Prust to VAN; Kassian to MON

Habs banking on Zack Kassian rounding into form as a goal scorer. Plus, he SHOULD provide some physical presence while contributing on the scoresheet.

We all know the Canadiens were pretty woeful on offense as a team. Not all sure that even a healthy productive Kassian all by himself would cure what ails the Habs, but it will certainly be a start.

Montreal does give up a lot of veteran savvy, toughness, and even a touch of scoring in Brandon Prust though.

Prust as a Canuck at this stage of the team's competitive cycle though, I am not sure he is a particularly good fit.

He has one year left on his contract, and unless the Canucks improve significantly in being a good long term competitor, I can't see Prust staying on past his final year.

Nothing for nothing. Kassian still trying to establish himself and failing miserably, nothing like the player he was supposed to be. Prust is just a body, quickly forgotten. The fact that this trade merits any mention just shows how boring and droll the frenzy and afterwards have been.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked when Benning was at the press conference announcing this trade , and he commented about Dorsett texting him and thanking him for bringing Prust over.

Lol.

I see this trade as a win for Montreal. He may be able to find his game with different coaching and a different team. Then again, he may not.

But either way he has more upside than Prust

@J0e Th0rnton

I guess only  time will tell with Kassian, however at the moment I respectfully dis agree and believe the Canucks won this as with prust they know what their getting , while the Habs not so much with Kassian.

Sabres and Canucks have now give up on Kassian at his young age, not the qualities young quality players have.

@J0e Th0rnton

I guess only  time will tell with Kassian, however at the moment I respectfully dis agree and believe the Canucks won this as with prust they know what their getting , while the Habs not so much with Kassian.

Sabres and Canucks have now give up on Kassian at his young age, not the qualities young quality players have.

I just see it as a 31 year old who is chippy and puts up 18 points vs a 24 year old player of the same vein.

But the 24 year old COULD improve if the right coach and system that clicks with him comes along and put up 14 goals and 29 points a few years back.

@J0e Th0rnton

You are probably right, but I still hold out hope that Kassian will get untracked. He does have legit hands, I've seen them many times. There is an *outside* chance that Kassian can score 20 goals next year and have 120 PIM, which would come in really handy on a team with a lot of smaller stars. Near the end of last year, Kassian started scoring at a nice clip for the Canucks. Nothing guarnteed, like you said, but I believe there is talent in there that will rise to the surface.

Nothing guarnteed, like you said, but I believe there is talent in there that will rise to the surface.

Yeah, I mean Buffalo didn't offload him for a bag of pucks - they thought they were getting a potential "true #1" C in Cody Hodgson.

I doubt the Sabres are happy to see him back in their own division.

You are probably right, but I still hold out hope that Kassian will get untracked. He does have legit hands, I've seen them many times. There is an *outside* chance that Kassian can score 20 goals next year and have 120 PIM, which would come in really handy on a team with a lot of smaller stars. Near the end of last year, Kassian started scoring at a nice clip for the Canucks. Nothing guarnteed, like you said, but I believe there is talent in there that will rise to the surface.

That's the thing. Willie Desjardins obviously did not like the kid. Canucks fans were kinda mad he was not getting a fair shake.

He had 10 goals and 6 assists last season, and 8 goals and 3 assists of them came in the last 17 games of the season. He started doing something right.

@J0e Th0rnton

It was more than Willie on Canuck management that had a problem with Zack.

No specifics ever came out but several comments on his off ice professionalism. 

They also wanted Zack to earn his time on the top lines and not just hand it to him in hopes he'd perform, something he in their eye's never earned.

@  I can tell you from personal experience, Kassian comes off as very aloof. I could imagine him rubbing people the wrong way. When he played for the Spits, he thought his s**t did not stink.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you might be right my friend...

Kassian lives in Windsor, where I reside. This car accident and drug/alcohol abuse is nothing new....around here, he is a legendary partier.....his family actually had to put him on a limit of 1,500 per week, because he was burning through his money so quick......lot's of closing bars, after hour parties etc....Windsor is a fairly small city when it comes to this kinda stuff, it's public knowledge he had a real problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Kassian lives in Windsor, where I reside. This car accident and drug/alcohol abuse is nothing new....around here, he is a legendary partier.....his family actually had to put him on a limit of 1,500 per week, because he was burning through his money so quick......lot's of closing bars, after hour parties etc....Windsor is a fairly small city when it comes to this kinda stuff, it's public knowledge he had a real problem.

No kidding eh...sad really.

Archived