Flyers Keep Gagner

Mad Dog

The risk of investing in him and committing a salary cap space to his contract.

He's 25, averages 42 points a season (more than anyone else they have tried at 2nd line center), and has done that while on some of the worst teams in the modern era. He is, for lack of a better word, proven (at a certain level). Risk? If anything, he is a pretty safe investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam is a talent that will produce , he has been kicked around a bit for a young player. However if he can regain some confidence by management putting confidence in him then he'll be a solid second line player.

Doubters I believe will end up being pleasantly surprised come seasons end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If nothing else maybe he can earn the Flyers a few points in the shootouts and actually get some goals that leads to wins...

maybe we could see this again with G and Jake.....

@jammer2

Oh look a good call on my part......way back in July!!!! :thumbsu:

**backing self on the back**  :ph34r:

Good call...........................i hoped it would...now we get to add another to the highlight reel!!!

I have always thought that Sam would be the perfect addition to the G and V line. When you take a respectable 45-50 pointish like Gagner and surround him with immense talent, you usually get a 70-75 point guy. I think the reason they don't do this is because Raffl's offensive value take a big hit if he is off the top line. Thing is, you should go out of the way to let creativity and scoring prowess play together. When you have a team that is troubled offensively, the extra 15 or so extra goals it would generate would come in real handy. If Raffl's value falls off the turnip truck, so be it...but put your most creative guys together.

@AlaskaFlyerFan   It was a informative article.....I found this part interesting....

"Gagner’s career splits show a slow starter that gets stronger in each passing month – with the exception of April, which hosts the fewest regular season games of any month throughout the season.

Here is the breakdown:

• October: 7 Goals, 20 Assists – 27 Points
  • Novembver: 12 Goals, 29 Assists – 41 Points
  • December: 18 Goals, 33 Assists – 51 Points
  • January: 18 Goals, 40 Assists – 58 Points
  • February: 23 Goals, 39 Assists – 62 Points
  • March: 31 Goals, 48 Assists – 79 Points
  • April: 7 Goals, 11 Assists – 18 Points

Against new division rival Columbus, Gagner has deposited 10 goals and 15 assists for 25 points in 26 games. This serves as the best measurement against divisional opponents since the Blue Jackets were part of the Western Conference up until the 2013-14 season."

There is some head scratching monthly breakdowns right there. Besides the slow start in October all the other months are very productive. Of course his April numbers are down, there is only 7-10 calendar days and 3-5 games in April before the playoff start.

Just thinking out loud, there are lots of reasons why a guy traditionally starts slow and picks it up as the season wears on....one of them is coming to camp in poor cardio vascular shape....hopefully, this is not the case with Sam. Wow, he has monster months in Feb and March, very nice.

I like the idea that Sam lights it up when facing the Jackets....we will be seeing enough of them all year long....and they seem more vulnerable than ever on defense and in net.

@AlaskaFlyerFan   It was a informative article.....I found this part interesting....

"Gagner’s career splits show a slow starter that gets stronger in each passing month – with the exception of April, which hosts the fewest regular season games of any month throughout the season.

Here is the breakdown:

• October: 7 Goals, 20 Assists – 27 Points
  • Novembver: 12 Goals, 29 Assists – 41 Points
  • December: 18 Goals, 33 Assists – 51 Points
  • January: 18 Goals, 40 Assists – 58 Points
  • February: 23 Goals, 39 Assists – 62 Points
  • March: 31 Goals, 48 Assists – 79 Points
  • April: 7 Goals, 11 Assists – 18 Points

Against new division rival Columbus, Gagner has deposited 10 goals and 15 assists for 25 points in 26 games. This serves as the best measurement against divisional opponents since the Blue Jackets were part of the Western Conference up until the 2013-14 season."

There is some head scratching monthly breakdowns right there. Besides the slow start in October all the other months are very productive. Of course his April numbers are down, there is only 7-10 calendar days and 3-5 games in April before the playoff start.

Just thinking out loud, there are lots of reasons why a guy traditionally starts slow and picks it up as the season wears on....one of them is coming to camp in poor cardio vascular shape....hopefully, this is not the case with Sam. Wow, he has monster months in Feb and March, very nice.

I like the idea that Sam lights it up when facing the Jackets....we will be seeing enough of them all year long....and they seem more vulnerable than ever on defense and in net.

I wouldn't mind now seeing Gagner on G and Jake's wing now with Raffl out.

I guess this will mean Vinny gets in?

Or with Neuwy IR'd could they now afford to call someone up?

Not sure....i'd recall Cousins before putting Vinny in....i think the longer they play around him and let him sit and rot the better chances of making him mad and him accepting a trade anywhere out of town........that is IF someone wants him.

Here is the breakdown:
October: 7 Goals, 20 Assists – 27 Points
Novembver: 12 Goals, 29 Assists – 41 Points
December: 18 Goals, 33 Assists – 51 Points
January: 18 Goals, 40 Assists – 58 Points
February: 23 Goals, 39 Assists – 62 Points
March: 31 Goals, 48 Assists – 79 Points
April: 7 Goals, 11 Assists – 18 Points

That is a good time to be getting hot.

Not sure....i'd recall Cousins before putting Vinny in....i think the longer they play around him and let him sit and rot the better chances of making him mad and him accepting a trade anywhere out of town........that is IF someone wants him.

Same here, I'd MUCH rather see Cousins called up from the Phantoms than have Vinny inserted into the line-up. I'm sure Vinny would think giving a rook the nod over him would be a huge slap in the face, and that is exact desired effect, it would motivate him to get out of town and put his all behind him. Realistically, we would have to eat probably almost half of his salary, but that is better than the full hit and him fetching Oval Redenbaucher.

Cousins has really progressed since he turned pro, he deserves a call up to the bigs.

Same here, I'd MUCH rather see Cousins called up from the Phantoms than have Vinny inserted into the line-up. I'm sure Vinny would think giving a rook the nod over him would be a huge slap in the face, and that is exact desired effect, it would motivate him to get out of town and put his all behind him. Realistically, we would have to eat probably almost half of his salary, but that is better than the full hit and him fetching Oval Redenbaucher.

Cousins has really progressed since he turned pro, he deserves a call up to the bigs.

Yeah looking at the cap website they only have 70K in capspace i guess because Labarbera is the backup.

That sucks.

Archived