team, I wonder?  

Curious.

The average age on the team is 26.6 and the guys over 30 are still playing excellent hockey. You made it sound like it is team full of old guys who are in bad age decline ala Patrick Sharp(The oneswho were like Niemi and Hannan are gone). The only one still here who had a visibly bad season is Marleau.

We are one of the youngest teams in the league now bud and the future is bright and the older players are still contributing high level hockey. Topping it all off is the 18.5 million in cap space for us to add to the team.

And the Sharks are so good at drafting after the 1st round that finishing high every year barely hurt us

I don't think rebuild will happen, but San Jose is a team badly in need of one.

Your older guys are still playing okay but you're not going to win anything with them.  They're all pretenders.  If they can navigate the NTCs they should move these people while they can still get something of value back for them.  Sorry, I know he's your moniker, but Thornton, in particular, is a waste of cap and roster space there.   Move him if/while you can.

A new GM probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

It's okay.  Nothing wrong with realizing your team needs a rebuild.   It's not a ground up rebuild, so call it "retool" if it makes you swallow it easier.   Clearly my team is in a worse situation but may actually have a brighter future quicker.  Who knows?  It will require the correct decisions being made AND then panning out. 

I truly believe the time to act is now in San Jose.  I have no faith, however, that it will happen.  

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams

The average age of the Sharks is 28.348.........15th of 30 teams...........middle of the pack.  

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams

And both nhlnumbers.com and generalfanager.com say San Jose have 14 million in space.  

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/fall-team-rankings-2014-15/page/3

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2385466-re-ranking-every-nhl-teams-prospect-pool/page/6

And hockeysfuture.com lists your prospect pool ranking as 24th out of 30 teams.  Bleacherreport ranks them 26th.

Why are all these sites getting everything so wrong about your team, I wonder?  

Curious.

The average age NHL numbers posts includes UFA's bud. Remove Hannan, Niemi, Scott and put Torres on LTIR and do the math to get the real number.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/SJS?year=2016

General Fanager is still counting the cap as 69 million. If the players vote on the 5% escalator(Which they have done every single year and are saying they will likely do again), it goes to 71 million. They are also counting Raffi Torres's 2 million contract which is going to be sitting on LTIR like Pronger/Savard.

The bleacher report and Hockey' future rankings are based on 3 months ago. Since then, they have revised a few things.

First off, Kevin Lebanc, who if he was born 20 days later, would have gone in this years draft. The only guys outscoring him in his league this season are, McDavid(projected 1st overall), Marner(Projected 6th overall), Strome(Projected 4th overall), Dvorak(Marner's linemate and who has vastly improved from his 2nd round pick status since last year) and Blandisi(A 20 year old playing against a bunch of 17-19 year olds and said to be carried by Lebanc on that line)

For all intents and purposes, a lot of analysts are saying had Lebanc been born 20 days later, he would be going top 10 in this draft instead of late last year. most are praising what he has done with getting the chance to be the man on the team and how close he is in scoring to McDavid, Marner and Strome.

Second, Rourke Chartier. His story is similar to Lebanc's. Drafted late. Now analysts are saying he should have gone much higher. Playing on a team with Leon Dratsaitl, folks who watch the Kelowna Rockets are surprised he is outplaying Dratsaitl, who went 3rd overall last year and came to the team late after a stint with the Oilers.

https://twitter.com/DubFromAbove/status/598161590777679872

kid oozes talent.

Bleacher report gets almost all its rankings from sites like elite prospects and hockey's future. Hockey's future stubbornly refuses to update player rankings after initial projections most of the time. For example....

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/brayden_schenn/

Still an 8.5c, which is between 1st line player and elite first line player who may drop 2 spots......At this point it is safe to say Schenn's ranking should be 7b. 2nd line forward who may drop a spot.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/luke_schenn/

And Luke, still ranked 7.5a, which is a surefire 3/4 Dman, possibly higher to #2 Dman. Ask any flyer fan and he is a bottom pairing Dman, maybe 7th. He should be ranked 7.0c. 3/4 is his ceiling, but it is likely he will drop 1-2 spots to bottom pairing/7th dman.

These are guys who have graduated to the NHL with 4-7 pro years under their belt and we KNOW what they can do. Hockey's future rarely updates ANYTHING after initial drafting, and the raking system is based on prospect pool averages.

