NHL.com's top 20 free agents....

All I have to say is...thank GOD that Homer is not in charge. He would have a field day picking through this motley crew. What a STINKY year for UFA's....some of the money these bums are gonna get will be HILARIOUS!!  Let's hope a bunch of division rivals take the nestea plunge and screw their cap for years to come!!!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=773009&navid=nhl:topheads

HA HA.....some SUCKER of a team is gonna give Cody Franson 7 mill for 5 or 6 years.....LMAO!!!!  There will be several teams that totally screw their cap situation. Nice to be on the laughing end and watch a bunch of teams pull a "Homer".

Which IDIOT GM is gonna give the steadily declining Mike Green 6 or 7 mill until he is 45 years old???

Frolik is a questionable top 6 talent that is going to be financially secure in a few short hours!!

That will come down to the Sharks or Wings i think....

I think the Wings interest in Green is a smokescreen, to allow them to target the guy they really want (whoever that may be) while throwing off other potential suitors.

I think the Wings interest in Green is a smokescreen, to allow them to target the guy they really want (whoever that may be) while throwing off other potential suitors.

It could but i don't tbink it is i have read all year how the need a right hand shot for the blueline...so it's either him or Franson...i don't think the Wings will go after Franson....i think it will be Green.

It could but i don't tbink it is i have read all year how the need a right hand shot for the blueline...so it's either him or Franson...i don't think the Wings will go after Franson....i think it will be Green.

That is like choosing between syphilis and gonorrhea.....LMAO! 

HA HA.....some SUCKER of a team is gonna give Cody Franson 7 mill for 5 or 6 years.....LMAO!!!!  There will be several teams that totally screw their cap situation. Nice to be on the laughing end and watch a bunch of teams pull a "Homer".

Which IDIOT GM is gonna give the steadily declining Mike Green 6 or 7 mill until he is 45 years old???

Frolik is a questionable top 6 talent that is going to be financially secure in a few short hours!!

You know what? We have the cap space to improve via UFA. USE IT.

Personally, I want Sekera or Green. Anything more than 6 million sucks, but we have the space and will for years. We are in great shape.

Last year everyone complained Stralman was not worth 4.5. Niskanen not worth 5.75, Orpik not worth 5.5. yet all those trades worked out so far for the teams they went to.

Frolik is more than points. He is a 5 on 5 possession driving 40 point forward who can play LW, C or RW, is excellent defensively, kills penalties and can jump in on the 2nd PP unit. I would happily give him 4.75-5.25 million.

Beleskey is a kettle of a different color. He looks like the Clarkson of this years UFA class. But he has a specific niche skillset of speedy physical forecheck and driving the net. One that would absolutely mesh with Joe Thornton's line. But not one I want to overpay for. I don't particularly think Beleskey is worth more than 4 million.

Neither should be Wilson's target until a Dman is locked up.

Green? Just scored 45 points on the 3rd pairing with reduced PP time and is a hell of a dynamic player with the man advantage. Hell yeah I would take him on the sharks. Our alternative is Tennyson right now. Only Burns creates any sort of offense on the blueline for us. We NEED another guy like him and we have the defensive Dmen to pair with him.

Franson is the other available. I think he is going to get overpaid yes. but realistically, he could fill a niche skill. Bottom pairing right side Dman who can play the 2nd pp unit. I don't want to see him for more than 5 million though.

Sekera is the best UFA dman available IMO. But he is a lefty. If we lock him up, we may as well trade Mirco Mueller for a righty like Spurgeon.

Sharks have 11 million in cap space. Next season, the only RFA's in need of an extension are Hertl and Nieto, and at that point, Demers retained money is gone, Torres(Who is on LTIR anyways) gone, Brown and Smith gone, freeing up 3.75 mill more cap space. For whatever reason, I think Nieto will be traded. We have a TON of middle 6 prospects, some of whom will make the team.

The year after that, we are still in good shape as some of the older guys will be taking discounts to stay(Thornton/Marleau both publicly said they want to retire sharks, and Burns loves it here and took a discount last contract)

All said, we are in great cap shape until 2020. Every team that has won the cup in the past 6 years are in cap hell now. If that is what it takes, so be it.

Franson, Green, Martin, and Frolik are great options in this market. Bartkowski would be a good (and cheap) addition to any team that needs a dman as well 

Those are "great' options for a beer league. By NHL standards, those are not great options.

Those are "great' options for a beer league. By NHL standards, those are not great options.

2 years ago. Everyone said the same about Streit. Called him overpaid and bad defensively. How has that worked out? He is your best defenseman at age 37

What makes these players terrible to your standards? Their numbers show they are actually pretty good and would help any team in need of that position.

What makes these players terrible to your standards? Their numbers show they are actually pretty good and would help any team in need of that position.

Lotsa people here hate on free agents every year :P

Not that I blame them with some of the signings gone wrong for them like Lecavalier

You know what? We have the cap space to improve via UFA. USE IT.

right now.

Not that I blame them with some of the signings gone wrong for them like Lecavalier

I'm not overly impressed with the UFA crop this year, but there are some guys who can be effective next year. The issue that I have is whether or not teams are fixing "this season's problems" with 3, 4, 5, 6 year deals.

I like Mike Green on my fantasy hockey roster, for example, just not sure I want to see him wearing Flyer colors for multiple years at a high salary based on past performance. He probably has a few more years of 40-point defenseman in him, but if he wants to be paid as if he's going to hit 50, 60 or 70 again, I'll walk away without malice. In a world where Andrew MacDonalds "command" $5M I think the market is heavily skewed.

Sometimes the best deal a team makes is a deal the team doesn't make. Lecavalier is a great example (don't for a second believe that everyone in Philadelphia was applauding signing a rapidly declining 30-something to a five year deal...). But it's not just rapidly declining 30-somethings in Philadelphia. Alex Semin says "hello." David Clarkson. Kari Lehtonen. Alex Edler. The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Next year the "right" player at the "right" price could come along and if some dumbass* has screwed you capwise paying for a "name" that had big numbers once, you might not be able to take advantage of it.

My two cents.

*#homercoaster

Again, they're not terrible. They just aren't great in NHL standards. 

Thought I already said that. 

Archived