Minnesota Wild all time best player

yave1964

all time greatest Wild player  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all time greatest Minnesota Wild player?

• Marian Gaborik
    • Mikko Koivu
    • Niklas Backstrom
    • Nick Schultz
    • Andrew Brunette

First let me say that quite deliberately I left Sutermsc_GZLyXH9PcI8eofAuz4w.jpg and Parise off the list, they have only been there a few years and their numbers during that time can be argued as justifying their contracts it is way to early to list the two of them on the all time great list for the Wild. Come back in three or four years they may be one-two but for now, just on the outside looking in.

Your candidates:

NICK SCHULTZ: Yeah yeah, I know not much to look at any more but he is the all time leader in games played in a Wild Uniform with 743 which is a fairly high amount in one jersey. He is 7th all time in assists not a shabby rating for a stay at home guy. He had his day in the sun.

ANDREW BRUNETTE:  3rd all time in Wild history in goals and 4th in points. He is remembered for the greatest goal in wild history,

a goal in game 7 against the stacked Avalanche that sent Patrick Roy into retirement. Still the biggest single moment in wild history on the ice.

MARIANmdmjUj8PmShyyDD5DJPWDbg.jpg GABORIK: All time leader in goals with 219 and second all time in points Gaborik was the first Wild superstar player. Second team all star once he peaked at 42 goals in 2007-08 and appeared in a couple of all star games.

NIKLAS BACKSTROM: All time leader in wins (194) by a near 2-1 ratio over the next guy on the list he leads all wild goalies in every single relevant stat, most of which by a ridiculous margin. He has received Vezina votes 4 times in his career, led the league in wins once and won the Jennings trophy in 2006-07.

MIKKO KOIVU: all time leader in scoring for Wild with 500 points, nearly 100 ahead of Gaborik (437). either frist or second in nearly all relevant categories in team history among forwards. 7 times he has received votes for the Selke. Consistent solid player.

Like I said I deliberately left Parise and Suter (and Vanek and Niederrieter too, lol) because they dont quite measure up statistically. Another couple of years IMHO but if you feel they are worthy that is fine.

WHO AM I? Latest player is in the mkRGUyC_s2QZl5qK4l8S-og.jpgtop ten in scoring all time for the Wild. Really.

I personally had to vote for Gaborik but I can watch the video of Brunette sending Patrick Freaking Roy into retirement over and over. I have watched it twice so far since posting it on here and may yet watch it again. ;) Never get tired of it.

Honestly can't see how, in the short 15 years of the Wild's existence, one doesn't go Marion Gaborik.

Gaborik was THE one and only true blue superstar type player the Wild have had since their inception in 2000.

The guy was simply a scoring machine just waiting to go amok........his downfall has always been how injury prone he has been throughout his career.

And its the reason Minnesota finally gave up on him.

I wouldn't say Gaborik was the 'complete package'...his skillset was very much offensively oriented, but he DID provide a decent checking game, and could be seen back checking, using his great speed to make up for any mishaps in positioning.

As was mentioned, the Wild throughout their history haven't really had anything that resembles a Crosby, a Lindros, an Yzerman....but Marion Gaborik sure comes close as far as 'star power', offense, and marquee presence.

Mikko Koivu may be a more rounded player than Gaborik, but NO WAY, does Koivu come close to being the on-ice scoring threat Gaborik always seemed to be.

Even to this day, Gaborik's numbers while a member of the Minnesota Wild are still well ahead of many players who have donned the Minny jersey, or still playing today.

Also as already stated, someday, maybe a Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, or even a Matt Dumba, Jason Zucker or Mikael Granlund can change that.

But to date, Gaborik, IMO, is hands down Minnesota's best player to ever wear the jersey.

@yave1964

Maybe you should have included some Minnesota North Stars in this list it seems the NHL, Wild and Minnesota hockey fans consider them as Alumni.  

http://wild.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=106673 This game better be televised nationally, this is going to be great!

Minnesota North Stars/Minnesota Wild Alumni Roster Name Position Fred Barrett D Don Beaupre G Brian Bellows F Brad Bombardir (Wild) D Neal Broten F Andrew Brunette (Wild) F Jack Carlson F Jon Casey D Dino Ciccarelli F Jim Dowd (Wild) F Curt Giles D Craig Hartsburg D Darby Hendrickson (Wild) F Antti Laaksonen (Wild) F Reed Larson D Dennis Maruk F Brad Maxwell D Basil McRae F Gilles Meloche G Mike Modano F Richard Park (Wild) F Steve Payne F Willi Plett F Gordie Roberts D Bobby Smith F Wes Walz (Wild) F Tom Younghans F Coaches   Lou Nanne   Tom Reid

Chicago Blackhawks Alumni Roster Name Position Adrian Aucoin D Murray Bannerman G Ed Belfour D Dave Christian F Denis Cyr F Eric Daze F Reggie Kerr F Steve Konroyd D Cliff Koroll F Dave Mackey F Peter Marsh F Jamal Mayers F Grant Mulvey F Troy Murray F Brian Noonan F Jack O'Callahan D Jeremy Roenick F Phil Russell D Denis Savard F Reid Simpson F Brent Sopel D Jimmy Waite G  Coaches    Tony Esposito    Pat Foley

I wouldn't say Gaborik was the 'complete package'...his skillset was very much offensively oriented, but he DID provide a decent checking game, and could be seen back checking, using his great speed to make up for any mishaps in positioning.

