Christian Ehrhoff Bolsters LA Kings Defense

121414Ehrhoff.jpg

Over the weekend, The Los Angeles Kings signed veteran defenseman Christian Ehrhoff. Ehrhoff was considered a good offensive defenseman in his time with the Vancouver Canucks, which led long-term contract from Buffalo, where he fizzled out. 

Where do you see Ehrhoff in the Kings' lineup? On thought is that he will replace Slava Voynov, who is in a state of limbo after his domestic violence issues. Personally, I see the defensive pair as:

Muzzin-Doughty

Martinez-Ehrhoff

Greene-McNabb/McBain

If Ehrhoff can stay healthy, how high is the ceiling on this guy? He is unlikely to see extensive time on the top powerplay unit, due to Drew Doughty being on the roster. I see his a 25-35 point guy who does not play a top pair shut-down role. 

What do you think of his contract? If he stays healthy, I think that Christian Ehrhoff for $1.500 mil for one year a great deal. The Kings don't have a lot invested in a player with a lot of injury history, but could have a steal in this contract.

Meh, not much left in the tank, IMHO. The creepy part is the Kings are now running Sabre rejects in three of their six defense positions in McNabb, McBain and Ehrhoff. Hope that Doughty can play forty minutes a night and cover a lot of ice. Kings defense is in trouble, Ehrhoff is part of the problem and not the solution.

The Kings are over. Not simply because of this signing. This signing is mostly of the "who cares" variety. I think it's telling that they apparently don't have a kid ready.

If he stays healthy? Yeah, if Stevie Wonder can learn colors.

But the Kings' defense, save the exception of Doughty, stinks. Their roster is in turmoil and Lombardi is too busy with desperation moves (Richards) and crazy people.

They have a couple nice young players, but this is not a contending club. Their day is done.

The Kings are over. Not simply because of this signing. This signing is mostly of the "who cares" variety. I think it's telling that they apparently don't have a kid ready.

If he stays healthy? Yeah, if Stevie Wonder can learn colors.

But the Kings' defense, save the exception of Doughty, stinks. Their roster is in turmoil and Lombardi is too busy with desperation moves (Richards) and crazy people.

They have a couple nice young players, but this is not a contending club. Their day is done.

I dunno, man...

Shots Against: 2,214 (1st)

Scoring Chances Against / 60: 23.6 (4th best)

High-Danger Scoring Chances Against / 60: 9.1 (4th best)

Shots Allowed from home plate area: 0.863 compared to league average (2nd)

These are all reasonable metrics by which we can measure a defense. They greatly limited the numbers of shots allowed, including the most dangerous kind, and they did it without having their 2nd best defenseman around for 76 games.

I dunno, man...

Shots Against: 2,214 (1st)

Scoring Chances Against / 60: 23.6 (4th best)

High-Danger Scoring Chances Against / 60: 9.1 (4th best)

Shots Allowed from home plate area: 0.863 compared to league average (2nd)

These are all reasonable metrics by which we can measure a defense. They greatly limited the numbers of shots allowed, including the most dangerous kind, and they did it without having their 2nd best defenseman around for 76 games.

I realize that was just last season, so I do appreciate the numbers as evidence.   I'm just saying this year will not be good and they don't have the offense to overcome it.  They will still be hanging around the 8th seed, I think.   But I would bet on them missing.

I realize that was just last season, so I do appreciate the numbers as evidence.   I'm just saying this year will not be good and they don't have the offense to overcome it.  They will still be hanging around the 8th seed, I think.   But I would bet on them missing.

-Yes, offense was something of an issue, and (for once) they only received average goaltending last year. Scary thing: this was their best offensive team in years, finishing around league average.

-The Kings are a funny hockey club. They won the Cup as the 8th and 7th seeded teams, and were the definition of offensively-challenged, finished 30th and 29th in GF.

-That said, I also don't think they'll set the world on fire either.

@ruxpin

i think some of the all in moves to win are now starting make their presence felt.

they won two cups used their assets to get players for the playoff push,  they have not restocked and this is part of the natural course of things.

I think you're right as is @yave1964  they still have Quick , Kopitar, Carter and Doughty  so they won't suck, suck like Phoenix or anything but i don't see them with the depth and talent of 3 years ago.

@Polaris922 not having Erhof healthy didn't help you guys last year at all , kind of crappy when a move like that doesn't really leave you with a definitive feeling about the guy, "he was good when he was healthy" is like playing to a tie.  not crappy like a loss but also not a win.  

Meh, not much left in the tank, IMHO. The creepy part is the Kings are now running Sabre rejects in three of their six defense positions in McNabb, McBain and Ehrhoff. Hope that Doughty can play forty minutes a night and cover a lot of ice. Kings defense is in trouble, Ehrhoff is part of the problem and not the solution.

I don't know that I would call them all Sabres rejects. McNabb was a prospect that they could move to get better pieces for their rebuild. McBain is technically a Hurricane reject who spent some time with Buffalo when they were super bad. Ehrhoff did not want to be in Buffalo. Everyone could see it, and he did not play very well because of it. Ehrhoff forced the Sabres to buy him out.

I agree with you that this is not a fix to the solution, but Ehrhoff is better than a lot of other players that they could put in their lineup.

@ruxpin

I don't agree that the Kings defense is terrible outside of Doughty. I think Jake Muzzin is a pretty good defenseman that does a lot of things right. Alec Martinez is another solid defenseman that doesn't get enough credit. Beyond that, the defense is pretty terrible. Matt Greene should be in the AHL at best.

. I think Jake Muzzin is a pretty good defenseman that does a lot of things right. Alec Martinez is another solid defenseman that doesn't get enough credit. Beyond that, the defense is pretty terrible. Matt Greene should be in the AHL at best.

I agree with your assessment of individual players.  As a group, though, I don't think they're a contender group.  The top doesn't get much better than Doughty and Martinez and Muzzin are solid, but the drop off is almost to Flyer-level.

Archived