Can the NHL evolve?

The Mountain Man

So for all you hockey fans...here is a new idea. The orange line is called the "look up" line. It is just to give both the Offensive and Defensive players a hint as to how close they are to the boards. Some rinks in the states have used it all last season and it didnt change the flow of the game but got positive revciews from the players. I say if it saves one serious injury lets do it. the game can and should evolve as these kids keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. What do you guys think?

ugK2MoN.jpg

@  Welcome, you would not know it because you are relatively new, but we have had a few threads regarding this topic. Most thought it was a good idea, but wanted to make sure the colour scheme was correct, so it did not make the arena look gaudy or to busy looking. Being a Flyer fan, I'd be thrilled with orange being installed league wide. The league should make one single colour and stick with it. It would be a  fiasco if teams were allowed to copy their own colours.....for instance, who would like to see part of the ice painted that pukey mustard when in Nashville?  I'm guessing not even Pred fans would want to see that.....ha ha!

I have thought about this and gotta say I don't care. I say if the players want it then they should probably do it. I do believe it will take time to get used to seeing it either in person or even worse on TV. But, when I see the boards in old games with no advertising, that looks odd to me even though I grew up with that. So all that "busy" advertising along the boards isn't even a thought now but was a concern back then when it was implemented. In a years time we wouldn't think of anything of the orange lines. Or, so I think anyway...

So for all you hockey fans...here is a new idea. The orange line is called the "look up" line. It is just to give both the Offensive and Defensive players a hint as to how close they are to the boards. Some rinks in the states have used it all last season and it didnt change the flow of the game but got positive revciews from the players. I say if it saves one serious injury lets do it. the game can and should evolve as these kids keep getting bigger, stronger, and faster. What do you guys think?

Or players could just look up.  :D

I have to say I'm not a fan of something like that, and I think the existing red line (the goal line) is a clue for players to look up as it is. Players need to look where they're going.

Doesn't the vertical would with an advertisement and glass on top of it let them know they are near the boards? If they are so incredibly unaware of their surroundings that they can't see the boards, I highly doubt a gawdy orange line will.

How about make the players wear a choke collar and install an invisible fence?

Or, since the title had "evolve," maybe some day we'll have hockey players who have eyes that can look up independent of their head or necks that allow for the chin up raise, allowing players to see around them rather than just down. [/sarcasm]

I think this would be an admission that the players have devolved rather than an example of evolving.

I still don't like the trapezoid. Let's stop with all the ink. It looks horrible and doesn't improve the game.

Archived