2015-16 Flyers Reality.

LegionOfDoom

On 1/19/2016 at 9:46 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

Logically though of course drafting a top 5 winger would be nice as well, that's the big pill to swallow though.

yeah, but, taking inspiration from drouin's meltdown, i say again that most top 5 picks are fair consolation prizes, not windfalls.  i think a season's playoff experience, even if it is only for half of the roster, is arguably the more definitely valuable.  

for fun, here are the top five picks from 09-13 (5 years, ending with drouin's draft, which is the last class we should expect to see NHL capable by this point):

taveres - hedman - duchene - e. kane - b. schenn

hall - seguin - gudbranson - johansen - niederreiter

nugent-hopkins - landeskog - huberdeau - larsson - strome

yakupov - murray - galchnyuk - reinhart - rielly

makinnon - barkov - drouin - jones - lindholm

a few awesome players, a bunch of well above average, a handful of good players, a bunch of pretty ok ones, and a few busts.  scientifically speaking, the average is between "good" and "pretty ok".  science.  and that is not something worth hoping for at the expense of your young players working through a second season grind and learning how that works.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well three fourths into the season and we have a body of work where we can see how up and down this first season is going for the coach and the team.

Our Away game trends have improved as well as our play against teams that are not in the playoffs.

Was it six points we left on the table for overtime points this year? As compared to last season how many of those points were left at the end?

Importantly players know the system and have been working/adjusting themselves to meet it fully this season.

This last set of 20 games will now be up to the team to decide if they will make the playoffs or not.

Its great to see the secondary play/scoring start to pick up and our entry zone improving through the neutral zone.

Am happy for Schenn getting his game tuned in and hope to see the fourth line chip in more offensively.

More thoughts?

20 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Well three fourths into the season and we have a body of work where we can see how up and down this first season is going for the coach and the team.

Our Away game trends have improved as well as our play against teams that are not in the playoffs.

Was it six points we left on the table for overtime points this year? As compared to last season how many of those points were left at the end?

Importantly players know the system and have been working/adjusting themselves to meet it fully this season.

This last set of 20 games will now be up to the team to decide if they will make the playoffs or not.

Its great to see the secondary play/scoring start to pick up and our entry zone improving through the neutral zone.

Am happy for Schenn getting his game tuned in and hope to see the fourth line chip in more offensively.

More thoughts?

They are really at the point were it's one game at a time, don't look past the next game get two points and move on. I hate to be cliche but it is where they are at...can't look back at what coulda shoulda and they have had some big injuries and they will just have to soldier one....next man up!

Go Flyers!!! Playoffs or bust!:cheer:

As from the beginning of the thread, they have to show that they have the extra gear to get into the postseason.

And they need to shift into it ASAP.

I think they've come a long way this season and there's still room to improve.

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm afraid you are seeing it....with no Jake what you see is what you get. Let's be honest this isn't the most skilled of teams....it's not a knock on them it is just the reality of the situation.

The backend besides Ghost really has no skill....so they are doing their best.

They are 3-0 on their homestand they have two solid goaltenders they just need to limit mistakes and stay out the box. On top of Coots to me doesn't look 100% isn't helping a lot.

But i give them this they are giving their all i think. It will help them tremendously to just stay out the sin bin. Keep it 5 on 5 and let them team get in a rhythm...easier said than done i know. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

But i give them this they are giving their all i think. It will help them tremendously to just stay out the sin bin. Keep it 5 on 5 and let them team get in a rhythm...easier said than done i know. 

I don't question the individual effort at all.

I am saying that as a team they need to find the "extra gear" that I talked about in the first posts on the topic.

BSchenn stepping up is part of it. Getting scoring from Gagner is another. Solid play on the blueline another. Etc.

They CAN make the playoffs and they are in position so now all that's left is to actually do it.

18 minutes ago, radoran said:

They CAN make the playoffs and they are in position so now all that's left is to actually do it.

I agree just win the next game. Go from there. They are at the door step. Shall they rise to the next step? Or fall down one........we'll see! I'm in the court of i'd rather have playoffs than a better draft pick...

49 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't question the individual effort at all.

I am saying that as a team they need to find the "extra gear" that I talked about in the first posts on the topic.

BSchenn stepping up is part of it. Getting scoring from Gagner is another. Solid play on the blueline another. Etc.

ywLYI2z.gif

An interesting read...

Since early November, defenseman Evgeny Medvedev has been in and out of the Dave Hakstol doghouse. He's been a repeated healthy scratch, and the coaching staff has expressed frustration with the Russian's inconsistent play in the defensive zone and struggles in transitioning to the smaller ice surface of North America.

If they want to take a serious run at the playoffs, however, it's time to put those concerns aside.

Medvedev has been an above-average play driver all season, but his performance has entered the stratosphere in 2016. In the games so far this year that Medvedev has dressed in, with him on the ice, Philadelphia has a 55.7% score-adjusted Corsi - a mark better than every NHL team except the Los Angeles Kings. But when Medvedev is on the bench, the Flyers play more like the Calgary Flames or Vancouver Canucks (47.2% score-adjusted Corsi).

No one questions Medvedev's skillset. Even an amateur scout can see that Medvedev is a plus skater, strong physically, and has great puck-moving instincts. It's been the little things that have clearly bothered the Flyers, but those issues are not preventing Medvedev from producing like an extremely effective defenseman.

There isn't even a discrepancy between his on-ice shot metrics and his goal metrics. With Medvedev on the ice at 5-on-5 this season, the Flyers have scored 27 goals and allowed 22, for a Goals For percentage of 55.1%. That's even better than his performance in shot generation and suppression.

Evgeny Medvedev not only should never spend time in the press box, he should be getting as many even strength minutes as he can handle.