In the leafs system

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/toronto_maple_leafs/

Nylander is the only guy ranked above 7.0. he is sitting at an 8.0c. Ceiling of first line player, but may drop 2 spots to 3rd line player.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/san_jose_sharks/

The sharks have 5 prospects ranked 7.5, which is higher than the leafs 2nd best prospect after Nylander. The leafs have more quantity in their system, but our NHL caliber quality is higher and several guys who would be ranked MUCH higher if HF would ever revise their initial rankings like Lebanc and Chartier and Donskoi, Who was 1 in 5 on 5 scoring in the Liiga league, and was smothered with NHL contract offers after this WC where he was a point per game player.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/san_jose_sharks/

The sharks have 5 prospects ranked 7.5, which is higher than the leafs 2nd best prospect after Nylander. The leafs have more quantity in their system, but our NHL caliber quality is higher and several guys who would be ranked MUCH higher if HF would ever revise their initial rankings like Lebanc and Chartier and Donskoi, Who was 1 in 5 on 5 scoring in the Liiga league, and was smothered with NHL contract offers after this WC where he was a point per game player.

LOL.  You note that Nylander could drop a few ratings, but you fail to note that two of your "7.5's" have that big D beside their score.  

D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings – a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player's potential is extremely fluid.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/05/tsp-nhl-organizational-prospect-rankings-30-21/

Here's another site that lists your prospects pool as 26th out of 30.  That's three now, that all say the same thing.  Sorry, but you've got it backwards.  Your prospect pool is actually LACKING NHL-ready/calibre prospects, which is why it's rated in the bottom 5 or 6 by so many.  You keep arguing as if you know better than all these folks, but you do not.  

The Leafs pool is not great.  I never said it was.  But Nylander is indeed one of the top prospects in the NHL right now, Connor Brown also cracks the top-50 according to hockeysfuture, and they have very good depth on D, even if those two-way D prospects are not "elite".  San Jose simply does not have all that.

Is San Jose the better team right now?  Sure.  But they are aging, even if you won't admit it, and they are NOT close to any cups, so all those 30+ roster players will not be helping them win Cups any time soon.  They will need a new generation of players to do that.  And right now, without a proper rebuild, they are NOT going to be getting any special new players coming up.........just a bunch of 3rd and 2nd liners.

Hey, I don't care if you guys rebuild or not.  Don't.  I sure hope MY team does.

LOL.  You note that Nylander could drop a few ratings, but you fail to note that two of your "7.5's" have that big D beside their score.  

D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings – a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player's potential is extremely fluid.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/05/tsp-nhl-organizational-prospect-rankings-30-21/

Here's another site that lists your prospects pool as 26th out of 30.  That's three now, that all say the same thing.  Sorry, but you've got it backwards.  Your prospect pool is actually LACKING NHL-ready/calibre prospects, which is why it's rated in the bottom 5 or 6 by so many.  You keep arguing as if you know better than all these folks, but you do not.  

The Leafs pool is not great.  I never said it was.  But Nylander is indeed one of the top prospects in the NHL right now, Connor Brown also cracks the top-50 according to hockeysfuture, and they have very good depth on D, even if those two-way D prospects are not "elite".  San Jose simply does not have all that.

Is San Jose the better team right now?  Sure.  But they are aging, even if you won't admit it, and they are NOT close to any cups, so all those 30+ roster players will not be helping them win Cups any time soon.  They will need a new generation of players to do that.  And right now, without a proper rebuild, they are NOT going to be getting any special new players coming up.........just a bunch of 3rd and 2nd liners.

Hey, I don't care if you guys rebuild or not.  Don't.  I sure hope MY team does.

If you are so confident, list the 5 prospects to go head to head with my 5 prospects son :)

See where they are in 3 years.

Tierney, Mueller, Goldobin, Donskoi, Chartier.

You keep throwing the LOL out, but won't commit to any prospects in your pool. I will. I have watched them play and confidently know their worth.

It will just be a pissing match

Translated. I have no confidence in the leafs prospects

If you are so confident, list the 5 prospects to go head to head with my 5 prospects son :)

See where they are in 3 years.

Tierney, Mueller, Goldobin, Donskoi, Chartier.

You keep throwing the LOL out, but won't commit to any prospects in your pool. I will. I have watched them play and confidently know their worth.

Translated. I have no confidence in the leafs prospects

Whatever.

Nylander > Tierney 

No contest here.  Nylander is easily in the top-15 for NHL prospects.  He wins this one.

Mueller > Finn

Finn has struggled to adapt to the pro game a bit, so Mueller squeaks this one out.......barely.

Brown > Goldobin 

Brown is another in the NHL's top-50.  128 points in 68 games in the OHL his last year, and led the Marlies in scoring this year......He blows your guy away.

Donskoi = Leivo

Not much of difference here.  Two fairly average prospects.  At least Leivo has some NHL experience.