That's just the thing when considering a teams "greatest player"  the complete package becomes more important imo than the number of goals scored.  Koivu could very likely spend his entire career in a Wilds jersey, he's the first and thus far only Captain this franchise has had.  Koivu has played more minutes / game than Gaborik.   Koivu's selke-like contributions have to play a role here also.   Gaborik put up one 87 point season, with a total of 5 seasons over 50 points for the Wild.  Koivu also has 5 seasons over 50 points with one season of 71 points in his career thus far with the Wild.

I struggled a bit with that and decided to follow the leagues ways and will include the North Stars stats with the Dallas Stars.

Technically on paper they are the alumni of the Stars, but the league got it right when they set up this Alumni game, as Minnesota hockey fans know otherwise.   ;)

That's just the thing when considering a teams "greatest player"  the complete package becomes more important imo than the number of goals scored.  Koivu could very likely spend his entire career in a Wilds jersey, he's the first and thus far only Captain this franchise has had.  Koivu has played more minutes / game than Gaborik.   Koivu's selke-like contributions have to play a role here also.   Gaborik put up one 87 point season, with a total of 5 seasons over 50 points for the Wild.  Koivu also has 5 seasons over 50 points with one season of 71 points in his career thus far with the Wild.

Some good points, @hf101 , however, it was injury that limited Gaborik.

I honestly feel that had Gaborik been able to stay just a bit healthier, his overall numbers would far eclipse anything any other player (including Koivu), would do.

And again, when Gaborik was on the ice, he was a consistent threat to make something happen...oftentimes in bursts.....and he was always an immediate game changer (or potential game changer), that could erupt at the blink of an eye. Can't really say that about Koivu....although I certainly am not discounting other areas of the game that Koivu does well.

Mikko Koivu's contributions, to this point, and when all is said and done, would have come via steady consistency (a good thing for sure!) over a longer period of time, whereas Gaborik's relatively shorter time shows how impressive he was given the fact he didn't spend as much time in a Wild jersey as Koivu, yet you can see how ridiculously good his contributions were in that shorter time.

I really do think Gaborik's checking and defense were a tad underrated......but that was likely because his offensive prowess and ability to turn a game to his team's favor on such short notice were so great.

@hf101

@yave1964

Also, on whether to include former North Stars into this, I am not necessarily disagreeing with how the Wild organization or the NHL view it, but personally, while former North Stars obviously played for Minnesota, to me, they are DALLAS Stars alumni now.

Perhaps my husband would agree with you guys (and the NHL) more than I,  because he was a big North Star fan well before I came along (and before that team's ownership broke his heart), but when I think "Minnesota Wild alumni", I think from 2000 on, actually wearing the green n red of the current team.

Anything before that is now property of the Dallas Stars now, unfortunately.

Honestly can't see how, in the short 15 years of the Wild's existence, one doesn't go Marion Gaborik.

Gaborik was THE one and only true blue superstar type player the Wild have had since their inception in 2000.

The guy was simply a scoring machine just waiting to go amok........his downfall has always been how injury prone he has been throughout his career.

And its the reason Minnesota finally gave up on him.

As was mentioned, the Wild throughout their history haven't really had anything that resembles a Crosby, a Lindros, an Yzerman....but Marion Gaborik sure comes close as far as 'star power', offense, and marquee presence.

Mikko Koivu may be a more rounded player than Gaborik, but NO WAY, does Koivu come close to being the on-ice scoring threat Gaborik always seemed to be.

Even to this day, Gaborik's numbers while a member of the Minnesota Wild are still well ahead of many players who have donned the Minny jersey, or still playing today.

Also as already stated, someday, maybe a Zach Parise, Ryan Suter, or even a Matt Dumba, Jason Zucker or Mikael Granlund can change that.

But to date, Gaborik, IMO, is hands down Minnesota's best player to ever wear the jersey.

Koivu might have not provided the offensive prowess Gaborik possessed, but Mikko Koivu in his prime was most definitely better than Gaborik in all other aspects of the game. Honestly, I dont think you can go wrong with picking either of the two.

Honestly, I dont think you can go wrong with picking either of the two.

I think this is another case of "better overall player" or "better player for the Wild."

That's where Koivu has the edge over Gaborik IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived