Pens sign Plotnikov

They could use some grit.

I think I know what you are talking about and I think it is different from the "grit" that Steve Downie supplies. Teams that win it all almost always have it. Tampa Bay had it but didn't have quite enough of it. Had Steven Stamkos found "it", the series would have turned out differently. He's certainly talented enough but he didn't find a way to play his best when it counted most. The Hawks did find a way, again.

So maybe it's something like the ability to will yourself to play your best when it counts. That kind of grit.

I think I know what you are talking about and I think it is different from the "grit" that Steve Downie supplies. Teams that win it all almost always have it. Tampa Bay had it but didn't have quite enough of it. Had Steven Stamkos found "it", the series would have turned out differently. He's certainly talented enough but he didn't find a way to play his best when it counted most. The Hawks did find a way, again.

So maybe it's something like the ability to will yourself to play your best when it counts. That kind of grit.

Nicely said. Yeah, like that

The problem with that theory is... This core of players already did exactly that. Two consecutive years in a way. So how can that same core be lacking now? I still contend the difference between the Lena and Chicago has been depth scoring. Kessel helps address that. If I offered you Crosby, Perron and Kessel, Malkin, Hornqvist and player F... As your starting six, most teams would jump on it. If the third line of Sutter, Kumitz and Dupuis can stay in tact as well... That SHOULD provide depth scoring.

The problem with that theory is... This core of players already did exactly that. Two consecutive years in a way. So how can that same core be lacking now? I still contend the difference between the Lena and Chicago has been depth scoring. Kessel helps address that. If I offered you Crosby, Perron and Kessel, Malkin, Hornqvist and player F... As your starting six, most teams would jump on it. If the third line of Sutter, Kumitz and Dupuis can stay in tact as well... That SHOULD provide depth scoring.

I wouldn't call what the Pens do in the playoffs grit. I'd call it losing their minds, chasing players around trying to prove how tough they are and how easy they are to get off their game. That isn't grit, that's terrible leadership. 

They have definately needed wingers for Crosby and Malkin. They should score more now. I think they may have found some character in Hornquist and Perron. But if the wheels start falling off the wagon in the first round next postseason, you can bet Kessel won't be any help leadership-wise. 

I wouldn't call what the Pens do in the playoffs grit. I'd call it losing their minds, chasing players around trying to prove how tough they are and how easy they are to get off their game. That isn't grit, that's terrible leadership.

They have definately needed wingers for Crosby and Malkin. They should score more now. I think they may have found some character in Hornquist and Perron. But if the wheels start falling off the wagon in the first round next postseason, you can bet Kessel won't be any help leadership-wise.

In that series against your Flyers you are absolutely right. But not since. They've been very disciplined since that loss. But again... Lack of production. They've kept a lot of the games pretty tight, they're just not finishing. The Rangers series this past season is prime example. Outshot the Rangers a few times, no real power plays to speak of... Just couldn't actually score.

Honestly I see very little disparity in the league on that topic. Chicago doesn't stand out above any other as far as that goes. They were as injury riddled defensively as the Pens were going into the playoffs. Difference remained playoff scoring. As I said elsewhere the Pens scored one goal or less in 14 of their last 17 playoff games. THAT is their problem. Not grit. By comparison the Hawks have been one of the best playoff scoring teams in the league over the past six years.

A lot of goals come from the cement mixers in the corners. Especially in the playoffs. You're not going to see the open ice game in the playoffs. You need the grit. I think Lucic would of been a better fit than Kessel.

A lot of goals come from the cement mixers in the corners. Especially in the playoffs. You're not going to see the open ice game in the playoffs. You need the grit. I think Lucic would of been a better fit than Kessel.

Puck control and corner work were not an issue. He'll shots on goal were not an issue. Actually scoring has been! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Pens signed Sergei Plotnikov to a one year entry level deal. I love this move. Not long ago touted best European free agent available. Good highlight reel. Malkin's linemate...

Yep.

Quite a few teams are starting to go the Euro free agent route and finding gems.

Sharks nabbing Karlsson did not really register with me at first because I never heard of him. Watched a few Worcester games and he really stood out. Next thing you know, he is playing on any line on the big team and not looking out of place.

Donskoi really was a good signing. Looked lights out in the sharks prospect game. One of the MVP's if the liiga league, and a PPG player at the WC. Sharks snapped him up quick before others.

Archived