Gauthier > Chartier 

Gauthier has already played for Team Canada in the Jr's and is dominating the Q, as a shut-down Centre.  A man among boys.

.... (piiiiiissssss)

There.  You happy?

Whatever.

Nylander > Tierney 

No contest here.  Nylander is easily in the top-15 for NHL prospects.  He wins this one.

Mueller > Finn

Finn has struggled to adapt to the pro game a bit, so Mueller squeaks this one out.......barely.

Brown > Goldobin 

Brown is another in the NHL's top-50.  128 points in 68 games in the OHL his last year, and led the Marlies in scoring this year......He blows your guy away.

Donskoi = Leivo

Not much of difference here.  Two fairly average prospects.  At least Leivo has some NHL experience.

Gauthier > Chartier 

Gauthier has already played for Team Canada in the Jr's and is dominating the Q, as a shut-down Centre.  A man among boys.

.... (piiiiiissssss)

There.  You happy?

see? that was easy :P

Now we can comfortably watch them grow over the next few years and see who becomes NHL talent :P

Competition makes things much more fun :P

@J0e Th0rnton

If you think Lebanc was carrying Blandisi, sorry, but you're dead wrong. Not to take anything away from Lebanc, because he is a very nice prospect, but Blandisi was the man on the Colts this year. 

Going mostly by what I read in the colts forums. Most claim Blandisi is only accomplishing his feats because he is a big 20-21 year old overager playing vs kids, while Lebanc is their age doing it despite his size disadvantage and is truly good individually. I spent more time watching the Kelowna Rockets and Chartier to be honest, but I have to rely on what people who watch the games write.

Colorado drafted Blandisi and cut him loose because he is not likely to be NHL caliber and the devils picked him up hoping to turn him into a bottom 6 guy, but even they are not excited about him because he is an overager.

@J0e Th0rnton

Blandisi really broke out this year...yes he's an overager, and yes Lebanc is younger. I'm just clarifying as a Colts fan and regular at games that there's no way Lebanc carried Blandisi...all 3 benefitted from the talent on the line but Blandisi was the catalyst.

@J0e Th0rnton

Blandisi really broke out this year...yes he's an overager, and yes Lebanc is younger. I'm just clarifying as a Colts fan and regular at games that there's no way Lebanc carried Blandisi...all 3 benefitted from the talent on the line but Blandisi was the catalyst.

Alrighty. ill have to take your word for it. Just from what I read from other colts watchers, Blandisi was able to use his growth and size advantage to maximize his use against smaller opponents and it will not likely translate to the NHL because he is only big compared to the kids in that league, while Lebanc was able to use shiftiness and skill to outsmart opponents

Huh, what list are you looking at? There is a real good chance Brown is a total bust.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/122787/top-50-nhl-prospects-anthony-duclair-heads-41-50-group-in-spring-rankings/#/slide/2

Hockeysfuture.com's spring rankings.  Connor Brown is in at number 49.  

And of course he could still bust.  All prospects can.  But he's been doing well, and made their top-50.

49.  Connor Brown, W. Toronto Maple Leafs

Diminutive winger Connor Brown was the biggest surprise in the Toronto Maple Leafs organization this season, and in fact was one of the few bright spots. An All-Star in junior who had recorded 128 points in 68 games the year prior, expectations remained relatively low given his stature and the fact he recorded those numbers playing alongside super-phenom Connor McDavid (2015). Yet, in his rookie season in the AHL, Brown led all Toronto Marlies scorers with 61 points in 76 games, while posting an impressive +24 rating. Playing with a rotating cast of linemates that often included Ryan Rupert and William Nylander, Brown was able to push the pace of play frequently. The fact that he was able to stay healthy throughout the course of the season playing against grown men is another great sign for the organization and Brown’s durability. 

but as a FA 

Alrighty. ill have to take your word for it. Just from what I read from other colts watchers, Blandisi was able to use his growth and size advantage to maximize his use against smaller opponents and it will not likely translate to the NHL because he is only big compared to the kids in that league, while Lebanc was able to use shiftiness and skill to outsmart opponents

Blandisi is about an average sized player, if not a little on the small side. Lebanc is smaller, but younger. Blandisi's biggest advantage is his speed and skill, not size. I'm not sure if Blandisi makes the NHL, but as an FA signing, worth what little risk there is. Lebanc is a good prospect. I'm not trying to knock him here at all, he's a very good player. I'd take him as a prospect over Blandisi, but that's an age thing/higher ceiling. If I wanted a player for a 7 game series right now, I'd take Blandisi.

Archived