Beleskey appears headed for free agency

ScottM

Matt_Beleskey_FreeAgent.jpg

It appears that Matt Beleskey will, at the very least, test the free agency waters. He doubled his career high goal output this past season, and had a strong postseason. He picked a good time for that, obviously. How much do you think he will be able to command in the free agent market, and what where do you think he'll end up?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25221785/report-ducks-f-matt-beleskey-expected-to-test-free-agency

I see him as a Colby Armstrong type who is hitting free agency at the right time. He can score a bit and sits up in front of the net. He can play on any line and was used that way by Boudreau.

My guess is he will get overpaid, someone will offer something along the lines of 4.5 to 5 million a year on a four year deal. For a guy who had a career high of 32 points last year. Someone is going to get really, really stupid and regret it a year in.

My bet is the Coyotes. They are in a position where they have to spend 17 million just to get to the cap floor. They will probably sign four vets at 4 million plus to get it done. Beleskey will be one of them.

I see him as a Colby Armstrong type who is hitting free agency at the right time. He can score a bit and sits up in front of the net. He can play on any line and was used that way by Boudreau.

My guess is he will get overpaid, someone will offer something along the lines of 4.5 to 5 million a year on a four year deal. For a guy who had a career high of 32 points last year. Someone is going to get really, really stupid and regret it a year in.

My bet is the Coyotes. They are in a position where they have to spend 17 million just to get to the cap floor. They will probably sign four vets at 4 million plus to get it done. Beleskey will be one of them.

I agree with you there, and I imagine that it will be Beleskey regretting it more than anyone else if he goes to a team that is a perennial struggler ( I think I just made up a word) . He performed well on a team laden with talent, but he was riding the coattails, not wearing them. But I'm afraid that he may have already over played his hand.

I thought he looked pretty good in the playoffs, but agree with the others here.  His situation has a David Clarkson kind of feel to it, i know he's younger but is of a similar ilk, played well with very good players, plays with toughness.  He's a guy that's good to have on your hockey team i think he's going to make big bank and the team will be praying for a buyout... 

Belesky is one of the best goal scorers in this years very limited UFA list. He's gonna get paid large. Thing is, he is no guarantee to produce. For sure, he will need talented players to surround him, cause he does not create offense on his own much, he needs talent to set him up. Some will scoff, but I believe he gets about 6.5 mill a year for 5 years. That is how desperate teams are to add offense through UFA, he probably only deserves 5 mill or less, but the fact this years crop of UFA is so thin on offense, he will benefit greatly from the lack of depth this year.

Yeah Belesky will get 5mil plus with a 5yr deal probably, there's always desperate GM's in free agency. He's nice player but dam that's an awful lot for a guy with no track record before this season. Belesky to me is like a 3rd line player who can spot up in the top 6 when need be.

Belesky is one of the best goal scorers in this years very limited UFA list. He's gonna get paid large. Thing is, he is no guarantee to produce. For sure, he will need talented players to surround him, cause he does not create offense on his own much, he needs talent to set him up. Some will scoff, but I believe he gets about 6.5 mill a year for 5 years. That is how desperate teams are to add offense through UFA, he probably only deserves 5 mill or less, but the fact this years crop of UFA is so thin on offense, he will benefit greatly from the lack of depth this year.

$6.5 million per year???

That would be insane. He's good, but he's not that good!

Archived