Blues tell Jackman thanks but no thanks

Many Blues' fans are eagerly waiting for the end of the finals and the start of the draft, not for the new players drafted, but for what players might be leaving. Today the first "core" player has fallen, the Blues has notified Barrett Jackman that they will not be resigning him and he will be a UFA. 

Even though many people have mixed feelings on Jackman, but, no matter if you like him or not, he played with heart that you wish every  player played with. he is a gritty stay at home D man. But, in the great scheme of things, I think this makes perfect hockey sense, The Blues are letting go of the team's longest tenured player, to make room for new blood to step in the back end. I look forward to seeing if Jackman catches on somewhere and what he does with his next chance. 

@stlbluesfan4ever

I watched a fair amount of Blues hockey this year for Tarasenko and Schwartz, I always pay attention to dmen especially as well. It seemed to me that Jackman had lost a step and more importantly his desire to hit which was always part of his persona. You simply didnt want to go into the corners with him in years past, Pronger had taught him well. This year it looked as if time has finally caught up with him.

Jackman will still be a good stay at home defender for a young team that needs depth and leadership. I think Edmonton could be a fine landing spot for him. Maybe on a two year deal. 

Side note, that 1999 draft,  outside of the Sedin twins and Havlat was absolute garbage. 

Jackman will still be a good stay at home defender for a young team that needs depth and leadership. I think Edmonton could be a fine landing spot for him. Maybe on a two year deal. 

Side note, that 1999 draft,  outside of the Sedin twins and Havlat was absolute garbage. 

Normally, when I see a blanket statement like the above, I tend to think it's exaggeration or someone simply not giving enough credit, but I looked for myself, and I gotta say @Bertmega , you told no lies on that!

Wow.....

Some of those names that went 1st round...hard to believe they did...but then again, when you look at what was drafted the 2nd round and beyond, things weren't much better there.

Yikes.

Of course, a guy like HJ will tell you gold was struck in the 5th round when Ryan Miller was taken...   :ph34r:

@stlbluesfan4ever

I watched a fair amount of Blues hockey this year for Tarasenko and Schwartz, I always pay attention to dmen especially as well. It seemed to me that Jackman had lost a step and more importantly his desire to hit which was always part of his persona. You simply didnt want to go into the corners with him in years past, Pronger had taught him well. This year it looked as if time has finally caught up with him.

Yes, when the stay at home types lose a step, it can get ugly REAL fast.

Yes, when the stay at home types lose a step, it can get ugly REAL fast.

Quote for truth.

I can tell Scott Hannan can still think the game and knows where he needs to be(He was one of the best defensive Dmen in the league once). But it is awful to watch. His reaction time and skating has taken an age nosedive.

Archived