What if we only had the 6 original teams still?

The Mountain Man

Just to entertain the question in a make-believe world.

All French speaking players would still play for the Canadiens, who would have 52 Stanley Cups by now.

The Maple Leafs would still suck.

The Detroit Red Wings would be trying to figure out how to survive without drafting Russian players.

The Hawks and the Red Wings would still be playing in very old buildings but at least Chicago would have a cool organ.

The Rangers would be playing in a tiny arena in Chelsea.

And no one would know or care.

my original post was to just look at the talent that could possibly exist if there were only 6 teams.

Yes, the talent would be amazing. Each team would be an all-star team.  :)

Based on what you see in the NHL today, how many teams do you think the league should have (from a talent perspective)?

In my opinion, the bottom forward line and the bottom defence pair on each team can go away. They're minor league talent. That's 90 forwards and 60 defencemen I'd get rid of for 150 players total. Assuming a roster of 12 forwards, 6 defence, and 2 goalies (20 players per team), that means I'd get rid of 8 teams. 

@BluPuk  @WordsOfWisdom

The Leafs would have the rights to player from Ontario. 

So, Connor McDavid is the top ranked junior in the world and he's right in your backyard...looks like the Leafs score huge in this draft

Leaf management: Naw, we already have enough forward prospects with Biggs and Gauthier, we're going goalie with the first overall.

I just feel sorry for you folks who never saw the 6 team league.

I'm about to turn 50 in November, and despite starting to love hockey at a VERY early age, expansion hockey is all I've ever known. You'd have to be 55 or older to have retained any of the org 6.

I'm about to turn 50 in November, and despite starting to love hockey at a VERY early age, expansion hockey is all I've ever known. You'd have to be 55 or older to have retained any of the org 6.

Correct. I'm just a HAIR past that.....   ;)

Archived