Flyers Keep Gagner

Mad Dog

Fine with me, he's a talented, young player who's been in Edmonton  hockey hell his whole professional career, and he isn't that much of a financial commitment. I say give him a chance.

I wonder how Gagner feels when hextall goes out in media and says "we'll see if we keep him" i just dont get this trade. I love the fact that we cleared cap but on the other hand Grossman is 3.5 and Gagner 3.3. I think Grossman is a better player or atleast a more important one becouse he adds warrior-attitude to the defense. And he is a good player. Getting a player like Gagner who hasnt been good since he joined the league 8 years ago is taking a big chance. I hate taking chances like this BUT i have faith in Hextall so I guess he see something i dont.

I wonder how Gagner feels when hextall goes out in media and says "we'll see if we keep him" i just dont get this trade. I love the fact that we cleared cap but on the other hand Grossman is 3.5 and Gagner 3.3. I think Grossman is a better player or atleast a more important one becouse he adds warrior-attitude to the defense. And he is a good player. Getting a player like Gagner who hasnt been good since he joined the league 8 years ago is taking a big chance. I hate taking chances like this BUT i have faith in Hextall so I guess he see something i dont.

He sees that we are weak at forward and have way too many defensemen clogging up the progress of some prospects. And Tampa pays part of Gagner's salary. Really a can't lose proposition.

Why not...see what you got in the kid, he was drafted #6 overall for some reason.  Who would they sign with the cap room they'll save that has more upside.  If it works out, keep him or trade at deadline for a pick.

Does he have any relationship with new coach Hakstol?  Thought I saw that somewhere.

Take a look at Sam's stats, very...very odd. His best year to date was his rookie year, which hardly ever happens. Yeah, he has been in the league for 8 years, but important to point out, he is still only 25 years old. Another thing to take into account, for most of his stay on Edmonton, he was second or third line center most of the time. For many of those years, the Oilers top line was devoid of talent, much less the 2nd or 3rd lines. He has never played in a sound structured system, he has bounced from head coach to head coach on Edmonton, never having the chance to settle in and learn one system. In Philly, regardless of his linemates, he will be playing with the most talent he has ever been around.

Just my theory, but I believe he was none a disservice by rushing him into the NHL as a 18 year old. In his one year on the OHL, he has 118 pts in 59 games. He needed one, maybe two more years of dominating at the junior level. He never got the chance, he was rushed into the NHL well before he was ready.

One thing he has shown, he is almost guaranteed to score 40 pts, his past history shows up that....BUT, on the Flyers, with the right linemates, it is possible he could move up the ladder, maybe even 10 or 15 more points, depending on where he is slotted.

This is a good solid move and I believe he *knows* this is his one chance to make things right, to rejuvenate a dying career. I say he buys into Hakstols system and thrives in it. I like this move.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=93938

As mentioned, kind of like MDZ. Best years were the early years and now face the possibility of being out of the nhl if something doesn't change.

I like this option better that throwing money at an FA looking to cash in.

As mentioned, kind of like MDZ. Best years were the early years and now face the possibility of being out of the nhl if something doesn't change.

I like this option better that throwing money at an FA looking to cash in.

If the guy is not motivated to kick some arse this year, he never will be....on a one year deal with his entire career hanging in the balance. If he fails to impress the Flyers, he is looking at a life of riding buses in the AHL....AND if he does impress, he has a chance to be part of an up and coming team and cash in with a multi year deal....lot's of  motovation to have a career year.

The only part of the equation that I'm unsure of is his skating. From what I remember, he's not exactly the road runner....lol. Not brutally slow, but not a burner by any means. I don't think this fits Hakstols vision for a forward, but hey....nice hands and smarts can overcome that kinda thing....as long as he is dedicated to back checking ....that will be a MUST for him...and he has not historically been great at that.

If the guy is not motivated to kick some arse this year, he never will be....on a one year deal with his entire career hanging in the balance. If he fails to impress the Flyers, he is looking at a life of riding buses in the AHL....AND if he does impress, he has a chance to be part of an up and coming team and cash in with a multi year deal....lot's of motovation to have a career year.

The only part of the equation that I'm unsure of is his skating. From what I remember, he's not exactly the road runner....lol. Not brutally slow, but not a burner by any means. I don't think this fits Hakstols vision for a forward, but hey....nice hands and smarts can overcome that kinda thing....as long as he is dedicated to back checking ....that will be a MUST for him...and he has not historically been great at that.

Thanks for that insight about him. Honestly don't know much other than he has bounced around his young career BUT consistently scoring forty as a young player and being picked ahead of our top RW Jake is worth the year gamble.

Hextall is gambling but for what he moved in salary... His pactience could turn into a solid reward

Maybe not a top liner but solid skill guy that can move up....,.,gagner meet Hakstol. Impress him or kiss your nhl career goodbye!

If nothing else maybe he can earn the Flyers a few points in the shootouts and actually get some goals that leads to wins...

maybe we could see this again with G and Jake.....

I remember a certain Flyer with the same name that was drafted as a C and played a dominant LW. Wonder if Raffl would be willing to give up his number?

Everyone keeps saying he can't play anymore...but the last time he was here he helped improve the team and also ruin a top 5 draft pick...

I remember a certain Flyer with the same name that was drafted as a C and played a dominant LW. Wonder if Raffl would be willing to give up his number?

And take away Gagner's "R" :hocky:

Lets deploy a little reverse psychology comparison here......

We Flyer fans are always carrying on about young players the team has jettisoned way too soon. Its possible we have stumbled into a gem that got tarnished playing too long in Turdville. Coots was drafted 8th overall and had 2, 96 point seasons in Juniors. His offensive skill is questioned because of his role in Philly. Maybe Gagne will turn it around here.

...and he should wear #12

Archived