Rinaldo Traded to Boston for 2017 3rd Rounder

AJgoal

Sad day in Flyerland, Rinaldo will be missed on the ice. No more Richards, no more Pronger, only Simmer remains and he can't be burdened with it all.

The return was not the problem, we lost a player who bled Orange, who's favorite player growing up was Lindros and tried to hit like him.

We have several role players, but none that hit like Rino'. None that put fear in the oposition. I remember them playoffs against Jersey when we were getting our asses handed to us and then Rinaldo was back in the lineup, putting Jersey back in their place, he changed the whole composition of the game and brought our respectability back, especially with that solid check he and Coots laid out for payback on Jersey's cheapshot.

Where did all the Flyer Cowboys gooo? .....yippeeyoo..yippeeyaay....yippeeyooo..yippeeyay!

I liked Rinaldo when he first came up.  Kind of the untamed stallion thing.  It was fun to see him hit and to see the energy.  He's had a few class moments where he's stopped throwing when a guy was helpless or wounded, or checking to see if someone was alright, etc.    But he was also reckless and prone to utter stupidity.  It actually was to the point where it didn't matter what he did, he was going to get a penalty just for entering the building.    That's not a good thing on a team whose penalty kill simply isn't very good.

It was time for him to move on.   If he'd ever had added actual skill, there might have been a trade off, but he didn't.

HOWEVER, while I don't think we need the "goons" anymore, I do think the Flyers sorely miss the Hartnell/Downie/Rinaldo "type" that have some sandpaper and character and can get under the other team's skin.  The Penguins/Flyers games were case study for the lack of this.  Those games just didn't have the same circus atmosphere that was always fun.  Largely because both teams had lost those character guys (those I mentioned on the Flyers, and then Talbot, Kennedy, Cooke, etc.).   

I want the Flyers to do what they need to do to actually WIN.  But I do mourn the loss of some of the entertainment factor that I used to find fun.

he changed the whole composition of the game and brought our respectability back

Using the definition I would typically ascribe to it, I don't think "respectability" is word I would use in a sentence with Rinaldo.  But if by that you mean it in an "accountability" kind of way ("you take liberties with my guy, I'm going to take your head off!"), then yeah.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked Rinaldo when he first came up. Kind of the untamed stallion thing. It was fun to see him hit and to see the energy. He's had a few class moments where he's stopped throwing when a guy was helpless or wounded, or checking to see if someone was alright, etc. But he was also reckless and prone to utter stupidity. It actually was to the point where it didn't matter what he did, he was going to get a penalty just for entering the building. That's not a good thing on a team whose penalty kill simply isn't very good.

It was time for him to move on. If he'd ever had added actual skill, there might have been a trade off, but he didn't.

HOWEVER, while I don't think we need the "goons" anymore, I do think the Flyers sorely miss the Hartnell/Downie/Rinaldo "type" that have some sandpaper and character and can get under the other team's skin. The Penguins/Flyers games were case study for the lack of this. Those games just didn't have the same circus atmosphere that was always fun. Largely because both teams had lost those character guys (those I mentioned on the Flyers, and then Talbot, Kennedy, Cooke, etc.).

I want the Flyers to do what they need to do to actually WIN. But I do mourn the loss of some of the entertainment factor that I used to find fun.

Using the definition I would typically ascribe to it, I don't think "respectability" is word I would use in a sentence with Rinaldo. But if by that you mean it in an "accountability" kind of way ("you take liberties with my guy, I'm going to take your head off!"), then yeah.

I agree with building the roster to win, but would you be okay with a boring Cup champion? To me, the Flyers are entertainment. I want them to win it all, but I also want to enjoy most of their games along the way.

Man that felt weird typing that.

To me, the Flyers are entertainment. I want them to win it all, but I also want to enjoy most of their games along the way.

Yeah, I was struggling with that idea while I was typing. I was specifically wondering whether I would have been ecstatic as a Devils fan watching the Cup wins or if I would have been bored to tears.

I think the answer is that with a team that is actually capable of winning the Cup in today's NHL, the winning kind of takes care of the entertainment.  I guess by that, if the team is winning it somehow HAS to be entertaining along the way.  It probably won't be the old line brawls and stuff of the yesteryear, but if it's high speed skating, etc., like I got to see in the western finals and the Cup finals this year, I'm good with the entertainment 

Sad day in Flyerland, Rinaldo will be missed on the ice. No more Richards, no more Pronger, only Simmer remains and he can't be burdened with it all.

The return was not the problem, we lost a player who bled Orange, who's favorite player growing up was Lindros and tried to hit like him.

We have several role players, but none that hit like Rino'. None that put fear in the oposition. I remember them playoffs against Jersey when we were getting our asses handed to us and then Rinaldo was back in the lineup, putting Jersey back in their place, he changed the whole composition of the game and brought our respectability back, especially with that solid check he and Coots laid out for payback on Jersey's cheapshot.

Where did all the Flyer Cowboys gooo? .....yippeeyoo..yippeeyaay....yippeeyooo..yippeeyay!

Reported!

I agree with building the roster to win, but would you be okay with a boring Cup champion? To me, the Flyers are entertainment. I want them to win it all, but I also want to enjoy most of their games along the way.

Man that felt weird typing that.

Flyers would have had a Cup i believe with Mason in 2010. I really believe that. But we'll never know. Hell to have gotten that far with Leighton and Boosch...

Flyers would have had a Cup i believe with Mason in 2010. I really believe that. But we'll never know. Hell to have gotten that far with Leighton and Boosch...

Hell, if Boosh doesn't get hurt it still may have happened.

Yeah, I was struggling with that idea while I was typing. I was specifically wondering whether I would have been ecstatic as a Devils fan watching the Cup wins or if I would have been bored to tears.

In this case, the end most certainly justifies the means. Just hoist it up, don't care how it gets done. If it's a laid back, wait for your opponent to make a mistake kinda thing, they don't engrave the names any lighter. I'll take a parade over entertaining any day of the year.

In this case, the end most certainly justifies the means. Just hoist it up, don't care how it gets done. If it's a laid back, wait for your opponent to make a mistake kinda thing, they don't engrave the names any lighter. I'll take a parade over entertaining any day of the year.

Yeah, that's where I'm at. The winning will be its own entertainment.

Archived