HFs Flyers top 20 Prospects

flyercanuck

Hockeys Future released their revamped ratings for the Flyers top 20. It's amazing what a difference in quality over the last few years. Konecny may well have been our best prospect a few years ago...HF has him as our 12th best, which is pretty low IMO. I think I'd have him at 6th myself.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/128017/philadelphia-flyers-top-20-prospects-list-new-champion/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=philadelphia-flyers-top-20-prospects-list-new-champion

Konecny...I think I'd have him at 6th myself.

Yeah. I don't pretend to understand that website's ranking system (he is a 7.5 D - what's D mean again?), but he looks more like a sure-fire NHLer than a bunch of guys above him, like Stolarsz. Aube-Kubel, although I like his crazy speed, look like he fits the classic tweener mold, for example.

No Tomek on the list?

One other observation: look at all those 2nd round picks in the top 10! Funny that. I had no idea Alt was a 2nd round pick. 

@Podein25

The number basically rates his skill, the letter the chances he'll reach that potential.

It's funny what you can do with 2nd rounders when you don't just throw them in on trades.

And of our current top 20, we can consider that somewhere between 5 and 8 or 9 of them will play more than 150 NHL games. The rest will not. 

Gotta keep drafting and restocking not only for those that make it, but to replace the duds that didn't.

No Tomek on the list?

Yes, agreed...at first glance, Tomek seems like a glaring omission. Same with Sandstrom. You would think one or both of these prospects would squeeze out somebody in the top 20.

The Flyers have some very interesting forward prospects....my gut says they will hit on one of Kase, Abe-Kubel, Fazleev and Marody. Kase in particular has some real skill, but his 5'8 status is really all that is holding him back from being ranked much higher.

There is a real good chance that Fazleev breaks into the WHL's elite group of scorers next year, a lot of factors in play here, but if the Hitmen have a lot of returning forwards, he has a real chance to up his prospect ranking.

If this was say....3-4 years ago, a prospect like Friedman would easily be in our top 5, he's a pretty talented guy, but his low ranking is just a product of a increasingly deep Flyers prospect pool. Barring a SLEW of injuries and trades, his chances of making the NHL are almost nil at this point, I expect him to eventually be traded for a late round pick.

No mention of Ambrosa, a Flyer defensive pick from a few years back. Not sure if he's done his NCAA years or where he stands in the org prospect wise. I wonder why a guy like Wilcox gets mentioned, but not Ambrosa, who is supposed to be a nice skater.

Sanheim and Provorov both averaged over a point per game last year in the WHL. Being a year older, these guys are going to make a push to be 80 or 90 pt guys on defense, again....depending on how much offense their respective teams have coming back.

Totally agree, Koenency needs to be ranked higher on this list. Only concussion issues will hold him back from not only being an NHL player, but an impactful NHL player.

I like what I read about Lindblom. Something tells me Hakstol will like his skill set....ditto with Leier. When you hear good wheels and "honest" hard working....those are nice starting points.

Seems to me, the Flyers need to be very careful about handing out longer type contracts to their bottom six, cause our prospects can make a real difference here, finally, the team speed we all crave is within our sights.

It's a good feeling to see that Laughton is not the Flyers highest rated prospect any longer. That says a lot about how this team re-stocked the cupboard over the last few seasons. 

And 7 of the top 10 on their list are defensemen. That's just bizarre in Flyers-land.

As others have stated, Parks is a free agent and should not be included. I add Tomok to the list AND, even though he is undrafted and signed as a free agent....I would take out Wilcox and replace him Martel. The guy is just to talented to leave off a top 20 prospects list IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around Martel not being in the top 20 Flyer prospects. Here we have a guy who went undrafted, but was still given a 3 year contract. He is, by all accounts the very best skating prospect we have.....AND last year in the QMJHL he had a whopping 48 goals and 102 pts.....so he is our best skater, has by far the best stats of any Flyer prospects but is *still* snubbed. Sorry, our prospect pool is not that deep that you can leave off a 102 pt forward with amazing wheels. Very odd.

Archived