Who Will Play This Year?

ScottM

0121339001429543698_filepicker.jpg

With Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel being described as "generational talents" and going to teams that severely lacked depth in this past season, it seems all but certain that both of them will play in the NHL in the upcoming season. Are there any others from this year's draft class that will join them?

The two I find most likely to do so are Dylan Strome and Noah Hanifin. In Strome's case, he's going to a team so severely lacking in scoring that two of their top three scorers last season were defensemen, and 43 points was all it took to lead the team. Couple that with the fact that Dave Tippett has acknowledged that they're trying to fast track some guys, I think we may see Strome.

Carolina should have offered up a prayer of thanksgiving when the Leafs passed on Hanifin. Other than Justin Faulk, it's hard to find a Hurricanes defenseman who offered much last season. With Hanifin being the top defenseman in the draft and going to a team so bad on the blue line, we may see him.

Don't overlook Ivan Provorov in Philadelphia. The fact the Flyers signed him so quickly to a contract is leading to speculation that they think he will not only make the lineup, but play a lot of minutes as well.

Yes and many considered him the most NHL-ready player in the draft (eg. Red Line).

Don't overlook Ivan Provorov in Philadelphia. The fact the Flyers signed him so quickly to a contract is leading to speculation that they think he will not only make the lineup, but play a lot of minutes as well.

Top 10 picks ALWAYS get signed to contracts quickly.

Provorov making the team for anything more than a 9 game tryout will be strange given you already have 7 NHL dmen(not counting Manning)

I think Hextall made the comments about not rushing Dmen to temper expectations for Provorov and get people used to the idea that he will not be with the big club.

That being said. Unless Meier comes out the gate looking like Corey Perry, odds of him getting more than 9 games are near impossible for the same reasons unless someone gets traded.

Karlsson/Thornton/Pavelski

Marleau/Couture/Wingels

Hertl/Tierney/Ward

Nieto/Smith/??????

Brown(BURY HIM)

Torres.....Errrr, two surgeries later, is he likely to play again?

But both have one way contracts I think. LTIR for Torres unless he can play. brown just needs to be buried.

Fighting for that last spot.......

Goodrow: had a decent 4th liner season last year, but that is his ceiling and he is nothing special. Stay in the A

Jevpalovs: Higher ceiling(Middle/top 6) and looked good at prospect game

Meier: Corey Perry Ceiling, and already NHL ready in size and strength. but stiff competition for that last spot.

Goldobin: Ceiling is dynamic offensive top line winger. looks close to ready

Chartier: like Jevpalovs, middle/top 6 ceiling. Looked great with or without Dratsaitl for the Rockets.

Noah Rod: Marcus Kruger Ceiling. Like DAMN this guy is good defensively and wonderful looking for a guy who does not score. And a pest and physical as heck. Ideal 4th line player.

Donskoi: Top 6 Caliber. His league playoff MVP and best 5 on 5 scorer in the league. best shootout guy in the league. Scored at a great PPG clip during the WC and is NHL ready.

Oh it is nice to have skilled options for the lines. I really hope Deboer spreads the talent and runs 4 lines like he claims he will.

The Sharks talent in the system makes me so freaking happy. Given how we had so few first round picks in the last 11 years. one of the best teams at drafting in later rounds for sure.

Top 10 picks ALWAYS get signed to contracts quickly.

Provorov making the team for anything more than a 9 game tryout will be strange given you already have 7 NHL dmen(not counting Manning)

I think Hextall made the comments about not rushing Dmen to temper expectations for Provorov and get people used to the idea that he will not be with the big club.

Not in Philadelphia they don't. Couturier was a top 10 pick in 2011 and he wasn't signed until September 2011. Morin was also a late signing with his contract and he was just outside the top 10. When Provorov makes the team, someone will be waived and someone will be moved. 

McDavid and Eichel will play this coming season for sure. However, just for the record, Eichel is not a "generational talent". He will find the going a lot tougher than McDavid will because besides not being as good, he will not be as well supported as McDavid will be.

I doubt that either Strome or Marner will stay. They will likely both go back to junior.

I don't know any of the other players well enough to make a guess...

Not in Philadelphia they don't. Couturier was a top 10 pick in 2011 and he wasn't signed until September 2011. Morin was also a late signing with his contract and he was just outside the top 10. When Provorov makes the team, someone will be waived and someone will be moved. 

Hextall vs Holmgren

McDavid is definitely playing this upcoming year, contrary to popular belief that he's not ready to play against men I say this.. he is 6'1" 195 lbs and that is bigger and heavier than Crosby in his rookie season. Granted the NHL is a different league than in 2005 but I think McDavid gets 70-85 points this year. 

With regards to other prospects and being a Leafs fan if it were old management Marner and Nylander would be on the Leafs already, next year Marner will be back in the OHL ripping it up, he will easily contend for the overall point lead in the OHL and will be put in a prominent role with Team Canada at the 2016 World Juniors, the same goes for Nylander and Kapanen for Sweden and Finland, both will be top 6 guys on their respective teams but neither will be rushed with this new management. 

I think Hanifin fell right where he was expected actually, he is a defender so naturally you're not surprised when he goes at #5, overall Marner is the better pick, he is a projected future Patrick Kane, I don't understand the hype around Hanifin going at #5 when everybody already knew he wasn't going 1st or 2nd guaranteed because of McEichel and that #3-4 was down to Marner or Strome. Hanifin went right where he was expected to, unless its an incredible D prospect like Ekblad a defender will rarely go above #5 overall. 

I'm wondering if Zacha won't crack the Devils line up. They are straight up desperate for scoring and size, and Zacha should supply both. On a team where Henrique lead them with 43 pts, he would be a welcome addition....AND it would get Zajac out of the top 6, he does not belong there.

I'm wondering if Zacha won't crack the Devils line up. They are straight up desperate for scoring and size, and Zacha should supply both. On a team where Henrique lead them with 43 pts, he would be a welcome addition....AND it would get Zajac out of the top 6, he does not belong there.

I don't see why he would not get a chance.

Look at the rest of the lineup.

Their highest scorer Henrique is a 2nd liner on most teams,and they have a cupboard of has been's who were forced into a greater role due to lack of options.

Gomez, Havlat, Ryder, Tootoo....

Kovalchuk deciding to play in the NHL again would be a boon to the devils

Their highest scorer Henrique is a 2nd liner on most teams

I think Adam would be much more of an offensive threat if he was on a different team. His wingers are less than stellar and the Devils still play that lay back and wait for your opponent to make a mistake (out of necessity, really....due to a stinging lack of creativity in NJ). Put him in an offense first system with legit wingers and he would shine. He has shown he's a money player, already having 2 Game 7 series winners to his credit in his young career. I really believe he would be a 65 pt guy on a lot of teams.

• 2 weeks later...

If Zacha makes the Devils I hope it's because he's ready and not just because the rest of the forwards aren't very good. He's the first forward they've taken in the top 10 since Bill Guerin in 1989, so they needless to say it's pretty damn important that he pans out. I just hope they don't rush him.

Archived