So with this team really going nowhere can they just settle on a defense and just roll with it instead of having guys in and out...barring injury of course...just a thought

• 2 weeks later...

If i could go back and change one thing about this team that i think would greatly affect where they are today....

....it would be to start Ghost on the blueline on opening night for sure.

I wonder how many more points they would have had. Sure we will never know but it is fun to guess...............they lost a lot of one goal games before he arrived.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If i could go back and change one thing about this team that i think would greatly affect where they are today....

....it would be to start Ghost on the blueline on opening night for sure.

I wonder how many more points they would have had. Sure we will never know but it is fun to guess...............they lost a lot of one goal games before he arrived.

The kids sure does have a knack for scoring timely goals.  Look at the tying goal from last night's game.  He saw a lane and a lot of traffic in front of the goalie and just threw the puck at the net.  That's a great example of knowing the situation and making the right call to shoot.  Of course it involved some luck since it was not an overpowering shot, but not everyone would have even taken the shot and I'm sure he wasn't aiming for that exact spot of he net.  He just seems to have very good awareness on the ice.  I can live with his defensive lapses if he continues to score big goals.  The good thing about him is his speed helps him to erase some of his defensive errors.  I think his D will get better as he gets more experience at the NHL level.  

1 minute ago, Adamflyers said:

The kids sure does have a knack for scoring timely goals.  Look at the tying goal from last night's game.  He saw a lane and a lot of traffic in front of the goalie and just threw the puck at the net.  That's a great example of knowing the situation and making the right call to shoot.  Of course it involved some luck since it was not an overpowering shot, but not everyone would have even taken the shot and I'm sure he wasn't aiming for that exact spot of he net.  He just seems to have very good awareness on the ice.  I can live with his defensive lapses if he continues to score big goals.  The good thing about him is his speed helps him to erase some of his defensive errors.  I think his D will get better as he gets more experience at the NHL level.  

And i honestly see him and Morin as an awesome 2nd pair of course once Sam is ready. I think those two will compliment each other very well.

Watching this team play against Florida last night was interesting. The last visit was a disaster. Last night showed a good work ethic and discipline--no dumb penalties or fights. That said, the O and B could not muster the same attack as Florida, which has much more skill.  We need a good draft or two.  

Howie

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Watching this team play against Florida last night was interesting. The last visit was a disaster. Last night showed a good work ethic and discipline--no dumb penalties or fights. That said, the O and B could not muster the same attack as Florida, which has much more skill.  We need a good draft or two.

Howie,

This team just took two from the presumptive Eastern Conference Champions. They lost in a shootout to Florida.

I respectfully submit that they are closer than "a couple of drafts" away.

They still need to improve. No question, But they're not years away...

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

YeeWatching this team play against Florida last night was interesting. The last visit was a disaster. Last night showed a good work ethic and discipline--no dumb penalties or fights. That said, the O and B could not muster the same attack as Florida, which has much more skill.  We need a good draft or two.  

Howie

Yes it has much skill and there is no big gap than on the blueline. You basically have 2 reliable guys on the blueline who can handle the puck and actually move it up to the forwards, by handle it i nean not like a grenade.

Medvedev has his moments but at this point it is just get through the season with him as a failed experiment. Cut your losses after the season.

So those two guys are Ghost and Streit.

That is about it.

Sure MDZ when healthy again will make 3.

I think Provorov will be a huge welcome come the start next season. 

So yeah the skill gap is apparent.

But it will close soon after Sanheim, Morin and maybe just maybe Hagg are done with the AHL.

So we're talking another 2 season of watching them struggle to compete.

But i will be happy to see a top 4 however you chop it of Ghost-MDZ and Streit- Provorov for next year.

They can chew up some minutes...sure they'll lack some size but the boost in the skill department may help them hang onto the puck more and less having to chase it. We'll see.

Baby steps.

here's the reality , we're bitching about this team having a "bad year" and they are 9 games above .500 and 4 points out of a playoff spot in mid march.  this is another reason why i am a fan of this team, when we suck, we don't really suck. Not like the Oil or the CBJ or some ****. we're a .500 club.  that's a down year.  

I agree with @radoran about the future, i don't think we're years and years away, i think this is a playoff team next year and a championship contender in the next 2 to 3, it's not like this team is bereft of talent.  We are down 2 of our top 9 players (93 and 15 ) and just took two from the "streaking" Bolts and lost a shoot out the the "up and coming" Panthers at their rink in the second game of a back to back , and our guys didn't look lucky to survive, they played a good competitive game, hell if Neuvirth was able to play on the BTB i think we take 4 pts last weekend.  

i don't see the need for all the doom and gloom, and the oh we're not very good talk, we're not championship good but we are not a bad hockey team.

Exactly, yes if we don't play the right way then our talent level won't steal us any games, but as you can see and as I and others stated from the beginning, if we play as a team in all three zones, we'll win more than lose them.

It was interesting listening to the Florida broadcasters as they talked about how they saw a difference in how the Flyers were playing as a well oiled machine and how relentless they were against their Florida team in all three zones, not really giving them any real time and space to build up speed or flow and more importantly how there was no "Panic" in the Flyers game all night, even when scored on. Gotta tip our hat tothe coach and the players for buying into the system and each playing roles as team members to accomplish the goals set out.

Shootouts suck but getting 3 outta 4 points is solid.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016 at 9:34 AM, radoran said:

As from the beginning of the thread, they have to show that they have the extra gear to get into the postseason.

I think they've come a long way this season and there's still room to improve.

Thanks again Rad and others, for seeing the reality of this rag tag team of parts that showed to be greater than the sum.

I can't thank Coach Hakstol enough, though he won't accept any credit and shines the light on his boys.

This deserves a second read:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Dave_Hakstol.html

Archived