Is the Battle of Alberta Back?

ScottM

battle_alberta_1.jpg

Last season, the Flames stunned the hockey world and not only made the playoffs, but made it to the second round. Then, the Oilers hit the jackpot and won the lottery, winning Connor McDavid. Both teams were active in trades and free agency as well, and made some pretty significant additions. Calgary added Dougie Hamilton and has one of the most intimidating looking defenses in the league. Michael Frolik should give them some added scoring punch as well. Edmonton may have finally gotten their goalie in Cam Talbot, and the additions of Eric Gryba and Andrej Sekera should give him some breathing room. Throw in a potentially good blueliner in the making in Griffin Reinhart, and that unit looks a lot better.

Taking it all together, it certainly looks like both teams will be better this season. The rivalry looks like it may be out of critical care. Are we looking at a return of one of the greatest rivalries in sports? I think so, and I hope so.

Not yet, not by a long shot but the Flames are well on their way and the Oilers made strides this offseason. I think that the Flames are two or three steps ahead of the Oilers but both are on a good path. Still one of the all time great rivalries, hoping it gets back to where it once was!

@yave1964 Calgary is definitely ahead of Edmonton. We're nowhere near a 1980s level, but I think Edmonton will be somewhat competitive this year. I do hope so. It's sad to see a once proud franchise where the Oilers are now.

@FD19372 My guess is that you're about right about when Edmonton will begin to catch up.

Trivia time! :cool[1]:

What year did the Flames and Oilers last meet in the NHL playoffs?

Is it possible that it hasn't happened since the infamous 1986 Steve Smith bank shot own goal? Now I gotta go look it up and probably feel dumb

Edit: Well I won't spoil it completely in case anyone else wants to take a stab, but 1986 is not correct....

Well, the Flames have not made the post season for 9 years, not counting this season....so it has to be 06 or before that. I honestly can't remember when they last met...but I don't want to look it up, hopefully the person who gets it right will have done it by memory. I'm thinking JR knows.

Archived